Installing 3rd Party Apps

OP KB Smoka

21st June 2010, 02:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Norwalk, CT
Thanks Meter: 7

253 posts
Here is how to install 3rd party applications. I'm not going to go into detail for every step so a little more research may be required if you don't understand all the terms. Search around, it's how I learned.

1. Download and extract the Android SDK. Once it is extracted copy it to the root of your C drive and to make your life easier rename it to sdk. So in the end it should be C:\sdk.

2. Download and install HTC Sync.

3. After the install of HTC Sync is complete connect your phone to the computer and select the HTC Sync option for the connection type on your phone. It doesn't matter if it fails to connect or gives you any error. When I did it the phone told me it couldn't find HTC Sync on my PC but I just hit OK and moved on.

5. Copy whatever 3rd party apps you are looking to install to the tools folder. (C:\sdk\tools). DO NOT rename the files, I had problems after doing that.

6. Open up a command prompt on your PC (In windows it's start, run, cmd) and change to the tools directory.

cd\
cd sdk\tools

After you change to that directory the prompt should say: c:\sdk\tools.

7. Type adb devices to verify that your computer can see the phone. If everything is working you should get a response that looks something like this:

List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxx device

8. Once you verify that the computer and phone are connected type the following:

adb install nameofapp.apk (obviously changing the nameofapp part to whatever the file is named).

You should see it copy the app then install and at the end it will say successful. All done!

Feel free to add to this if I missed anything....

KB
Last edited by KB Smoka; 8th November 2010 at 11:07 PM.
21st June 2010, 05:14 AM   |  #2  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 8

110 posts
More
Thanks KB for the update, an easy workaround that I don't mind performing at all. Now if only we can remove those pesky AT&T bloatware they slapped on it, and get a nice Root going, we'll be in business!
21st June 2010, 05:21 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Heck, I'd be willing to buy an extra Aria for someone around here if they could get a quick root/2.2 update going for this thing.
howl87
21st June 2010, 06:42 AM   |  #4  

n/a posts
trying to install swype on my aria. please help
hello, please help with step 6. i dont know what i need to do. can some one please reply really quick. all i need is to do is install swype. how do i find swype anyways
21st June 2010, 07:07 AM   |  #5  
Flag Columbus

110 posts
More
Quote:

hello, please help with step 6. i dont know what i need to do. can some one please reply really quick. all i need is to do is install swype. how do i find swype anyways

Step 6 may seem a little unwieldy, but here is a trick I learned.

1) Create a shortcut for CMD.exe on your desktop.

2) Right click the CMD.exe shortcut and go to Properties.

3) In the Start in: bar, type in the directory for the android SDK tools folder you put on your computer. For example, my start in address is:

Code:
"I:\HTC Hero\android-sdk-windows\tools"
Now everytime you open this CMD.exe shortcut, it will start in the correct folder to perform adb commands.

As far as Swype goes, you can get an e-mail for the installer through here.

I did run into a problem, since Swype will not install correctly because it needs to download and apply another .apk, which AT&T's blocks will not allow. Swype really isn't important enough to me to get it otherwise, as I'm happy installing the other apps I've been missing out on.

Hope that helps!
21st June 2010, 07:29 AM   |  #6  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 6

181 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Smoka

Here is how to install 3rd party applications. I'm not going to go into detail for every step so a little more research may be required if you don't understand all the terms. Search around, it's how I learned.

1. Download and extract the Android SDK. Once it is extracted copy it to the root of your C drive and to make your life easier rename it to sdk. So in the end it should be C:\sdk.

2. Download and install HTC Sync.

3. After the install of HTC Sync is complete connect your phone to the computer and select the HTC Sync option for the connection type on your phone. It doesn't matter if it fails to connect or gives you any error. When I did it the phone told me it couldn't find HTC Sync on my PC but I just hit OK and moved on.

5. Copy whatever 3rd party apps you are looking to install to the tools folder. (C:\sdk\tools). DO NOT rename the files, I had problems after doing that.

6. Open up a command prompt on your PC (In windows it's start, run, cmd) and change to the tools directory.

cd\
cd sdk
cd tools

After you change to that directory the prompt should say: c:\sdk\tools.

7. Type adb devices to verify that your computer can see the phone. If everything is working you should get a response that looks something like this:

List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxx device

8. Once you verify that the computer and phone are connected type the following:

adb install nameofapp.apk (obviously changing the nameofapp part to whatever the file is named).

You should see it copy the app then install and at the end it will say successful. All done!

Feel free to add to this if I missed anything....

KB

I'm sorry I can't be more technical, but I use an easier way to install 3rd party apps, even multiple installs at once. Everything above is the same except AFTER step 3.. go to http://de.codeplex.com/ and download droidexplorer, once you have it, connect your phone to the pc, execute droidexplorer (droid explorer can take up to 2 mins (or maybe longer) to load so be patient), select drop down menu tools either addons (-batch install) to install multiple apps.. or Manage Packages to install single app. There are lots of other functions using droidexplorer but I think most of them need the device to be root.

(it's been a while since I first installed droidexplorer, so I'm not 100% certain if I even needed the android sdk, but HTC SYNC is definitely needed, if someone wants to give it a shot without installing android sdk to verify, that would be great, let me know and I'll fix up this post.)

THIS HAS BEEN VERIFIED TO WORK ON THE STOCK ATT ARIA by myself, as I just purchased the aria on sunday and already installed over 30 apps.

hope this helps someone.. post any replies if you need help, I'll try to help in any way I can.
Last edited by ko0ky; 21st June 2010 at 08:01 AM.
21st June 2010, 03:32 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

66 posts
thanks for the instructions KB. Getting my aria soon and can't wait to ditch the iPhone
21st June 2010, 05:22 PM   |  #8  

87 posts
More
Anyone know if/how you can delete the built in AT&T apps?
21st June 2010, 06:35 PM   |  #9  

135 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hocplyr98

Anyone know if/how you can delete the built in AT&T apps?

I'd suspect you would need root access and then you could simply use shell rm /system/app/attbull****.apk
21st June 2010, 07:08 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Norwalk, CT
Thanks Meter: 7

253 posts
Yup....Same thing I did with my Incredible..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread