Multiple questions from a potential Android/Smartphone n00b
I have never owned a smart phone before the HTC Evo looks very sexy and is calling me. However, if I am going to jump on board to a smart phone then I have a few questions regarding the hacking of the device. Rooting looks very promising but I would simply like more details before I go all the way. If you could please go into the detail with your answers I would greatly appreciate it. A simply "yes" or "no" does really help me much.
1) What is 'root'ing a device. I have read a few how-to articles and seen a few videos but how would you describe it? I know what Jailbreaking is on the iPhone so I would assume it is very similar to that.
2) What are the benefits to rooting the HTC Evo?
I know there is WiFi /USB tethering but I was wondering what else is possible?
3) If I root the Evo will I (can I) still be able to receive over the air updates?
4) Will Sprint be able to tell I have a rooted device? (Aside from increased data usage)
5) Is the entire process of rooting the Evo reversible?
Ex. After rooting and installing a custom ROM can I go back to the original everything?
6) Obvious that as more time elapses better and more simpler means to root will be available, but at this very moment what do you recommend as the best tutorial to rooting an HTC Evo?
7) Probably my biggest concern with the device is OS fragmentation, more specifically I am afraid Sprint and HTC wont support the Evo once they push out Android 2.2. Obviously Google is hard pressed on out-featuring Apple and their new iOS4 so most likely we will see a 2.3 or other by years end or early next year. Is rooting the Evo and manually installing a custom ROM with newer versions of Android possible? Are their any drawbacks, such as incompatibility?
8) I personally really like HTC's Sense UI and if I rooted the device and then installed a custom ROM with FroYo (or other later Android version) will I lose the Sense UI? If I do lose the Sense UI by installing a custom ROM is it possible to get it back?
9) If I root will I be able to display more with the HDMI out? Currently the Evo can only output Gallery in 720p but I was hoping to do more such as the browser, apps such as games, and possibly everything/anything on the screen at any second (such as the home screens).
10) I know this is probably a stupid question, but how active are the developers for these custom ROMs? Can I expect more down the road?