*#*#4636#*#* GSM to CDMA, fact or fiction.

Search This thread

JusticeAA

Dec 29, 2008
So the *#*#4636#*#* GSM battery fix has been all over but I am unsure if it actually changes anything.

Here is what I have found:

I do the the *#*#4636#*#* dial, go to phone info, hit menu, then select radio band, force close, change to CDMA auto (PRL), then hit home.

Now here is the problem. Hold down home for recent programs and go back into testing (I found doing the *#*#4636#*#* lags and kills my phone sometimes). Hit Menu, force close, and take a look at what the preferred network type is: GSM.

As a test to the “visual glitch” theory, I changed the type to GSM/CDMA auto, when I return to the test menu, GSM/CDMA auto stays. So this menu is showing what it is actualy set to.

Every time you go to menu and select radio, the force close shuts off the radio and the menu says GSM. Is there really a “visual glitch” or does the GSM show because of the procedure followed??

Also it is referring to the PRL, which is the roaming list provided by Sprint, which is not going to have any GSM listing anyway.

I am not an expert by any means but there is more to this mystery then everyone is lead to believe. Battery life is a big issue and I am unsure if the “solution” is actually helping people.

abcdfv

Dec 13, 2009
Wilmington, NC
The Time Without Signal fix works. Here's why.
Hitting menu and causing the force close causes it to reset to default. If you actually set it to GSM auto PRL, it is reading the Sprint towers off the PRL, and searching for a GSM signal at the same time. Try changing it to GSM only, and seeing if that causes the TWS to rise dramatically.
This solution was only meant to help people who's phones were searching for a non-CDMA signal.

kelmar13

Nov 30, 2009
SWFL
The Time Without Signal fix works. Here's why.
Hitting menu and causing the force close causes it to reset to default. If you actually set it to GSM auto PRL, it is reading the Sprint towers off the PRL, and searching for a GSM signal at the same time. Try changing it to GSM only, and seeing if that causes the TWS to rise dramatically.
This solution was only meant to help people who's phones were searching for a non-CDMA signal.

So if my phone is CONSTANTLY at 50% +/- TWS... is this normal or should I change something?