FaceTime on Android?

OP RanEnRui

24th June 2010, 11:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
More
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. As you guys can imagine, FaceTime is going to be the new craze among iPhone 4 users. As much as I hate to say it, Apple will be the ones to make voice calling finally take off.

Qik is meh, and Skype video chat is still up in the air (no pun intended).

So that begs the question, would it be possible to make a device such as the Evo emulate FaceTime (with an iPhone 4 caller). Considering it's over WiFi, I don't see how it couldn't be possible.

They claim FaceTime is supposed to be an "open" standard, though I am a bit dubious to this considering H.264/AAC is involved.

Anyhow, all licensing and networking aside, I think we can agree that it is somewhat remotely possible and also really neat of an idea.

I know it's a bit early, but are there any teams talking about/working on this? I'm a developer (and learning the Android ropes at the moment) and would love to help contribute to something like this.

Comments, thoughts, and suggestions all welcome!
24th June 2010, 11:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 4

167 posts
More
Yup, we'll see it eventually. As you said, FaceTime is an open standard and will probably be adopted on many different platforms. H.264 and AAC encoding's wont cause a problem, and will actually be beneficial due to it's compression versus quality ratio. Couple that together with the fact that the Evo already supports them out of the box, it's a no-brainer!
24th June 2010, 11:48 PM   |  #3  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 1

282 posts
More
Eventually most likely all devices will connect somehow. This is a question though and would be more fit for the Q&A forum
24th June 2010, 11:56 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 37

247 posts
The cool thing will be that we will likely be able to connect to FaceTime via 3G/4G and they will need Wifi because of Apple/ATT's control.
26th June 2010, 09:28 PM   |  #5  

35 posts
I would love to help out with this in any way I can, I can't do code but if you need graphics for the project, just pm me.
27th June 2010, 12:35 AM   |  #6  
Bay Area, CA

141 posts
More
take it for what its worth, but Engadget did a test of facetime with mifi devices and the results were piss poor... we're probably better off using qik or some system that is designed for mobile networks.

R
27th June 2010, 09:10 PM   |  #7  

81 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTessi

take it for what its worth, but Engadget did a test of facetime with mifi devices and the results were piss poor... we're probably better off using qik or some system that is designed for mobile networks.

R

Guess that explains why it's WiFi-only. Typical Crapple.
28th June 2010, 04:43 AM   |  #8  
Flag Reno
Thanks Meter: 430

2,575 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm85

Guess that explains why it's WiFi-only. Typical Crapple.

id factor it up more towards at&t not wanting the iphone users (apparently bandwidth hogs) taking up anymore of their resources.
28th June 2010, 06:37 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

137 posts
this isdump. we have fring and qik which already work over 3g and 4g were facetime is only working over wifi....and its not even performing well with that....so what im trying to understand is...what is it that you are you expecting?
28th June 2010, 04:33 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 619

1,562 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermayhm069

this isdump. we have fring and qik which already work over 3g and 4g were facetime is only working over wifi....and its not even performing well with that....so what im trying to understand is...what is it that you are you expecting?

I agree with you.

I don't think we need someone on Android to implement FaceTime... I'd rather have Fring, Qik or Skype put 2-way chat on the iPhone 4. It's not like I'm going to be in a call with someone and be like, oh, lets switch over to video so we can see each other. I'm fine with using a dedicated client and I think most iPhone users would be too.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread