Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,243 Members 51,840 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[6/16]*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage!

Tip us?

trim81
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techknowfile View Post
I promise to have those requested tutorial out today, and also will be setting up a data server to collect information from people who are willing to do slightly more extensive tests and provide feedback on location, speeds, etc.

...any updates?

I am using this on a Palm pre... but seems this prl hack is not too stable, been getting so many Data connection errors today, here in Los Angeles

itmustbejj
Old
(Last edited by itmustbejj; 11th June 2010 at 01:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: *techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage!

I had written this off a loss until tonite. I was.getting 300 down/500 up on Sprint and around 100/80 on the VZ PRL. I tried the VZ PRL again tonight without success, so I updated back to Sprint (or so I thought). I rebooted and started getting crazy numbers 1.2mbps down and 800 up only to hit *2 to find I'm still on VZ prl. Weird but working. As long as 3g holds up I'm happy.

Edit: just got 1.6mbps down and 1.1 mbps down on 3g. Holy ****....somebody pinch me.

Edit Again: Well this morning as soon as I left my house my signal got all kinds of flaky and 3g speeds went anemic. I keep going from close to full signal, to no signal and 3g wanders on and off with pedestrian speeds.....there is definately potenital here, but more refinement is needed.

Has anyone looked into combining this with some of the ##DATA# tweaks that were seen to make a huge difference on the Pre? Their ##DATA# menu seems different than ours but I'm sure there are buffer settings somewhere to tweak. See here:
http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...onnection.html

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

brianb7590
Old
(Last edited by brianb7590; 11th June 2010 at 06:20 AM.) Reason: Fixed...
Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1
I'm hoping its just me, but, has anyone's camera stopped working after you applied the different PRL? I'm on the 40060 if it matters.

EDIT: Must have been something else because I performed a full wipe and its working again.
LG G2 (D801)

distincthead
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb7590 View Post
I'm hoping its just me, but, has anyone's camera stopped working after you applied the different PRL? I'm on the 40060 if it matters.

EDIT: Must have been something else because I performed a full wipe and its working again.
Yeah it must have been, the PRL has nothing to do with that hardware.
In wildness is the preservation of the world.

How vain it is to sit down to write, when one has not stood up to live.

InfiniteReality
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Default My Results

I did the whole upgrade to EVO thing from a Palm Pro which only connected at 1X in a decent size city. Sprint's been promising me that Lake Charles 3G since 2006-2007 (I call several times a year to ask) and of course they never come through. So when I picked up my EVO I was initally was excited to see the "3G" icon on it yet when I used the data the speeds SUCKED and aren't any better than 1X. The max I could get was 100K, which pisses me off cause I have to pay this $10 surcharge and get absolutely nothing out of it other than I own an EVO.

THANK YOU OP for this hack, I did just as your write up said and in less than 10 minutes (including calling Sprint for MSL) I now succesfully have "real" 3G data!! I get an average of about 850k and seen it as high as 1364k. I've tried turning data roaming off and still get the same speeds.

Also I had 2 EVO's side by side. Mine with the hack and the other with out, both ran the speed test and it's night/day difference in speed.

I'm still amazed how easy this was to do and now I can FINALLY enjoy my phone outside of my house's wifi!!

itmustbejj
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Those who this is working for, do you hold on to your 3G signal or does it constantly turn on and off. I got a great signal with great speed at home (where I have wifi and don't need it) but when I leave my house my signal goes to hell and I can't hold a 3g signal.

krazyflipj
Old
Thanks Meter 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by itmustbejj View Post
Those who this is working for, do you hold on to your 3G signal or does it constantly turn on and off. I got a great signal with great speed at home (where I have wifi and don't need it) but when I leave my house my signal goes to hell and I can't hold a 3g signal.
How can you tell your 3G signal turns on and off? To my knowledge the 1x signal never shows up even if ur not in a 3G location. The only way i'm able to test 3G is via speedtest app.

arozer
Old
(Last edited by arozer; 11th June 2010 at 03:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 277
I made an account on this forum JUST to reply here, and to say THANKS TechKnowFile!!

I tested my phone out a few times before doing this and got the results @ 212.203kbps at best.
After doing it I got 1,630Kbps!!!

Wow. Very impressive man. I even cleared out my cache before trying again so I actually get the right results.

Couldn't be happier.
Thanks bro.

Edit: Tested a few more times, not quite 1630, but still getting above 500 everytime.

itmustbejj
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyflipj View Post
How can you tell your 3G signal turns on and off? To my knowledge the 1x signal never shows up even if ur not in a 3G location. The only way i'm able to test 3G is via speedtest app.
Well when my 3g icon in status bar disapears I have no data connection whatsoever. I can't run a speedtest app or connect to the internet.

epphllps
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Re: *techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage!

Where r you located itmustbejj?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk