Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] MD5sums: What they are...and how to verify them!

OP xCALLmeKING

20th June 2010, 11:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag WA
Thanks Meter: 36

142 posts
More
What is an MD5sum?

An MD5sum is a commonly used hash value that is created to verify the integrity of files. Here at XDA-developers, MD5sum values are provided by developers to allow users to verify that a file download is not corrupt or been altered.

This is a security feature that XDA users are provided with to verify the integrity of downloaded files for personal use.

DISCLAIMER!: PROCEED WITH CAUTION! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO DEVICES! ALWAYS VERIFY THAT MD5SUM VALUES MATCH PRIOR TO OPENING A DOWNLOADED FILE!!! YOU SHOULD NEVER USE/OPEN A DOWNLOADED FILE IF THE MD5SUMS DO NOT MATCH!!! USE/OPENING OF A CORRUPT FILE CAN LEAD TO DEVICE MALFUNCTIONS AND/OR FAILURES!!!

How to verify an MD5sum!

These steps are for Windows-based systems. HashTab is available for Mac OS.

There are a number of freeware programs available over the internet. Simply entering "Free MD5sum checker" on Google provides a number of results.

Step 1: Download an MD5sum checker

I recommend:

Left-click name for download link

HashTab (Proceed to "HashTab Step 2")
or
MD5 Checker (Proceed to "MD5 Checker Step 2")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HashTab Step 2: Run HashTab Installer

Upon download completion of HashTab, you will be asked to run the HashTab Installer. Left-click on "Run"

HashTab Step 3: Doing an MD5sum Check

Upon installation completion, you can begin checking MD5sums of downloaded files.

1. Download a file. Note the download location of the file. (Note: Most XDA developers provide the MD5sum with the download link).

2. Navigate to the file's location.

3. Right-click the file. Left-click on "Properties".

4. You will notice the Properties window now has a new tab at the top labeled "File Hashes". Left-click "File Hashes".

The hash values will be computed. The user can compare the MD5sum value with the developer provided value. If the MD5sum values match, the file is safe. If MD5sum discrepancies are found, the file is to be considered corrupt and should be removed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MD5 Checker Step 2: Unzip the "MD5" folder

Upon download completion of MD5 Checker, navigate to the location of the "MD5" zip folder. Right-click the "MD5" zip folder. Left-click on "Extract All". Note the location of the extracted files. Optional: Open the unzipped MD5 file and simply click-n-drag the MD5 application file to your Desktop for easier access.

MD5 Checker Step 3: Doing an MD5sum Check

1. Download a file. Note the download location of the file (Note: Most XDA developers provide the MD5sum with the download link). Highlight and copy [Ctrl + C] the developer provided MD5sum value.

2. Double-click the "MD5" application file. You will be asked if you trust the unverified publisher. Left-click "Run". A new window with two open fields will display.

3. The first field is where you input the developer provided MD5sum value. Left-click "Paste". The MD5sum value you copied should display.

4. The second field is where you input the location of the downloaded file. Left-click "Browse". Navigate to the download location of the file and double-click it.

The MD5 application will compute the MD5sum value of the downloaded file. This value will be compared to the MD5sum value the developer provided. If the values match, the file is safe. If MD5sum discrepancies are found, the file is to be considered corrupt and should be removed.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO THE DEVELOPERS OF THESE MD5SUM CHECKING APPLICATIONS. THANKS FOR KEEPING OUR DEVICES SAFE.

If you have any additional tips or suggestions on MD5sum Verification please feel free to share them with the rest of the XDA community.
Last edited by xCALLmeKING; 21st June 2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: editing typos
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xCALLmeKING For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2010, 11:31 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag WA

142 posts
More
Saving for future updates!
20th June 2010, 11:34 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 67

1,929 posts
bookmarked!!!

21st June 2010, 12:21 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 8

339 posts
More
nice, ive been using md5 checking in my downloads for ages, nice write up for nubs, we all start somewhere
21st June 2010, 05:40 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 46

132 posts
I really like hash tab for MD5 checking. Thanks for the write up.
21st June 2010, 09:29 AM   |  #6  
Senior Moderator
Flag Guyancourt/Clermont-Ferrand, France
Thanks Meter: 800

3,002 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thread moved in Android general section
22nd June 2010, 04:15 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

178 posts
This should be required for any attached apps on xda, for posters/devs to add the md5 along with the app
22nd June 2010, 06:08 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag WA

142 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaugustine

This should be required for any attached apps on xda, for posters/devs to add the md5 along with the app

I agree. I am hoping that by providing this MD5sum guide to the community, members and developers will have a greater interest in file integrity. I don't think that it is asking too much to have developers provide MD5sum values. This would make the XDA experience safer and more enjoyable for everyone.

I can verify that MD5sum checking has saved me a couple times from a corrupt download. I feel the need for file integrity checks is necessary. Better safe than sorry.

If everyone did their part in asking for MD5sum values for all file downloads, this would become a popular and safe trend.
22nd June 2010, 12:17 PM   |  #9  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakEZ

I agree. I am hoping that by providing this MD5sum guide to the community, members and developers will have a greater interest in file integrity. I don't think that it is asking too much to have developers provide MD5sum values. This would make the XDA experience safer and more enjoyable for everyone.

I can verify that MD5sum checking has saved me a couple times from a corrupt download. I feel the need for file integrity checks is necessary. Better safe than sorry.

If everyone did their part in asking for MD5sum values for all file downloads, this would become a popular and safe trend.

Couldn't agree more! You can really save yourself a lot of troubleshooting by simply checking the MD5Sum first of all.

If you want something "smallish" to use instead, feel free to use the attached little tool (req .NET framework 2.0 in Win), just drag and drop the file(s) on the executable and it'll spit out the MD5sum(s). Most Unix/Linux-flavors should have a tool called md5sum (just type "md5sum [file]" in the shell), and BSD-like systems should have a similar tool simply called "md5" (this including OSX).

I attached the source as well, nothing complicated, just a 5min-job. The .cs-files should compile fine using Mono in most Mono-supported OS's (including Linux and OSX). I don't have access to my Linux- nor my OSX-machines right now, so can't confirm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MiniHasher_1.0.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (46.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: zip MiniHasher_1.0.0_src.zip - [Click for QR Code] (46.5 KB, 19 views)
22nd June 2010, 08:16 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
I am a noob to md5sum, could you tell me where/how exactly you get the downloaded file's md5? Thanks for the info.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread