Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

*#*#4636#*#* GSM to CDMA, fact or fiction.

OP JusticeAA

22nd May 2010, 11:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 154

388 posts
More
So the *#*#4636#*#* GSM battery fix has been all over but I am unsure if it actually changes anything.

Here is what I have found:

I do the the *#*#4636#*#* dial, go to phone info, hit menu, then select radio band, force close, change to CDMA auto (PRL), then hit home.

Now here is the problem. Hold down home for recent programs and go back into testing (I found doing the *#*#4636#*#* lags and kills my phone sometimes). Hit Menu, force close, and take a look at what the preferred network type is: GSM.

As a test to the “visual glitch” theory, I changed the type to GSM/CDMA auto, when I return to the test menu, GSM/CDMA auto stays. So this menu is showing what it is actualy set to.

Every time you go to menu and select radio, the force close shuts off the radio and the menu says GSM. Is there really a “visual glitch” or does the GSM show because of the procedure followed??

Also it is referring to the PRL, which is the roaming list provided by Sprint, which is not going to have any GSM listing anyway.

I am not an expert by any means but there is more to this mystery then everyone is lead to believe. Battery life is a big issue and I am unsure if the “solution” is actually helping people.
22nd May 2010, 11:12 PM   |  #2  
Flag Wilmington, NC
Thanks Meter: 2

1,232 posts
More
The Time Without Signal fix works. Here's why.
Hitting menu and causing the force close causes it to reset to default. If you actually set it to GSM auto PRL, it is reading the Sprint towers off the PRL, and searching for a GSM signal at the same time. Try changing it to GSM only, and seeing if that causes the TWS to rise dramatically.
This solution was only meant to help people who's phones were searching for a non-CDMA signal.
23rd May 2010, 01:43 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

388 posts
More
Do we know if this is still a problem with the offical Sprint 2.1 update?
23rd May 2010, 01:49 AM   |  #4  
Flag Wilmington, NC

1,232 posts
More
It hasn't been a problem for a few months now.
23rd May 2010, 02:13 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

388 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdfv

It hasn't been a problem for a few months now.

I did not know that, I wonder how many people are doing this needless now.

I have been running fresh 2.1.1 and do it every time I reboot. No wonder I never saw a difference!
23rd May 2010, 05:27 AM   |  #6  
Flag SWFL
Thanks Meter: 148

325 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdfv

The Time Without Signal fix works. Here's why.
Hitting menu and causing the force close causes it to reset to default. If you actually set it to GSM auto PRL, it is reading the Sprint towers off the PRL, and searching for a GSM signal at the same time. Try changing it to GSM only, and seeing if that causes the TWS to rise dramatically.
This solution was only meant to help people who's phones were searching for a non-CDMA signal.

So if my phone is CONSTANTLY at 50% +/- TWS... is this normal or should I change something?
23rd May 2010, 05:43 AM   |  #7  
Flag Wilmington, NC

1,232 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmar13

So if my phone is CONSTANTLY at 50% +/- TWS... is this normal or should I change something?

You should follow my guide on how to reduce it. It's in the sticky wiki.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread