Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,606 Members 47,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

htc confirms froyo for legend in 2 weeks

Tip us?

kylecore
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Default htc confirms froyo for legend in 2 weeks

I just read this over on phandroid here's a link just take out the space after the .

phandroid. com/2010/06/22/htc-delivering-froyo-to-the-htc-desire-and-legend-within-the-next-two-weeks/

b0unceee
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Already got froyo on my n1 and it's sweet. I wonder how much of a speed boost the legend will gain?

evank418
Old
Thanks Meter 4
let's just hope you are right about this i'm dying to see froyo on my legend and starting to regret for picking legend over desire

gubble5
Old
(Last edited by gubble5; 23rd June 2010 at 01:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by evank418 View Post
let's just hope you are right about this i'm dying to see froyo on my legend and starting to regret for picking legend over desire
same here.. but still looks cooler than Desire
except the "antenna" at the bottom, it's quite loose, the only thing that I don't like hardware-wise

hope that Froyo will improve it software-wise

gubble5
Old
Thanks Meter 0
by the way, just checked the original source (a german site) and they have update from today - we are not getting Froyo in two weeks.. everything is indefinite....

c1nu5
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Here is the original source.

Translated by google:
Quote:
HTC has denied through his PR agency, that there will be two weeks in an operating system update for the Desire and the Legend. The statement was based on a misunderstanding. It is certain that the HTC Hero will receive in the next two weeks, his update to Android 2.1. In the update for the HTC Desire remains vague and will deliver an update to the third quarter. Whether and when to upgrade to the Legend Android 2.2 get, you do not know yet.

schpinn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1nu5 View Post
Here is the original source.

Translated by google:
To me this more and more sounds like the Legend is definitely not getting FroYo. They would confirm it by now otherwise (like they did for the Desire).

mercuryzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpinn View Post
To me this more and more sounds like the Legend is definitely not getting FroYo. They would confirm it by now otherwise (like they did for the Desire).
what? you're totally wrong, htc and desire will have froyo in the same time as they had the other updates together in the past.

owenw
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryzzz View Post
what? you're totally wrong, htc and desire will have froyo in the same time as they had the other updates together in the past.
Uh, the article actually directly says this won't happen. Google translate failed.

kylecore
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Well I've heard multiple times before this that customer service reps from htc have also confirmed the update to froyo for the legend. The most recent being an email from a customer service rep stating that the user fear not about his flash playing troubles because android 2.2 and incidentally flash 10.1 would be released for the htc legend within the next 2 weeks.

Follow this up by the recent release of flash 10.1 for android 2.2 and the release of the android 2.2 source code being released today the statement of "within the next 2 weeks" seem to be exactly what is happening. Not only is android 2.2 pretty much here but will be available sooner rather then later. To add further flame to the fire htc repeatedly said android 2.2 will be supported by almost all 2010 devices and with the desire being more widely available and more powerful it is more likely to be put in with definite android 2.2 compatible even though the desire and legend get almost always get updates at the same time.

The most likely reason the statement was pulled? Well it must simply be due to google not publishing the source code yet, thus letting people essentially know froyo is ready.
Htc most certainly can't pull the plug on 2.2 before google itself does. But! Now that it has published final froyo source code it is 99.9% done and is most likely waiting to be uploaded to the server.

My uneducated guess is that we'll see froyo on the legend by mid july at the latest.

Also not sure if anyone thought of this, but bell (and indirectly virgin mobile canada) are not stupid companies. They are introducing a new android phone and thus throwing massive amounts of ad $ and marketing into it, from both bell/virgin AND htc itself. Remember this is virgins FIRST android set and bells 4th or 5th, they would most likely have talked to htc to make sure the device is upgradeable to the newest android. They just started selling it, they aren't going to allow it to be out dated within the month its released! If the did it would be a waste on advertising and a waste of introducing a new phone.
That's just my 2 cents, but it seems very logical to me, how about you?