Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

TWRP for Nexus 6 and 9 Available, Unofficial CM12 Alpha for HTC Explorer! – XDA TV

Team Win Recovery Project for the Nexus 6 and Nexus … more

Jolla Tablet Announced: The Second Sailfish OS Device

A little over a year ago, Jolla released its first smartphone with the brand new Jolla … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Improperly grounded touchscreen?

OP DaytonaZ33

12th June 2010, 05:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
My capacitive touchscreen has been having a pretty odd issue. If I lay the phone on a bed or desk and try to use the touchscreen with only one finger, I get all sorts of weird input on the screen. Then, if I touch the phone casing while repeating the same motion with the same finger (anywhere on the side of the casing or rear panel) the touchscreen works flawlessly.

Right now, my device is sitting on my bed, if I unlock it and try to pull down the notification window shade with just one finger, it's impossible. If I touch the casing with another finger and then try to pull down the shade, it's flawless.

From my understanding, in a capacitive touchscreen, a layer of electrons (ions?) is passed over the screen and a sensor detects where the flow of electrons is interrupted by the electrical conductivity of the human body. It seems that my phone is having issues with the electrons not just flowing over the screen, but around the casing as well, causing issues.

Anyone else experiencing this?
12th June 2010, 05:06 AM   |  #2  
Mecha2142's Avatar
Senior Member
North Miami
Thanks Meter: 5
 
407 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaZ33

My capacitive touchscreen has been having a pretty odd issue. If I lay the phone on a bed or desk and try to use the touchscreen with only one finger, I get all sorts of weird input on the screen. Then, if I touch the phone casing while repeating the same motion with the same finger (anywhere on the side of the casing or rear panel) the touchscreen works flawlessly.

Right now, my device is sitting on my bed, if I unlock it and try to pull down the notification window shade with just one finger, it's impossible. If I touch the casing with another finger and then try to pull down the shade, it's flawless.

From my understanding, in a capacitive touchscreen, a layer of electrons (ions?) is passed over the screen and a sensor detects where the flow of electrons is interrupted by the electrical conductivity of the human body. It seems that my phone is having issues with the electrons not just flowing over the screen, but around the casing as well, causing issues.

Anyone else experiencing this?

This appears to be a significant issues of owners of the HTC Incredible. You might get more useful information in that board, seeing as how they've been experiencing it for much longer than we have.
12th June 2010, 05:30 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Wow, the video that they have on the Incredible forums of the phone on the Styrofoam is exactly the same issue I am seeing on my device.

I would link it, but apparently new users aren't allowed links. Ugh, this is a real bummer. Especially since that guy had 2 replacements sent to him, both with the same issues.
12th June 2010, 05:39 AM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
I too am experiencing this. I want you to try something a little different. Pull the kickstand out and stand it up on the bed. Then put your finger on the kickstand and you should be able to pull the notification bar down all the way to the bottom and let it lock with your other hand while still keeping the finger on the kickstand. Then take that finger off of the kickstand then slowly bring the notification menu bar back towards the top with your finger. Tell me your results. And i'll let you know if we had the same.
12th June 2010, 05:40 AM   |  #5  
Mecha2142's Avatar
Senior Member
North Miami
Thanks Meter: 5
 
407 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
More
It appears that HTC has got some serious quality control to enforce on their recent devices. At this point, releasing a flagship phone with these issues is nothing short of unacceptable. I'm as big of an HTC fanboy as they come, but I'm really considering switching loyalties to Motorola is this crap continues. It's bad enough being capped at 30fps on the Evo.
12th June 2010, 05:45 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
If I put my finger on the kickstand I can pull down the notification bar completely, without issue. When I let go and pull the bar up, it works, but looks like it is trailing behind where my finger is by about a half inch, until I get roughly 3/4 of the way up to the top then it passes my finger like i'm not touching the screen anymore.
12th June 2010, 05:47 AM   |  #7  
Mecha2142's Avatar
Senior Member
North Miami
Thanks Meter: 5
 
407 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaZ33

When I let go and pull the bar up, it works, but looks like it is trailing behind where my finger is by about a half inch, until I get roughly 3/4 of the way up to the top then it passes my finger like i'm not touching the screen anymore.

That might be the touch input lag we're experiencing as well. This may be tied to the 30fps graphic limit on the Evo.
12th June 2010, 05:53 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
The 30 fps limit is disconcerting, but that seems like it is something that could be fixed through firmware, however I doubt this issue is fixable.
12th June 2010, 05:56 AM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Yeah, that's the exact same response I received from it; except when going back up, i reached the 1/2 way point on the screen and the notification bar shot up.
12th June 2010, 06:05 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Believer

Yeah, that's the exact same response I received from it; except when going back up, i reached the 1/2 way point on the screen and the notification bar shot up.

Well this is slightly depressing.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes