Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,021 Members 46,343 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

samsung wave instead of galaxy s?

Tip us?

xbcc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default samsung wave instead of galaxy s?

Hi all,

I want to use android, but the wave has camera flash and the same hardware as the galaxy s. Will it be possible to port android to wave easily? And is it likely that someone will do that in the future, since I can't do it myself?

Thanks in advance

Will.1
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Well, for one thing the Galaxy S has a larger screen as well as more storage space.
But i think the biggest advantage is the fact that it's running Android OS. To me, this offers much more liberty and potential in terms of 3rd party apps and development.
We all know how samsung is terrible at supporting their products, especially if it's not their flagship phone.
With the Galaxy S, i'm hoping many people will jump on the most powerful android smartphone yet, especially talented XDA devs.

kenkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcc View Post
Hi all,

I want to use android, but the wave has camera flash and the same hardware as the galaxy s. Will it be possible to port android to wave easily? And is it likely that someone will do that in the future, since I can't do it myself?

Thanks in advance
The Samsung Jet and Omnia2 had similar hardware specs too....and look where that got it.

Don't dream about it, it will never happen. I'm not being snarky....It's just a dream.

Pluto
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I Would've gotten the wave long time ago - smaller size , louder speaker (according to GSMA) , better looking , metalic body , camera flash

But the Bada OS just ruined the whole thing , if it ran on android damn it would've been nice ! , now i'll get an HTC Legend over the wave because of the beloved green robot

Ramsey
Old
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
I am actually getting interested in the Wave, I just don't like the colors of the UI sometimes. and I don't like only 3.3 screen :'( but the specs are as amazing as the galaxy and cheaper priced, and better to use when travelling since a bit smaller and in my opinion looks less classy than the galaxy s.
but it doesn't have light sensor but it does have flash, hmm...
the UI looks smoother than android, the browsing is very fast on the browser and has full flash, i'll look at more reviews.

edit: hmm the UI on GSM arena is much nicer than on mobile burn. it's similar to the galaxy s, blue instead of grey.. which one is the official one? or can we change?

loriolus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One thing stops me from getting the wave is the lack of 1900 umts band for the use in U.S. However, when Howard Chui previewed the phone on his website I could see the 3G sign. As far as I know Canada only uses 850 and 1900 bands, so it makes me hopeful that the tech specs on umts bands are incorrect.

Ramsey
Old
(Last edited by Ramsey; 4th June 2010 at 05:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
oh wow last night I was about to buy the wave from Handtec, then I started looking at my HTC Magic's android applications that I Need, and I realized they're not on Bada yet... and I can't hope that they will be, it seems like they're mostly making games for that OS, and I don't care at all about games.

I'll stick to Android and Galaxy S =D

edit: looked into Wave again and found that if we buy it from europe then we won't have 3g in the Americas because it doesn't have the hspa/3g 1900mhz band.

mr_arc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
with a f/2.6 lens, the flash isnt all that important. and as for using it as a flashlight? a tiny LED torch costs 0.50, buy one and keep it on your keys - hardly a deal breaker!

TheSSJ
Old
Thanks Meter 87

DONATE TO ME
Doesn't the wave have Bada? How the hell do you want to remove the proprietary OS? ^^
If you liked my tutorial(s)/support, click the thank you button

Phone history:
HTC Tattoo - sold
Motorola Milestone - died (RIP, HW Keyboard)
LG Optimus Speed - sold

Samsung Galaxy S3

Pluto
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I think the screen is too slim to put android on it , android requires wide screen , htc tatto's screen is wider than the wave -_-