If you are on FW: 2.1 Read Part 2
MOD EDIT: For the Telus 2.0.1/2.1 Milestones, start at Part 2.
So you are on Firmware 2.0 or 2.0.1 and wanna get root permissions.
- First thing you need is the rooted update.zip, which you can download HERE
- Put the ZIP file on your SD card
- Shut down your phone
- Go into recovery mode by holding the Camera-Button and pressing Power-Up
- When you see the /!\ -sign press Volume-Up and the the Camera Button
- Select "Apply update.zip"
- Your'e done
Be sure that your phone have atleast 80% of charge.
- To root a 2.1 phone we need to downgrade the recovery
- For this we need a Only-Recovery SBF file which we can flash via RSD Lite
- First install the USB drivers from Motorola
- The you need the RSD Lite Tool | Linux machines can use the linux flasher (created by [mbm])
- And the Recovery-Only SBF (which will downgrade the Recovery Partition and not the system)
- Start the RSD Lite, select the SBF file
- Plug in your phone (while its off)
- Go into the Bootloader Mode by holding UP (on the hardware keyboard) and press Power-On for 2-3 seconds (if UP doesn't work try pressing X)
- Now select your phone which should be now visible in the RSD Lite tool
- Press Start
- The phone will reboot 1-3 times while the downgrade process. DO NOT unplug it
- When its done, you can apply the same method as in PART 1