5,598,463 Members 47,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dust under the Screen!

Tip us?
 
setzer715
Old
(Last edited by setzer715; 12th June 2010 at 08:28 AM.)
#1  
setzer715's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 202
Posts: 1,194
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Phoenix
Default Dust under the Screen!

Well, I just noticed earlier today that I have a bunch of dust forming in the bottom left had side of the screen. Looks like between digitizer and LCD. Already called in an RMA. Pics to follow (once wife is home with camera).

Here is the pic.
Nexus 5 - PurityROM
Nexus 10 - PurityROM
Nexus 4 - My Son is using it running PurityROM
TMO SGSIII - CM10.1
HTC One S - Sold
TMO SGSII - Sold
Sensation 4G - Sold
MT4G - Got a new one! Stock 2.3.5 with root.
Nexus One - CM9!
Vibrant - Let in-law use it. Just wasn't cutting it for me.
MyTouch3G Slide - Returned
MyTouch 3G - Sold
G1 - Sold
 
setzer715
Old
#2  
setzer715's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 202
Posts: 1,194
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Phoenix
Bump, for everyone to see the pic.
Nexus 5 - PurityROM
Nexus 10 - PurityROM
Nexus 4 - My Son is using it running PurityROM
TMO SGSIII - CM10.1
HTC One S - Sold
TMO SGSII - Sold
Sensation 4G - Sold
MT4G - Got a new one! Stock 2.3.5 with root.
Nexus One - CM9!
Vibrant - Let in-law use it. Just wasn't cutting it for me.
MyTouch3G Slide - Returned
MyTouch 3G - Sold
G1 - Sold
 
WilliamStern
Old
#3  
WilliamStern's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 630
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Fl.
I've heard of dust getting under the screen, but damn that's pretty bad. Have you tried calling TMO, and have them exchange it for a new phone? I just can't see why they wouldn't do it. Plus, you're still under the 14 day exchange period, no questions asked.
 
setzer715
Old
#4  
setzer715's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 202
Posts: 1,194
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamStern View Post
I've heard of dust getting under the screen, but damn that's pretty bad. Have you tried calling TMO, and have them exchange it for a new phone? I just can't see why they wouldn't do it. Plus, you're still under the 14 day exchange period, no questions asked.
Yeah, sorry, to be more specific, for employees (me) you have to RMA the phone, then once received and verified, they will send you another. Yes, its a BS process, so as a customer, you don't have it too bad! Haha, anyways, process is in motion.
Nexus 5 - PurityROM
Nexus 10 - PurityROM
Nexus 4 - My Son is using it running PurityROM
TMO SGSIII - CM10.1
HTC One S - Sold
TMO SGSII - Sold
Sensation 4G - Sold
MT4G - Got a new one! Stock 2.3.5 with root.
Nexus One - CM9!
Vibrant - Let in-law use it. Just wasn't cutting it for me.
MyTouch3G Slide - Returned
MyTouch 3G - Sold
G1 - Sold
 
NJAZ
Old
#5  
NJAZ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 266
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ABQ
I thought I was the only one! While, not as bad as yours I have debris collecting in the same spot! I am sending both phones I got back. I am going to use this post to demonstrate that this is potentially a flaw in the design. What a bummer, I love this phone but I can't afford for there to be a gap for dust to enter under the screen. So glad I saw this post.
Daily: Nexus One
Recovery: AmonRa 2.2.1
Radio: 5.12.00.08
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Daily 2: MT3GS
Recovery: Clockwork Mod (S-OFF)
Radio: 7.09.35.10
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Back Up/Old Friend: G1
SPL: Danger/Death
Recovery: RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan
Radio: 2.22.23.02
ROM: SuperBadCM5 1.7 @ oc615
 
