Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How do you keep your camera lens scratch-free?

OP Quist

22nd October 2011, 06:24 PM   |  #11  
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 95

1,221 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_htc

I had an old screen protector that I cut a rectangle to cover the lens.
Looks OK but not perfect.

I may try to cut a circle to cover it properly.

Lol..u just give me a got idea!! Im going to try it on my sensation!!

Edit: Actualy i already try the rectangular one and its fit perfect. Tomorow i wil try to cut it in round shape one ;P

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App
Last edited by naimmkassim; 22nd October 2011 at 06:27 PM.
25th October 2011, 10:01 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 58

218 posts
More
take out the lens
Perhaps too obvious, but I knocked out the camera lens in the battery cover. After more than a year still no scratches on the camera itself and perfect pictures (at least, for this camera unit). Protection is sufficient with a pouch.
26th October 2011, 08:35 AM   |  #13  
Flag Selangor

1,221 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimmkassim

Lol..u just give me a got idea!! Im going to try it on my sensation!!

Edit: Actualy i already try the rectangular one and its fit perfect. Tomorow i wil try to cut it in round shape one ;P

Crap!! It just dont work..after few days dust started to accumulate between the rectangular screen protector and the camera lens. More scratch now!! Crap..crap!! >Śc

P/s: i did try to cut the screen protector round, but the glue of the screen just come out during cutting process..not work also..

Last edited by naimmkassim; 26th October 2011 at 08:48 AM.
26th October 2011, 12:46 PM   |  #14  
Flag london
Thanks Meter: 3

71 posts
More
just remove the scratched up bit of plastic and stop worrying, the lens is countersunk below the case anyway,

i removed the plastic lens from my battery cover after having the desire for about 2 weeks, 6-7 months later my pictures still come out as sharp and defined as when new,
if you get any dirt on the camera lens simply take off your battery cover and you can clean it easily,
26th October 2011, 02:08 PM   |  #15  
Flag Selangor

1,221 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersss

just remove the scratched up bit of plastic and stop worrying, the lens is countersunk below the case anyway,

i removed the plastic lens from my battery cover after having the desire for about 2 weeks, 6-7 months later my pictures still come out as sharp and defined as when new,
if you get any dirt on the camera lens simply take off your battery cover and you can clean it easily,

The worry part is during clean up the camera lens. If i wipe it with some chemical n tissue, there is a high risk the lens get scratch ;c

26th October 2011, 11:33 PM   |  #16  
Flag london
Thanks Meter: 3

71 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimmkassim

The worry part is during clean up the camera lens. If i wipe it with some chemical n tissue, there is a high risk the lens get scratch ;c

well as i said mines been fine for the last 6-7 months, i just take the battery cover off and give it a wipe with my t shirt or something, no scratches so far,,
4th November 2011, 10:22 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 0

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersss

well as i said mines been fine for the last 6-7 months, i just take the battery cover off and give it a wipe with my t shirt or something, no scratches so far,,

This may not be necessary!
I've been having this issue for ages too.. i clean the plastic lens but it appears to be scratched as pics come out hazy, just like other posters above. I have just pushed out the plastic lens on the battery cover as suggested and sure enough pics are instantly clearer.. however when inspecting the plastic lens cover i realized two things
* the sticky part is very sticky!
* the inside of the plastic part (the sticky side) appears to be dirty..

i cleaned it with one of those cloths you use for specs and since it's still very sticky i put it back in.. tried a few shots with the battery cover on and off, and i' can't notice any difference.. no longer hazy!

sure though, knocking it out avoids having to clean in form the inside .. but i'm afraid of scratching the inside lens.. that one's more difficult to replace
4th November 2011, 04:19 PM   |  #18  
Flag Rochester, NH
Thanks Meter: 27

436 posts
Donate to Me
More
if you REALLY want to go all out, you could take the cover to a jewler/watch repair and have them replace the glass with sapphire crystal... it's so small that it may not cost an outrageous amount, but then they would have to cut it to size...
6th November 2011, 04:20 AM   |  #19  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 39

240 posts
Bought myself another battery cover from ebay, I hope this one will last, gonna have to figure out how to maintain that new one scratch-free.

The one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130544376251...84.m1439.l2649
10th November 2011, 11:56 AM   |  #20  
Flag Bascharage
Thanks Meter: 6

69 posts
More
Another option for those worried about their lens ...

Amazon ( Sorry, I only found it on the german site ) has this item listed :

http://www.amazon.de/Ersatzglas-Kame...0922089&sr=8-3

It's a saphire glass replacement lens cover for our beloved Desire , and apparently is very scratchproof (according to reviews) . They had a slight quality problem early in the manufacturing process, the first items came out slightly too large, but it seems that's fixed by now ...

I will order one and give it a try , as I have quite bad scratches in mine after 1.5 years of normal use and don't really want to leave the camera itself uncovered :)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread