now that we have an easy way to push update.zip files I was wondering if there was any way to push the host file that adfree android downloads to the sdcard. I know that it doesn't have write access to the system partition when booted but in recovery we do right?
So it should be as simple as creating an update.zip that overwrites the old host right?
I'm going to try to get this working
EDIT: Here's how to get this working
1. Search for Adfree Android on the market
2. Install and run
3. allow it to download and install new hosts file, it will copy it to your sdcard and try to replace /system/etc/hosts but fail (it should reboot the phone shortly)
4. Power off the phone and hold Volume Down and power.
5. Use volume down to select recovery
6. In clockwork recovery volume down to "partitions menu" and hit the track pad to select
7. Select "mount /system" and "mount /sdcard" "mount /data"
8. Plug in your usb cord and open a command line on your pc
9. enter adb shell and type the following commands
cp /sdcard/hosts /data/data/hosts
ln -s /data/data/hosts /system/etc/hosts
10. Reboot your phone and enjoy adfree android.
Thanks to all for help in getting this running.