XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally got Root with 2gig card that came with phone

Tip us?

sShadowSs
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Angry Finally got Root with 2gig card that came with phone

I've posted this inside another thread but decided to make a new one so others can see.

To all of you guys who are giving up - DON'T !

Here's how I finally got root on my DINC after about 3 days of trying.
I've read and watched almost every post and walk-throughs available in this forum and few others and was still unable to get into ADB Shell using any of the methods and tricks available and even though none of them worked I kept trying until I found a post on adndroidforums.com by Centsy. So along with his instructions and combination of many others here's how I achieved root:

1. Download the file from the 10 minute incredible root video on YouTube by mejdam. (can't post the link cause I'm new to the forum).
2. Unzip the file and run SDK setup.
3. As soon as SDK setup runs it gives an error message. Close it. then hit Cancel on next window.
4. While still in Android SDK and AVD Manager click on Available Packages (on the left) and then hit the plus sign in the right window for the repository. It will give you a list of packages available. Download the very last one which is the USB_Driver. It will add 'usb_driver' folder to your SDK folder where you ran sdk setup from.
5. Modify android_winusb.inf file inside the 'usb_driver' folder by adding these lines at the end of [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections:

;HTC Incredible
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94

6. I used the 2 gig Sandisk memory card that came with the phone. Had it FAT32 full formatted on the pc.
7. insert the card into the phone wait for it to be recognized
8. connect the phone to the pc and use the modified inf file of Android SDK usb_driver to get the phone connected and drivers installed. Note that I do not have HTC Sync installed on my pc.
9. on the phone go to settings->applications->development->turn on USB Debugging. wait for the phone to be recognized
10. open command prompt, navigate to your SDK\Tools folder and type in: adb devices. when you hit enter it should list your phone as being connected.
11. at the prompt type: adb reboot recovery, hit enter
12. as soon as the prompt is back type: loop and hit enter to start the adb shell loop. As soon as the loop starts running, the phone should show the white HTC Incredible screen, start clicking in and out the sd card before you hear the device disconnected sound on your pc. keep clicking the card in and out until you hear device connected sound on you pc. If you still don't see THE message we are looking for after another 10, 15 seconds stop clicking the card. take the battery out of the phone, put it back in, wait for it to reboot and repeat steps 11 and 12.

I had to do steps 11 and 12 about 3 times when I said to myself - next time is the last time and if it doesn't work then I'm going to get the 2gig PNY card that everyone is saying helps them achieve root. Then all of the sudden it took a little longer for the device connected sound to come up and the mouse cursor turned to the Waiting Hour-Glass and as soon as I heard the sound I saw the good old error message we are all striving to see. After that I just followed the instructions on the 10 minute root video to get the phone rooted.

Never give up, Never surrender !

Hopefully this will help some of you guys to achieve root and thanks to everyone who's hard at work on getting this great phone rooted.

sonypete
Old
(Last edited by sonypete; 17th June 2010 at 02:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,
Having issues with your Step #12. You say to click the card in and out when the white HTC screen comes up and do it till the first disconnect sound. Then you go on to say keep clicking untill it connects. Then you says 10-15 seconds after the connect sounds keep clicking. Don't you mean to say keep clicking from white HTC screen till 10-15 seconds after the 2nd sound(the connect sound) So basically clicking for over 30seconds.

Please clarify as I'm thinking you meant differently thne what you typed. I too have a stock 2G sandisk card that came with my phone and so want to get this rooted without buying a PNY card hah.

- Pete

sShadowSs
Old
(Last edited by sShadowSs; 17th June 2010 at 03:11 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonypete View Post
Hi,
Having issues with your Step #12. You say to click the card in and out when the white HTC screen comes up and do it till the first disconnect sound. Then you go on to say keep clicking untill it connects. Then you says 10-15 seconds after the connect sounds keep clicking. Don't you mean to say keep clicking from white HTC screen till 10-15 seconds after the 2nd sound(the connect sound) So basically clicking for over 30seconds.

Please clarify as I'm thinking you meant differently thne what you typed. I too have a stock 2G sandisk card that came with my phone and so want to get this rooted without buying a PNY card hah.

- Pete
Basically once the white screen comes up, start clicking the card in and out until about 10, 15 seconds after the 2nd connect sound that windows give you. However, you MUST start pushing the card in and out before the 1st disconnect sound.

sonypete
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Okay cool. Fingers crossed I have been trying since yesterday and about to jump out the window hah.

- Pete

Tytanius
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Wow, I got it first time with this method! Thanks a lot! I am also using the stock 2gb card that came with the phone.

sonypete
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks man. I got this to work twice in about 4 tries. 1st time it worked I accidently selected reboot option. So had to retry this method. My clicks were medium speed not very fast and not excessively slow in case that helps anyone. About 1 a second.

- Pete
(2G Sandisk Rooter hehe)

KingJ50
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey this method worked to get the error but I can not write to the SDCard, I get the following when I try to push something: failed to copy 'busybox' to 'sdcard/busybox: Permission Denied

It is the same with any file and I did Apply sdcard:update.zip

Please help!

dreamersipaq
Old
(Last edited by dreamersipaq; 17th June 2010 at 06:34 PM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 31
Default I think this will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ50 View Post
Hey this method worked to get the error but I can not write to the SDCard, I get the following when I try to push something: failed to copy 'busybox' to 'sdcard/busybox: Permission Denied

It is the same with any file and I did Apply sdcard:update.zip

Please help!
Once you get error, I believe that you need to run the "apply update.zip" once and let it fail. Then you can adb to the sdcard.

PS, this method never worked for me, no matter how much I tried.

NCX Designs
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamersipaq View Post
Once you get error, I believe that you need to run the "apply update.zip" once and let it fail. Then you can adb to the sdcard.

PS, this method never worked for me, no matter how much I tried.
Same here, i still can't get to adb shell . . .

TP2>Incredible>DroidX>Incredible>ThunderBolt> GalaxyNexus LTE> Galaxy SIII> Moto X
Tabs: Asus Transformer TF101>Galaxy Tab 10.1>iPad4
Don't forget to click the "THANKS" button if i helped you, or you enjoy my work!
Buy me a Mello Yello, click here to donate!
Want to see my themes? Click here for WM6.5 and here for Droid Incredible Themes.

Cameron_S
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I got into adb doing the click on the 3d try but it kept failing to push the payload and then I accidentally restarted the phone. AHHHH, just spent 30 minutes doing the same thing and couldn't get back in.