Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 48,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

3D games are running slower than the N1

Tip us?

clubtech
Old
(Last edited by clubtech; 27th May 2010 at 08:00 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 297
Default 3D games are running slower than the N1

So far i tested Raging Thunder 2 and Dungeon Hunter.
Both are running a little choppy on the EVO while they are smooth as butter on the N1. Not horribly laggy but the you can clearly see the difference.
I tried to disable Sense and any live wallpaper, but still the results are the same.
I hope this is a software issue which is going to be fixed prior to release.
HARDWARE: AT&T 8285 > iPhone 3G > Toshiba TG01 > iPhone 3GS > HD2 > AT&T N1 > EVO 4G > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy Tab > Samsung Nexus S > Atrix 4G > Motorola Xoom > Thunderbolt > Galaxy S II > Galaxy Tab 10.1 > HTC Flyer > E4GT > Galaxy Note > Galaxy S 3 > Galaxy Note II > HTC One > Galaxy Note 8 > Galaxy S 4

mrono
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
ewwwww, I really hope your right.
Sprint Evo 4G(Rooted)

Evo Links - NAND Root - 2.2 Root - (un)Root - Recovery - Roms - Radio - NexTANG Theme

clubtech
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 297
You hope i am right or wrong? lol.
Less complex games are running just fine on both devices. It is the more graphically complex games that are slightly choppy on the EVO.
HARDWARE: AT&T 8285 > iPhone 3G > Toshiba TG01 > iPhone 3GS > HD2 > AT&T N1 > EVO 4G > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy Tab > Samsung Nexus S > Atrix 4G > Motorola Xoom > Thunderbolt > Galaxy S II > Galaxy Tab 10.1 > HTC Flyer > E4GT > Galaxy Note > Galaxy S 3 > Galaxy Note II > HTC One > Galaxy Note 8 > Galaxy S 4

crazy talk
Old
Thanks Meter 74
does the Nexus have 2.2?

this is to be semi expected since the EVO has senseUI.

Pops_G
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Check out this video. At the start you can see the apps list scrolling is a bit choppy on the EVO, then in Linpack the score is only about 5.8. My HTC Incredible gets a score of 6.8 normally.

Finally in the 3d benchmark it is the slowest. Even lower than a Motorola Droid! What is going on here, is something making the EVO slower than equal spec'd phones?(N1, Incredible)
Phone: Galaxy Note LTE, Epic 4G, EVO 4G, DROID Incredible, HD2, AT&T Tilt2, AT&T Tilt

crazy talk
Old
Thanks Meter 74
the Nexus has 2.2, so it's bound to be faster. the Droid has stock 2.1, so it's not working as hard to run senseUI.

looks about right to me.

h0x90
Old
(Last edited by h0x90; 27th May 2010 at 08:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy talk View Post
the Nexus has 2.2, so it's bound to be faster. the Droid has stock 2.1, so it's not working as hard to run senseUI.

looks about right to me.
wondering why the incredible is scoring higher though (Post above yours)
unless its just a problem with the prelaunch software on it?

mrono
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Honestly, if the evo is going to not perform better then the droid that could very well kill it for me, if i'm going to upgrade i'm going to upgrade to the best, not the second best.
Sprint Evo 4G(Rooted)

Evo Links - NAND Root - 2.2 Root - (un)Root - Recovery - Roms - Radio - NexTANG Theme

Mecha2142
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm really hoping these devices tested are running a version of Eclair that hasn't been optimized yet. I mean, there's absolutely no way HTC could downgrade their flagship device compared to the Nexus One and Droid. I'll be ridiculously disappointed if these speed tests are accurate representations of the final Evo release.

atoy74
Old
Thanks Meter 43
You're splitting hairs regarding 3D performance. JIT this the main benchmark you should care about now. Next on Google's plate is optimizing 3D performance.