[HOW TO] Safely Update Your Radio For Froyo Using Fastboot

Search This thread

Goblinlord

Sep 7, 2010
Nobody is going to go to that effort because a failsafe method already exists... called fastboot... :)

True enough... but it doesn't really accommodate those with locked bootloaders does it? What I think would probably be a simple addition to the update script would accommodate everyone. Anyways, I would think an md5sum check in a script is quick, simple, and safe. Also, no need for people to have fastboot installed on their computer.

Either way, I think it would be useful in certain situations and a "safety net" for those who don't have an unlocked bootloader so that they don't need to manually do all the checking. I will come up with whatever is needed and then post it up when I have the time ^^.

larf2k

Jun 17, 2009
Trying to get the facts straight...

Okay. So my situation is HORRIBLE 3g/HSPA speeds on T-Mobile, Seattle. Not usable speeds (less than 20kb/s a lot of the time). I'm running Froyo 2.2.1, CyanogenMod-6.1.0-RC1, and I have Baseband 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.12_7.

I have CyanogenMod loaded with ROM manager after using UniversalAndRoot to root my phone. So the bootloader is still locked. I don't really have an issue with unlocking the bootloader - I don't think I'll be cashing in on the warranty.

From what I've read in this post it seems that the fastboot/bootloader method is the most safe. But you can flash a new radio with an update.zip, but for some reason that is riskier...still don't really understand why. I understand the ultimate risk of updating a radio is bricking the phone, but is it because you are introducing an incompatible element to the bootloader (...?)

My questions:
  • Will updating/changing my radio help my speeds? My mouth waters at some peoples speedtest.net screenshots...
  • Did CM 6.1 change my radio or do I need to do that separately?
  • Is the Korean radio an option and why is it so much "better"?

I've honestly been trying to wrap my head around this so any help would be appreciated. Sorry to be such a newb :eek:

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
CM 6.1 recommends the 5.12 radio, and doesn't update it for you - you have to do it manually...

Fastboot carries less risk (never heard of it bricking a phone).
Recovery carries more risk...

I'm in eastern WA, using 6.1 with 5.12, and have great speeds. Seattle has H+ so you should be getting better speeds than me...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Maruzziello

Jul 31, 2013
Hey DJcmnz,

thanks for this thread. Very precise steps, to follow with care.
I have successfully updated my radio from 5.08.00.04 to 5.12.00.08.

Details of my N1:
The bootloader is stock (no BlackRose) which shows the pink line at the top ****UNLOCKED****
The recovery is ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0
The ROM is stock MIUI 2.3.30, the Android version is the 2.3.7 (GingerBread)

The bootloader screen now shows correctly the new version number of the radio, as well as in the ROM's system menu.
I have only used the fastboot method to update the radio, I could have done it from recovery, but actually fastboot is really "fast" and it does not require to switch on and off the external storage on the phone to put the files on the SD.

If I may suggest something:
  • I would emphasize the fact that at the prompt one should be in the current folder for the command [fastboot flash] to work,
  • step 14 (watch the little indicator on the phone screen) does not really happened on my phone, not sure why. I waited after the prompt told me that it was done, and then rebooted to the bootloader again via fastboot.
  • I have read around for few days, and happened to understand that the bootloader has to be unlocked, regardless of S being ON or OFF, in order for this flash to work. Maybe adding this in the prep phase would help.
  • Last, the title of this could be "how to safely update your radio for Froyo and GingerBread using Fastboot.
Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATING YOUR RADIO

IMPORTANT - READ ALL OF THIS POST​

I originally wrote this post for Kang-o-rama but, considering everybody will need to update their radio at some stage, though I would x-post it here. Hopefully a mod will sticky, at least for the next three or four weeks.

You phone is designed to support updating the radio image. The radio image is primarily used to control the mobile communication of your phone. Other functions are sometimes offloaded to the radio cpu including, in the case of the Nexus, some video processing. Because of the codependencies between the radio, the kernel and the rom, it is occasionally necessary to update your radio.

Froyo (Android 2.2) requires a new radio and so does CyanogenMod 6.0 and Kang-o-rama 1.0.

Updating your radio is safe if you do it properly and carefully. It is very unsafe if you do not. One of the consequences of a failed radio update is a bricked (useless) phone. This risk is not the same when updating a kernel or a rom.

To update your radio to a suitable version for Kang-o-rama 1.0, Froyo or CyanogenMod 6.0 using fastboot follow the following instructions below carefully. The scope of this guide does not extend to getting fastboot working on your computer and your phone connected. Please see the sticky threads in this forum and search for additional information if you are unsure.

1. Fully charge your phone
    2. Download the radio image from the link below
    3. Compare the MD5 checksum of the file you downloaded with the one printed below. This is very important, please do it. For Windows or OSX you can use the free HashTab application.
    4. Connect your phone to your computer
    5. Reboot your phone into the bootloader (fastboot mode)
    6. At the command prompt on your computer type: fastboot devices
    7. A value like HTXXXXXXXXXXX should be displayed with the word fastboot next to it
    8. Your phone screen should have FASTBOOT USB on it
    9. If all of the above is not exactly as described DO NOT PROCEED and resolve your fastboot problem
    10. To proceed, make sure your downloaded file is in your current directory
    11. At the command prompt type: fastboot flash radio froyo-radio-32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2.img - you must type it correctly!
    12. Now, observe the computer and be patient TOUCH NOTHING!!
    13. The process will copy the image to your phone, write the image to the radio partition and perform some magic be patient TOUCH NOTHING!!
    14. Watch the little indicator at the top of your phone screen.
    15. Once the process appears to finish (it may not say complete) wait a further FULL 60 SECONDS and be patient TOUCH NOTHING!!
    16. Then, and only then, reboot your phone.
    17. Your phone should reboot to your normal home screen and you should get a mobile connection.
    18. Remember, if you're still using an older rom some things won't work. Best you now upgrade to Kang-o-rama 1.0!

Download: froyo-radio-32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2.img
    MD5 Checksum: 3321c196d8ec1cf748fd20c3c4068520

Take care.