Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 36,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUTORIAL] How to unpack Android ROMs on Windows

Tip us?

nikoan89
Old
(Last edited by nikoan89; 19th June 2010 at 01:59 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Cool [TUTORIAL] How to unpack Android ROMs on Windows

As all of you well know, Android is an open source operating system and as such the development and modding are the bread and butter for devices with this OS.
In this thread I'll explain how to extract the firmware partition containing the operating system and programs with a Windows PC.
The purpose of this thread is to share knowledge, so feel free to help me to dump device such as Acer, Samsung and Sony Ericsson, expecially I need someone that help me with Acer's .bin
Diamond -> Touch PRO2 -> Milestone -> Desire -> Desire HD -> HD7 -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Note -> Evo 3D & Flyer

If you want to speak with me in Italian look at: www.cellularmagazine.it

Follow me on
The Following User Says Thank You to nikoan89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nikoan89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
1. Unpack the system partition from an HTC ROM

What you need:

Download and install all the tools (Unyaffs it's a prompt executable, so it isn't installable)

Now you need an HTC ROM, download one at your pleasure from Conflipper's site: http://www.shipped-roms.com/shipped/

Once you have downloaded it, right click on the ROM executable and select Extract with UniExtract in the subfolder (v.fig1), select Isxunpack extraction and then clik on the OK button (v. fig2)

Now in the subfolder you have the various files which make up the executable, including data1.cab which is the file that we are more interested in (do not delete other files).
Open ZipScan, go to File -> Open Archive File... and browse until select the data1.cab. You should see something like this:

Extract from the cab only the ROM.zip and open this file with any archives extraction software (eg WinRAR or the same ZipScan). Inside you have various .img files which make up the ROM, but for the purposes of this guide, we need only the system.img.

Copy in a blank folder this file, unyaffs.exe and cygwin1.dll (you'll find it in C:\Cygwin\Bin).

Now open Cygwin from Start -> All Programs to ensure that its functions are integrated to the Windows Prompt and close it.

Open the Windows Prompt (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories) and position yourself in the folder containing the files using the cd command or alternatively install this .reg which allow you to open the Windows Prompt in the chosen folder by command in the context menu (Right click on the folder -> Command Prompt Here).

Now the last thing that you have to do is to give the extraction command: unyaffs system.img

Et voilą, now you have the folders containing the extracted system.

Enjoy
Diamond -> Touch PRO2 -> Milestone -> Desire -> Desire HD -> HD7 -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Note -> Evo 3D & Flyer

Follow me on
The Following User Says Thank You to nikoan89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nikoan89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
2. Unpack the system partition from a Motorola ROM

°°°Coming Soon°°°

Follow me on

nikoan89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
°°°reserved°°°

Follow me on

nikoan89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
°°°2nd reserved°°°

Follow me on

nikoan89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
°°°3rd reserved°°°

Follow me on

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1,729
Thank you! I had found a different way but this will save some steps.

kEviN.H
Old
Thanks Meter 0
mark

i will see

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

ddotpatel
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Someone once told me you can just run the .exe file, let it open, use windows to search for the rom.zip that would have been extracted into a temp folder, drag&drop to another location, then cancel the .exe again.

Haven't tried this myself though.

What else can you show us in windows?... Is it at all possible to extract ramdisc thingies from kernels so we can apply one custom kernel to other roms ourself?
... or should I bite the bullet and install/learn how to use ubuntu?
Favourite Useful Links,...
BTDAG's [Guide] Complete Newbie Guide to Install a Custom Rom & Newbie FaQ
PHAELOX's [HOW TO] Make your own bootscreen and create signed zip
Some useful info from BONESY on adding apps to a base ROM here --> How to create "update.zip" for integrate apps?

Past to present,... Nokia 3330, 6120, 6820, 6600, 6630, N80, N73, 5800
Never again,... Now,... HTC HERO BABY!!!

NeoS
Old
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - There is no N00b...
Thanks Meter 839

DONATE TO ME
Nice initiative. Finish the guides and I'll see to it that it's stickied.

|How to make a good signature|How to be a new user|Rules|Moderator List|

Device list in chronological order: Nokia 7650, Nokia 6260, Nokia N80, HTC Artemis, HTC Polaris, HTC Blackstone, HTC Iolite, HTC Passion, Samsung GT9100, Asus Grouper, LG Mako, LG Hammerhead. Which one will be next?

Tags
android, dump, system.img