To all of you guys who are giving up - DON'T !
Here's how I finally got root on my DINC after about 3 days of trying.
I've read and watched almost every post and walk-throughs available in this forum and few others and was still unable to get into ADB Shell using any of the methods and tricks available and even though none of them worked I kept trying until I found a post on adndroidforums.com by Centsy. So along with his instructions and combination of many others here's how I achieved root:
1. Download the file from the 10 minute incredible root video on YouTube by mejdam. (can't post the link cause I'm new to the forum).
2. Unzip the file and run SDK setup.
3. As soon as SDK setup runs it gives an error message. Close it. then hit Cancel on next window.
4. While still in Android SDK and AVD Manager click on Available Packages (on the left) and then hit the plus sign in the right window for the repository. It will give you a list of packages available. Download the very last one which is the USB_Driver. It will add 'usb_driver' folder to your SDK folder where you ran sdk setup from.
5. Modify android_winusb.inf file inside the 'usb_driver' folder by adding these lines at the end of [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections:
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94
6. I used the 2 gig Sandisk memory card that came with the phone. Had it FAT32 full formatted on the pc.
7. insert the card into the phone wait for it to be recognized
8. connect the phone to the pc and use the modified inf file of Android SDK usb_driver to get the phone connected and drivers installed. Note that I do not have HTC Sync installed on my pc.
9. on the phone go to settings->applications->development->turn on USB Debugging. wait for the phone to be recognized
10. open command prompt, navigate to your SDK\Tools folder and type in: adb devices. when you hit enter it should list your phone as being connected.
11. at the prompt type: adb reboot recovery, hit enter
12. as soon as the prompt is back type: loop and hit enter to start the adb shell loop. As soon as the loop starts running, the phone should show the white HTC Incredible screen, start clicking in and out the sd card before you hear the device disconnected sound on your pc. keep clicking the card in and out until you hear device connected sound on you pc. If you still don't see THE message we are looking for after another 10, 15 seconds stop clicking the card. take the battery out of the phone, put it back in, wait for it to reboot and repeat steps 11 and 12.
I had to do steps 11 and 12 about 3 times when I said to myself - next time is the last time and if it doesn't work then I'm going to get the 2gig PNY card that everyone is saying helps them achieve root. Then all of the sudden it took a little longer for the device connected sound to come up and the mouse cursor turned to the Waiting Hour-Glass and as soon as I heard the sound I saw the good old error message we are all striving to see. After that I just followed the instructions on the 10 minute root video to get the phone rooted.
Never give up, Never surrender !
Hopefully this will help some of you guys to achieve root and thanks to everyone who's hard at work on getting this great phone rooted.