Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 42,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Enabling Wireless N on Evo- Android Eclair 2.1

Tip us?

chuckhriczko
Old
(Last edited by toastcfh; 17th August 2010 at 05:49 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Default [HOW-TO] Enabling Wireless N on Evo- Android Eclair 2.1

THIS IS FOR ECLAIR 2.1 DO NOT USE THIS IN A FROYO 2.2 ROM. SINCE THE 2.2 UPDATE WIRELESS N IS SUPPORTED OUT THE BOX. NO NEED FOR THIS HACK IN FROYO 2.2

edited by toastcfh to avoid mishaps

Update: Thanks to Calkulin there are now flashable zips on my blog post as well as just the driver. Just flash them like any other update.zip file.

So the Evo's WiFi chip supports Wireless N technology, which allows for faster throughput on your WiFi connection. To use this you obviously need a Wireless N capable AP or router. Basically, for some reason (I am going to assume battery life?), HTC decided to disable the wireless n capability of this chip but this can be fixed. Since we don't have the source for the driver we need to use a hex editor. Note, if using AOSP wireless n will already be enabled using the AOSP driver. But if you are using a Sense rom then you will need to do the following. Also I am including a download link with the driver that you can just push if you don't want to get dirty with a hex editor. Anyway, here we go:

1. Download a hex editor (I just googled hex editor and downloaded this one: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...vi32/xvi32.htm)
2. Go into a command prompt or shell and perform:
Code:
Select Code
adb pull /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko ./bcm4329.ko.old
adb pull /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko ./bcm4329.ko
This will pull the file and make a backup in case you need to replace the backup.
3. In your hex editor open the file you just pulled. Now, in two spots HTC added 'nmode' in here to disable Wireless N. All we have to do is modify this string to be any other 5 character string and wireless N will be enabled. I did a search and replace and replaced 'nmode' with '-----' (Note: Do not include the single quotes).
4. Save the file.
5. Perform the following in a command prompt or shell:
Code:
Select Code
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
Now wireless N should be enabled on your device. If not, restart it and try. If you ever want to restore your original just perform the following:
Code:
Select Code
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push bcm4329.ko.old /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko

Below is the download link for the already modified wireless driver.
http://objectunoriented.com/android/?p=35

slowpain
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I downloaded the file and pushed it to my phone. I restarted the phone and once it came back up it connected on 802.11n. So far been working perfectly.

liquidhaste
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Sounds good, will try when I get home. But I have to say I was expecting this after I heard that the incredible is getting a patch to enable wireless n.
Motorola Razr--> Samsung Instinct--> HTC Mogul--> HTC Hero--> Samsung Moment--> HTC Evo 4G--> Samsung Nexus S 4G--> Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch--> Evo 4G LTE--> HTC Droid DNA --> Samsung Galaxy Note 3--> LG G2

joeykrim
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1261
wow. clever little patch. im excited to try this! hopefully will at least allow better throughput if not also better signal with wireless n! thanks!!

on a technical side note, any reason why your /system is mtdblock3 while mine is mtdblock4?

dadoc04
Old
Thanks Meter 558

DONATE TO ME
cant wait to try this.... thanks

myth_mn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
good stuff! gonna try this.

chuckhriczko
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykrim View Post
wow. clever little patch. im excited to try this! hopefully will at least allow better throughput if not also better signal with wireless n! thanks!!

on a technical side note, any reason why your /system is mtdblock3 while mine is mtdblock4?
That's just the command I used when I mounted the system directory as writeable when I had my Hero. Should it be 4 instead of 3?

chuckhriczko
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidhaste View Post
Sounds good, will try when I get home. But I have to say I was expecting this after I heard that the incredible is getting a patch to enable wireless n.
I have actually had this working for maybe a week now in my latest Superersonic rom but since I haven't had time to fix the root problem with that rom I just decided to post this seperately.

poporo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
most of the power issues/concerns with wireless-n are targetted at the AP/Router i think... wondering if anyone has been seeing a drop in battery power though.

chuckhriczko
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by poporo View Post
most of the power issues/concerns with wireless-n are targetted at the AP/Router i think... wondering if anyone has been seeing a drop in battery power though.
That was just an assumption. I had nothing to back that up lol

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe