5,600,919 Members 42,835 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to force EVDO only on TP2 without rebooting (SOLVED)

Tip us?

sysmai
Old
(Last edited by sysmai; 17th June 2010 at 07:55 PM.) Reason: Solved (Work Around)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default How to force EVDO only on TP2 without rebooting (SOLVED)

I appologize if this was asked before, but in all my searches I keep finding people wanting to force 1x over EVDO.

What I need is to force EVDO only without having to ##778# edit HDR only reboot every time. I need to do it some what like the TouchPro. At least without having to reboot every time.

My reasoning for needing this specific thing is in Lake Charles Sprint has been promising EV since before Hurricane Rita. They have been using that as an excuse as to why it is not available ever since. This is when I moved towards the forcing EVDO. I originally thought I was bouncing of a VW towers, but after talking to a buddy at sprint I find that all the EV towers are turned on, but not broadcasting the EV availabilty to peoples' phones.

Point being is since it is basically like a not broadcasted SSID on a router. When I was forcing EVDO on my TP I was using Sprints EV towers. So, I hope you can see my frustration with this specific situation.

Question:
Is there any way by regedit that is not the hidden modeofoperation (cause that don't work), or any freeware, something. That I can use to force EVDO only on my TP2 when I am using pure data connection without having to reboot the phone.

Note:
I am trying, if at all possible, to stay away from unlocking and flashing a custom rom. Not that I don't love everyone's work, but I get Flash Dance crazy and am always changing ROMs cause of a bug. This is the first Sprint factory ROM I have ever liked (slightly modified with addons of course).

Thank ya'll so much in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Solution (Work Around):
I am not a programmer or script writer. So, someone else is gonna have to do that part, but after about a week of aggrivated digging through my TP2 I found how to switch to EVDO Only without rebooting.

Open Registry Editor - Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\EPST - DWord entry PreferMode = 4 (Automatic) - Change Value to 10 (HDR Only) - Exit Registry editor - Disable and Enable Radio (I just go to comm manager and turn on/off Airplane Mode) - BAM EV Only without all the ##778# reboot junk

As far as I have searched, there has yet to be any solutions or workarounds for this CDMA EV Only that is kinda like the old Touch Pro way. Now if anyone cares please write a script or small macro that changes this registry entry from 4 to 10 and then disables and re-inits the phone radio. Then vice-versa. We can have a one button EV only swap for TP2 stock rom.

Hope this helps anyone else out there.

sysmai
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
140 views and no replies. must be a tough one or i was too long winded. ill shorten it.

Need to force EVDO only without going through the whole ##778# reset.

Have tried old TP way of HiddenModeOperation and that 3G program which is nice but doesnt swap to EV

drewcam888
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Do you realize that 3G on the tp2 is the same as EV?
Verizon - Note 2, Nexus, and DNA

sysmai
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
yes. Its the EV that I am attempting to get. Even though the program was supposed to switch to 3g I am assuming due to it not being broadcasted as available it is not doing a true force EVDO. I only say this because when I do ##778# and edit the modem to HDR only preferred. After reset I get the EV symbol and speeds. Any other way I have tried I do not.

Thank you for your response.

drewcam888
Old
Thanks Meter 5
try wmlonglife and maybe use it to force 3g
Verizon - Note 2, Nexus, and DNA

puff601
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
try wmlonglife and maybe use it to force 3g
@OP i have the same problem! i cant get Ev/3G unless i go into ##PST# either. ive tried WMLongLife and its hot trash... too many bugs...

anyone else know of a solution?

sysmai
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I have attempted a few differents styles of using WMLonglife, but at best it changes EPST settings from HDR only to CDMA only and Preferred HDR off.

With seeing that be done, by that software without a reboot. It makes me wonder if the author of the program could simply update it for our specific situation.

If WMLongLife can change the settings then there must be a way for us to do it.

sysmai
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Force EVDO scripts Tp2 Rhodium CDMA

here are some wannabe scripts. i wrote them on word mobile while driving a company truck. These are the first scripts i have ever written for win mobile. They work for me for now. I will combine them into one button with an if then type scenario.

Please these are very amature and just to help others out afraid to mess with the registry. Note: this is only for the touch pro 2 CDMA. any other device i cant tell u what it will do.

This has MortScript and rk-FltMode in the zip. which i can in no way take credit.
Attached Files
File Type: zip forceev.zip - [Click for QR Code] (134.2 KB, 156 views)

shahriar5252
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysmai View Post
here are some wannabe scripts. i wrote them on word mobile while driving a company truck. These are the first scripts i have ever written for win mobile. They work for me for now. I will combine them into one button with an if then type scenario.

Please these are very amature and just to help others out afraid to mess with the registry. Note: this is only for the touch pro 2 CDMA. any other device i cant tell u what it will do.

This has MortScript and rk-FltMode in the zip. which i can in no way take credit.

Your program has the ability to switch back and forth between EVDO only mode and Hybrid mode, but it does not have the ability to give 1X only mode, which is what everyone is looking for. If you can, please update your program to give 1X only mode.

By the way, on TP2 you can easily get data-only mode (which is like EVDO only mode but I think it also allows data over 1X too) by going to Phone/Menu/Options/CDMA Sevices tab/DDTM Mode and select ON.

sysmai
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
if i ever get time ill combine these all with selections. easily done with mortscript but takes me a minute being a noob. but i can quickly change values out for a separate 1x script for now