Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,119 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

FaceTime on Android?

Tip us?

RanEnRui
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default FaceTime on Android?

Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. As you guys can imagine, FaceTime is going to be the new craze among iPhone 4 users. As much as I hate to say it, Apple will be the ones to make voice calling finally take off.

Qik is meh, and Skype video chat is still up in the air (no pun intended).

So that begs the question, would it be possible to make a device such as the Evo emulate FaceTime (with an iPhone 4 caller). Considering it's over WiFi, I don't see how it couldn't be possible.

They claim FaceTime is supposed to be an "open" standard, though I am a bit dubious to this considering H.264/AAC is involved.

Anyhow, all licensing and networking aside, I think we can agree that it is somewhat remotely possible and also really neat of an idea.

I know it's a bit early, but are there any teams talking about/working on this? I'm a developer (and learning the Android ropes at the moment) and would love to help contribute to something like this.

Comments, thoughts, and suggestions all welcome!

CentroniX
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Yup, we'll see it eventually. As you said, FaceTime is an open standard and will probably be adopted on many different platforms. H.264 and AAC encoding's wont cause a problem, and will actually be beneficial due to it's compression versus quality ratio. Couple that together with the fact that the Evo already supports them out of the box, it's a no-brainer!

Mast3rpyr0
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Eventually most likely all devices will connect somehow. This is a question though and would be more fit for the Q&A forum
Sprint HTC Evo 4G - Rooted Stock ROM
Pre-Ordered HTC Dream (G1) - Rooted Cyanogen Mod 6

coolguy949
Old
Thanks Meter 30
The cool thing will be that we will likely be able to connect to FaceTime via 3G/4G and they will need Wifi because of Apple/ATT's control.

mintishhippo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I would love to help out with this in any way I can, I can't do code but if you need graphics for the project, just pm me.

RTessi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
take it for what its worth, but Engadget did a test of facetime with mifi devices and the results were piss poor... we're probably better off using qik or some system that is designed for mobile networks.

R
A Perfect Storm-ed Thunderbolt
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Google i/O Limited Edition

gbm85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTessi View Post
take it for what its worth, but Engadget did a test of facetime with mifi devices and the results were piss poor... we're probably better off using qik or some system that is designed for mobile networks.

R
Guess that explains why it's WiFi-only. Typical Crapple.

notown775
Old
Thanks Meter 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
Guess that explains why it's WiFi-only. Typical Crapple.
id factor it up more towards at&t not wanting the iphone users (apparently bandwidth hogs) taking up anymore of their resources.
AT&T:wsgs3,gNote,HOX,wGnex,bell sensation, wGSMrazr,intl Hox,wSgS3,titan2, nokialumia900, n7100

T-MOBILE: OneS,Intl gNexus,gNOTE,SGSii,MTS4g,sensation 4g,HTC G2,Svibrant

SPRINT: optimusS,EVO3d,EVO4g,Hero,TouchPro,s-Instinct,MotoQ9c,MotoQ,katana

cKricket: Keyocera Slider

mastermayhm
Old
Thanks Meter 2
this isdump. we have fring and qik which already work over 3g and 4g were facetime is only working over wifi....and its not even performing well with that....so what im trying to understand is...what is it that you are you expecting?

ViViDboarder
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 617

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermayhm069 View Post
this isdump. we have fring and qik which already work over 3g and 4g were facetime is only working over wifi....and its not even performing well with that....so what im trying to understand is...what is it that you are you expecting?
I agree with you.

I don't think we need someone on Android to implement FaceTime... I'd rather have Fring, Qik or Skype put 2-way chat on the iPhone 4. It's not like I'm going to be in a call with someone and be like, oh, lets switch over to video so we can see each other. I'm fine with using a dedicated client and I think most iPhone users would be too.