This morning, Koush and I have been working on / stumbling through getting recovery running on a Evo without using a PC for devices rooted with a test image. The same technique also applies to the Legend and Desire. Presenting...
Fake-flash using a similar concept to the original root method, it launches a recovery image from the test image recovery, but instead of pushing the files from a PC, the files are extracted from an update.zip on the SD card.
ROM Manager will ALSO install the recovery update.zip to /sdcard/update.zip. So if you ever hose your installation, simply start up in test/stock recovery mode, and navigate to apply sdcard:update.zip! And you'll be in ClockworkMod recovery!
- Download the fake-flash update zip from one of the links below
- Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)
When you want to launch the recovery image
- Turn on your device with 'volume down' pressed and select 'Recovery'
- When the exclamation mark appears, press and hold 'volume up' then press 'power'
- Select the second option, 'Apply sdcard:update.zip
- That's it, ClockworkMod recovery should launch!
ROM Manager is by FAR the easiest way to install this. It's free! Go get it! For manual installation, use the following link: