Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,628 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flexi/Candy/TPU skin impressions

Tip us?

catpunt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Flexi/Candy/TPU skin impressions

I just received this skin for my Evo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400129173520

1. Way thinner than the HTC silicon rubber case
2. Somewhere between hard plastic and soft silicone. Think vinyl but stiffer.
3. Definitely not as shock absorbent
4. The skin extends up past the face of the phone about 1.5mm, so if you set the phone face down it won't touch the surface
5. It does not wrap around the face of the phone at all, which I like -- it gives you touch access to the entire touch screen surface, as opposed to the HTC silicone rubber skin. It's much easier to reach the edges of the touch screen, like using the phone naked
6. The top of the camera lens protrudes slightly from the back of the case. However, due to the curvature of the phone, when resting back-down on a table, the lens doesn't actually contact the surface by a small gap, .5mm at best
7. The argyle pattern on the back is very subtle
8. All the cutouts line up properly. The cutouts are rather large however; for example, the diameter of the cutout for the speaker hole is probably 5mm which is a bit excessive.
9. The skin is not tacky at all, it slips in and out of the pocket with ease and doesn't attract lint. However it's more slick and less grippy, so it won't stay put on your dashboard for example.
10. It's snug but not super snug, like it's not skintight.
11. For some reason there is a cutout for the backplate nail groove

ProAm500
Old
Thanks Meter 5
is there a non-argyle version?

frettfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Looks like a white-label Amzer case:

http://www.amzer.com/Amzer-Luxe-Argy...rey-P88260.htm

How does the product you have compare to the looks of that one?? Pretty much the same? I have been debating over one of these cases for a while now. Tried a lot of them out so far and havent found "the one"

i just dont want something that adds too much bulk! lol if i wasnt affraid of destroying the phone i would just let it go naked, but thats just too risky.
If i helped you please hit the thanks button

Model: T-mobile LG G3
ROM:
Kernel:

catpunt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by frettfreak View Post
How does the product you have compare to the looks of that one?? Pretty much the same?
Well it doesn't say amzer anywhere on it or the packaging, and the amzer picture is a little different. There is one big cutout for the flash leds, camera, and speaker on the back. However the amzer picture might just be a photoshop mockup, and perhaps they are in fact the same.

If you want some protection without bulk and inconvenience, I recommend this case. It isn't quite as protective as the thicker silicon cases in terms of shock absorption, but it will protect against scratches and abrasions without sticking to your pocket or attracting lint.

I wasn't able to find one without the argyle print, but like I said, it's pretty subtle. If you wait, you can get one of the case-mate ones which I'm sure are higher quality.

catpunt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
just noticed the epik cases are out on ebay, only like 3.49 with free shipping! looks like it has individual cutouts for the led flash, camera, and speakerphone. i had to get one at that price, smoky black no pattern:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300440215923

catpunt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Just received my Epik case --

Now I have 3 different cases:
1. Sprint retail OEM silicone skin
2. Smoke argyle pattern TPU skin
3. (new) Black Epik TPU skin

Here are my impressions of the Epik TPU:
* The skin is thicker, softer, and tackier than the argyle skin, but less thick, soft and tacky than the silicone skin. I'd say it's right in the middle on all 3 accounts.
* The thickness fully recesses the camera lens
* Easy to get in/out of the pocket, doesn't attract dust/lint
* The color is not really black but more of a dark smoke color
* There are 3 individual cutouts for the components on the back
* There is no silly cutout for the battery cover nail groove
* The skin extends in over the bezel further than the argyle TPU, covering the screen seams
* The mic cutout is smaller than the argyle's
* The power and volume buttons stand out further than the argyle's, making them easier to find by touch

I definitely prefer this skin to the others. IMO, it provides the best tradeoff in terms of protection, looks and bulk.

MsRandall
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by catpunt View Post

* The skin is thicker, softer, and tackier than the argyle skin, but less thick, soft and tacky than the silicone skin. I'd say it's right in the middle on all 3 accounts.
* The skin extends in over the bezel further than the argyle TPU, covering the screen seams
* The power and volume buttons stand out further than the argyle's, making them easier to find by touch

I definitely prefer this skin to the others. IMO, it provides the best tradeoff in terms of protection, looks and bulk.
Bought the argyle verison skin on ebay...then the non patterned ones. Been an epik case lover for ages...Well I tell you the ebay non patterned skins and the epik cases come in the same packaging. Note the original epik cases didnt come in retail packaging. When I emailed the seller he confirmed that they could sold by other ebay sellers too....hmmmm

AcIdC0R3
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by frettfreak View Post
Looks like a white-label Amzer case:

http://www.amzer.com/Amzer-Luxe-Argy...rey-P88260.htm

How does the product you have compare to the looks of that one?? Pretty much the same? I have been debating over one of these cases for a while now. Tried a lot of them out so far and havent found "the one"

i just dont want something that adds too much bulk! lol if i wasnt affraid of destroying the phone i would just let it go naked, but thats just too risky.
I feel the same about the bulk. I like what people have been doing for the iPhone and skinning it which leaves it thin and adds a small layer of protection to it. I think the EVO could benefit from the same. (just my personal thoughts on the matter).
- Δc|Dc0ЯΞ

Please click my Thanks button...thanks!

stroths
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:

I just got that same Argyle case in the mail today and have the Epik one on order as well. The Argyle looks pretty nice, but the lip that extends past the screen is bugging me some. I guess I will get use to it. Does the Epik have the same lip or is it more flattened out?
Treo 600-> Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Treo 700wx-> Mogul-> Touch Pro-> Touch Pro 2-> Evo 4G-> Evo 3D-> Galaxy S2-> Galaxy Nexus

mrfuzzie23
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:

pretty interested in this case, any chance you could post any pics of it since they dont have any in the ebay listing?