NJAZ
Old
#6  
NJAZ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 266
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ABQ
There are multiple light leaks around the plastic housing surrounding the touch screen. Inspect the seam surrounding the top portion of the phone carefully while the display has a white web page up. My wife's MT3G Slide has four big gaps that can bee seen on the seam of the plastic housing surrounding the screen. Mine has 3 of theses gaps one of which has already allowed dust in under my screen. I cannot believe that these flaws were not found upon inspection after the units were assembled. I am so disappointed; I was really enjoying the phone. Thank goodness I am still in my buyers remorse. If this would have happened in a warranty situation I would be stuck in a loop of refurbished devices with the same issue all while being stuck in a new 2 year contract. Dodging a bullet on this one.
Daily: Nexus One
Recovery: AmonRa 2.2.1
Radio: 5.12.00.08
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Daily 2: MT3GS
Recovery: Clockwork Mod (S-OFF)
Radio: 7.09.35.10
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Back Up/Old Friend: G1
SPL: Danger/Death
Recovery: RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan
Radio: 2.22.23.02
ROM: SuperBadCM5 1.7 @ oc615
 
boldfacelies
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 118
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAZ View Post
There are multiple light leaks around the plastic housing surrounding the touch screen. Inspect the seam surrounding the top portion of the phone carefully while the display has a white web page up. My wife's MT3G Slide has four big gaps that can bee seen on the seam of the plastic housing surrounding the screen. Mine has 3 of theses gaps one of which has already allowed dust in under my screen. I cannot believe that these flaws were not found upon inspection after the units were assembled. I am so disappointed; I was really enjoying the phone. Thank goodness I am still in my buyers remorse. If this would have happened in a warranty situation I would be stuck in a loop of refurbished devices with the same issue all while being stuck in a new 2 year contract. Dodging a bullet on this one.
I tried saying this in a post and people just made fun of me for being "anal retentive." I'm glad someone else is bringing this up. It is a huge flaw in design.
G1 -> G2x. Love that CyanogenMod.
 
NJAZ
Old
#8  
NJAZ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 266
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ABQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfacelies View Post
I tried saying this in a post and people just made fun of me for being "anal retentive." I'm glad someone else is bringing this up. It is a huge flaw in design.
You were dead on with this. I thought you were referring to the hard buttons below the screen. Speaking of those buttons; that is also a design flaw as it appears dust can get under the screen there as well. As one pushes down those buttons it exposes the edge of the touch screen. I should have taken your words more seriously instead I was dumbstruck by what is an otherwise great phone.
Daily: Nexus One
Recovery: AmonRa 2.2.1
Radio: 5.12.00.08
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Daily 2: MT3GS
Recovery: Clockwork Mod (S-OFF)
Radio: 7.09.35.10
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Back Up/Old Friend: G1
SPL: Danger/Death
Recovery: RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan
Radio: 2.22.23.02
ROM: SuperBadCM5 1.7 @ oc615
 
NJAZ
Old
#9  
NJAZ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 266
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ABQ
Just checked my screen in the sun ... dust everywhere under the screen. Bye bye beautiful Espresso; you are fatally flawed.
Daily: Nexus One
Recovery: AmonRa 2.2.1
Radio: 5.12.00.08
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Daily 2: MT3GS
Recovery: Clockwork Mod (S-OFF)
Radio: 7.09.35.10
ROM: CM7 Nightly

Back Up/Old Friend: G1
SPL: Danger/Death
Recovery: RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan
Radio: 2.22.23.02
ROM: SuperBadCM5 1.7 @ oc615
 
N1M1TZ
Old
(Last edited by N1M1TZ; 14th June 2010 at 10:25 AM.)
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 159
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Martinez, CA
Ahh, I found a pin sized hole under the slide behind G button. Also if you open the slide, and use your phone that it turns on the light you will notice light inside the micro usb connector. I am not sure if this means that dust can pass through it also.

Will post pic of said pinhole later when it gets a little dark here. Will try blowing in some baby powder into that hole to see if it does get into the screen.

EDIT: Pics of pinhole behind G button at the back of the slide.

Photo of phone with LCD on. Noticed the pinhole with some light showing thru and the micro usb connector showing some light.

Photo of the phone with display off.

EDIT: I might bring to T-Mo store for replacement but not giving up on this phone. Goodluck with the Samsung S.
(`..`..`..--..`..`..)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...