[DEV] 09/June v220.127.116.11 - fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery without a PC
THIS WILL NOT WORK ON UNREVOKED ROOT.
Originally Posted by paulobrien
This morning, Koush and I have been working on / stumbling through getting recovery running on a Evo without using a PC for devices rooted with a test image. The same technique also applies to the Legend and Desire. Presenting...
Fake-flash using a similar concept to the original root method, it launches a recovery image from the test image recovery, but instead of pushing the files from a PC, the files are extracted from an update.zip on the SD card.
You can now download and install the recovery via ROM Manager! It's a free app on the Market. Buy the premium version to support my work!
ROM Manager will ALSO install the recovery update.zip to /sdcard/update.zip. So if you ever hose your installation, simply start up in test/stock recovery mode, and navigate to apply sdcard:update.zip! And you'll be in ClockworkMod recovery!
When you want to launch the recovery image
- Download the fake-flash update zip from one of the links below
- Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)
ROM Manager is by FAR the easiest way to install this. It's free! Go get it!
- Turn on your device with 'volume down' pressed and select 'Recovery'
- When the exclamation mark appears, press and hold 'volume up' then press 'power'
- Select the second option, 'Apply sdcard:update.zip
- That's it, ClockworkMod recovery should launch!
For manual installation, use the following link: