TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

Any Pandora users running Froyo

OP mempf

29th May 2010, 02:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 28

49 posts
More
I have noticed that when I use Pandora on Froyo the audio quality is significantly worse than it was on stock 2.1 or cyanogenmod 5.0.7.1.

I am aware of the High and Normal settings in the preferences however it does not help.

Under 2.1 (stock and cyan) Normal would sound alright and High would sound fantastic.

Under 2.2 (froyo) High sounds bad and normal is horrible.

Has anyone else noticed the sound quality drop in pandora moving to Froyo?

This is independent of the song being streamed and is very noticeable when using good headphones.
29th May 2010, 02:51 AM   |  #2  
Flag Atlanta-ish
Thanks Meter: 3

342 posts
More
Are you using the stock 2.2 kernel or one with the audioboost patch?
29th May 2010, 02:54 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Vancouver

49 posts
More
I have tried using multiple kernels including stock, cyan 2.6.34 and ravens avs 2.6.33.4 kernels. Does not effect the problem at all.
29th May 2010, 03:38 AM   |  #4  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 9

31 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: Any Pandora users running Froyo
I'm running Paul's pre-root (including 4.06 radio and kernel that came with it) and sounds great to me, same as before (CM 5.0.6+oc/uv+audio mod+desire cam). In fact I'm not sure if I've reset it to stay on High with 3g yet since I updated. (Tmo USA N1 if it makes a difference ).

Wish I could give helpful input other than its possible. I know I wiped everything I could and flashed it over CM.
29th May 2010, 05:53 AM   |  #5  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 385

765 posts
More
Running Paul's root with IntersectRaven's .34 kernel and Pandora sounds as good as it did with his kernel on CM5.0.6.
29th May 2010, 05:57 AM   |  #6  
Chicago, IL USA
Thanks Meter: 72

484 posts
More
Haven't noticed a difference.
29th May 2010, 05:58 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

260 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey9000

Running Paul's root with IntersectRaven's .34 kernel and Pandora sounds as good as it did with his kernel on CM5.0.6.

same here.
29th May 2010, 06:07 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Vancouver

49 posts
More
Hmmm, I will look into this more and report back if I find anything.
Thanks for the help guys.
29th May 2010, 06:13 AM   |  #9  
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 2

89 posts
More
I as well noticed this problem, tried resting/full wipe, restarting, toggling settings to no results. Terrible audio quality even in high. Other sounds are not affected it seems. Running kernel that the update brought.
29th May 2010, 07:02 AM   |  #10  
Flag chicago area
Thanks Meter: 1

136 posts
Am I the only that has actually plugged the phone into an fm transmitter to use with my car stereo? Of course i am, you kids all have your bluetooth radios and your xms and syriusnessess. When using Pandora, the bass is much much louder in froyo than it was in all previous roms. Kernel with modded sound or not, the bass is big. So, yes, the sound is very different from what it used to be. Mids are too high and highs are meh... nonexistent. It doesn't sound bad on the phone or through earbuds, but unless you like rap, you probably won't like the sound coming through your car. But, I don't think that's anything some decent equilizer software can't fix. Personally, I think the sound is an improvement despite the focus on the lower end of the spectrum. In previous versions, it was to light and airy with no lowend.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
froyo, pandora, quality, sound
Previous Thread Next Thread