Wow why is it so hard to embed a Youtube video on here
The startup sound of the HTC Evo 4G is one of the few things I find annoying about the phone. The fact that even plugging headphones into the Evo does not stop the sound is lame. Here's how you can disable it.
Fast and Easy Way for Froyo:
Root your device, use a File Browser (like Root Explorer) and rename the /system/customize/resource/SPC_animation_final.mp3 file.
- Your phone must be rooted with Toast's method
- You must be familiar with ADB and Toast's custom recovery.
Disable Startup Sound
- Connect your Evo to your computer thru usb and Enable USB debugging on the Evo.
- Reboot into recovery. In a commandline do: adb reboot recovery
- Start toast's custom recovery by running recovery-windows.bat as Administrator (or the equivalent for Linux and Mac). Do this by right-clicking on the recovery-windows.BAT file and choose Run as Administrator.
- Use a different commandline and do: adb shell
- Mount the system partition by doing: mount /system
- Skip to #9 if you are on 2.2 Froyo
- Go into first folder: cd /system/media
- rename the mp3 file: mv android_audio.mp3 android_audio.mp3.bak
- Go into 2nd director: cd /system/customize/resource
- Rename the mp3 file: mv SPC_animation_final.mp3 SPC_animation_final.mp3.bak
- You're done! Reboot: reboot
The Making Of
Physical split screen.