Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,248 Members 39,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do you keep your camera lens scratch-free?

Tip us?

naimmkassim
Old
(Last edited by naimmkassim; 22nd October 2011 at 05:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_htc View Post
I had an old screen protector that I cut a rectangle to cover the lens.
Looks OK but not perfect.

I may try to cut a circle to cover it properly.
Lol..u just give me a got idea!! Im going to try it on my sensation!!

Edit: Actualy i already try the rectangular one and its fit perfect. Tomorow i wil try to cut it in round shape one ;P

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App
HTC HD2, HTC Desire, HTC DHD, LG O2X, GT-P1000, HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XE, GT-N7000, GT-N8000, GT-7100
SM-N9005

Wekkel
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Default take out the lens

Perhaps too obvious, but I knocked out the camera lens in the battery cover. After more than a year still no scratches on the camera itself and perfect pictures (at least, for this camera unit). Protection is sufficient with a pouch.

naimmkassim
Old
(Last edited by naimmkassim; 26th October 2011 at 07:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimmkassim View Post
Lol..u just give me a got idea!! Im going to try it on my sensation!!

Edit: Actualy i already try the rectangular one and its fit perfect. Tomorow i wil try to cut it in round shape one ;P

Crap!! It just dont work..after few days dust started to accumulate between the rectangular screen protector and the camera lens. More scratch now!! Crap..crap!! >Śc

P/s: i did try to cut the screen protector round, but the glue of the screen just come out during cutting process..not work also..

HTC HD2, HTC Desire, HTC DHD, LG O2X, GT-P1000, HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XE, GT-N7000, GT-N8000, GT-7100
SM-N9005

braddersss
Old
Thanks Meter 3
just remove the scratched up bit of plastic and stop worrying, the lens is countersunk below the case anyway,

i removed the plastic lens from my battery cover after having the desire for about 2 weeks, 6-7 months later my pictures still come out as sharp and defined as when new,
if you get any dirt on the camera lens simply take off your battery cover and you can clean it easily,
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4
ROM: PACman v22.0.2
Recovery: TWRP

Memory:16gb Internal
Previous/Backup Phone: HTC Desire (AMOLED) Rooted + S-OFF
ROM: EuroSkank CM 7.2
Recovery: 4ext Hboot: 0.93.1000 AlphaRev cm7r2

Memory:Kingston 8gb class 10

naimmkassim
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersss View Post
just remove the scratched up bit of plastic and stop worrying, the lens is countersunk below the case anyway,

i removed the plastic lens from my battery cover after having the desire for about 2 weeks, 6-7 months later my pictures still come out as sharp and defined as when new,
if you get any dirt on the camera lens simply take off your battery cover and you can clean it easily,
The worry part is during clean up the camera lens. If i wipe it with some chemical n tissue, there is a high risk the lens get scratch ;c

SM-N9005

braddersss
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimmkassim View Post
The worry part is during clean up the camera lens. If i wipe it with some chemical n tissue, there is a high risk the lens get scratch ;c

well as i said mines been fine for the last 6-7 months, i just take the battery cover off and give it a wipe with my t shirt or something, no scratches so far,,
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4
ROM: PACman v22.0.2
Recovery: TWRP

Memory:16gb Internal
Previous/Backup Phone: HTC Desire (AMOLED) Rooted + S-OFF
ROM: EuroSkank CM 7.2
Recovery: 4ext Hboot: 0.93.1000 AlphaRev cm7r2

Memory:Kingston 8gb class 10

kuwlij
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersss View Post
well as i said mines been fine for the last 6-7 months, i just take the battery cover off and give it a wipe with my t shirt or something, no scratches so far,,
This may not be necessary!
I've been having this issue for ages too.. i clean the plastic lens but it appears to be scratched as pics come out hazy, just like other posters above. I have just pushed out the plastic lens on the battery cover as suggested and sure enough pics are instantly clearer.. however when inspecting the plastic lens cover i realized two things
* the sticky part is very sticky!
* the inside of the plastic part (the sticky side) appears to be dirty..

i cleaned it with one of those cloths you use for specs and since it's still very sticky i put it back in.. tried a few shots with the battery cover on and off, and i' can't notice any difference.. no longer hazy!

sure though, knocking it out avoids having to clean in form the inside .. but i'm afraid of scratching the inside lens.. that one's more difficult to replace

mmceorange
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
if you REALLY want to go all out, you could take the cover to a jewler/watch repair and have them replace the glass with sapphire crystal... it's so small that it may not cost an outrageous amount, but then they would have to cut it to size...

Vip_blast
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Bought myself another battery cover from ebay, I hope this one will last, gonna have to figure out how to maintain that new one scratch-free.

The one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130544376251...84.m1439.l2649
Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S III i9300 Sapphire Black - 16GB

Press "Thanks" if I've helped.

Garfield1970
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Another option for those worried about their lens ...

Amazon ( Sorry, I only found it on the german site ) has this item listed :

http://www.amazon.de/Ersatzglas-Kame...0922089&sr=8-3

It's a saphire glass replacement lens cover for our beloved Desire , and apparently is very scratchproof (according to reviews) . They had a slight quality problem early in the manufacturing process, the first items came out slightly too large, but it seems that's fixed by now ...

I will order one and give it a try , as I have quite bad scratches in mine after 1.5 years of normal use and don't really want to leave the camera itself uncovered :)