[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/
HOW TO ROOT YOUR HTC EVO
DO NOT USE A RUU FROM SPRINT IF U WANNA MAINTAIN ROOT. WAIT FOR ME OR SOMEONE HERE TO MAKE A ROOT UPDATE.ZIP.
Major thanx for those who helped:
(for the rooted build. without it none of this would be possible)
(for testing and modding a recovery for the EVO)
(for hosting the files)
(for his recovery work on the desire and legend)
(for his recovery source on github)
WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD WILL DO:
- wipe all of your data so brace for that. backup or what not
- Allow you to flash custom roms
- Boot into a custom recovery
- Write to system, boot and recovery partitions through recovery
WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD SADLY WONT ENABLE YOU TO DO:
- Write to system or recovery while in android
- Flash a custom recovery that can be booted into by holding vol down and powering on
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
download files below:
INSTUCTIONS FOR ROOTING:
- Put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard
adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
- Power off the phone
- Hold volume down while powering the phone on. continue to hold volume down until you see the WHITE
- After a few seconds it will begin to checking for files, and find PC36IMG.zip. while its doing this it will show a blue progress bar while its checking. (this takes 30 - 60 seconds to finish)
- It will then list all the images in the zip and ask you if want to flash. SAY YES
- When its finished it will ask you if you would like to reboot. AGAIN... SAY YES
- At this point it will boot into a rooted rom.
- YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!
- rename the PC36IMG.zip on your sdcard:
- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop and do:
adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip
- Extract the evorecovery.zip to your desktop
- plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop
- In a shell
adb reboot recovery
- this will reboot your EVO into recovery mode. at this point turn your attention to the directory u extracted the evorecovery.zip to.
For Windows XP ~~> Run recovery-windows.bat
For Vista and Windows 7 do it as Admin
- in a shell do:
For Linux ~~> ./recovery-linux.sh
- at this point turn your attention to the phone and navigate to create a Nandriod Backup. you can now flash custom roms, write, and make changes to system.
- to flash a custom rom put the rom on the root of your sdcard. wipe data, dalvic cache and chose the option to flash update.zip from sdcard.
Volume up/down moves through the list and Power selects.
Once you have finished and rooted your device. please flash another rooted rom from the forum. Flipz has made a root build of the rom that came on the device. it can be found HERE. you will need to wipe data and dalvic cache before flashing this. And again because i cant stress it enough... DO NOT accept a OTA update from Sprint or use a RUU, or u risk lossing root forever, and ever
HOW TO RETURN BACK TO STOCK BUILD:
git clone git://github.com/jhansche/amonra_bootable_recovery.git
git checkout supersonic
-Easy peasy- run the RUU in the first post of this thread. this is the only RUU that after flashing, you will still be able to root using this method. link below:
ROOT SAFE STOCK RUU
Buy me a coffee
#HTC-EVO | #HTC_EVO_SHIFT | #HTC-EVO-3D | #CyanogenMod