For your amazing works leading up to this guide
- Donate if I've helped save your HTC warranty.
- This will work! If you can't figure something out, don't get discouraged. Ask here for help.
- After this process, you can flash whatever ROM you like in recovery. I just have the steps showing for CyanMod so you know you have a good, clean system to start off with.
[T-Mo & ATT] Prerequisites:
- Locked Nexus One flashed with FRF85B
(Stuck on FRF91? Use THIS to downgrade to EPE76. Then update back up to FRF85B.)
- Lastet SDK (Click)
- Working ADB (Info)
- The attached .zip "ROOT_FRF83.zip" (Attachment at bottom)
- Got Mac/Linux? (Click Thanks madj42)
1) Extract the files within "ROOT_FRF83.zip" into the "tools" directory of the extracted SDK package
2) Open a command prompt or terminal and change to the "tools" directory of the extracted SDK package
- Example: Type "cd C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools" and hit Enter
3) Type "loop" and hit Enter
4) With phone attached through microUSB, enter Recovery with the battery cover OFF and the SDcard REMOVED.
- Tip: Be careful not to let the battery fall out during this process
- Tip: To enter recovery, boot while holding Volume down button. Then select the recovery option.
5) When you see the HTC devices attached in recovery mode, hit Ctrl+C, then "y", then Enter
6) Slide in SDcard (Make sure there is no update.zip on it at this point)
- Tip: It should slide in and click VERY easily if you trim the tab on the battery properly. A sharp razor blaze works well.
- Tip: I recommend this instead of other methods (paper slip) because it will work without error
- Tip: You only need to cut as far as the SDcard slot goes, you do not need to trim the entire tab
7) On your phone, press Power + Volume Up AFTER inserting SDcard
8) Choose "apply sdcard:update.zip"
- Tip: It will fail, but that is expected because there is no update.zip
- Tip: This is done to mount the SDcard after achieving adb while the SDcard was out
9) In your terminal type "adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image" and hit Enter
10) In your terminal type "adb push ota.zip /sdcard/update.zip" and hit Enter
11) In your terminal, type "adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip" and DO NOT yet hit Enter
12)Ready your finger near the Enter key of your keyboard so that you can quickly hit it once you complete the next step
13) Choose "apply sdcard:update.zip"
14) As soon as you see the yellow installation progress bar, hit Enter on your keyboard
- Tip: If completed properly, you should see a message about rooting adb
15) Choose "Reboot into system"
You now have root access(aka Admin rights) in your stock ROM, but with limited capabilities.
If you want to do any of the following, please continue:
- Flash a custom recovery
- Perform Nandroid backup
- Flash a Rooted Stock Froyo ROM with full capabilities
- Flash CyanogenMod
16) Download the following to the root of your SDcard
- recovery-RA-nexus-v18.104.22.168.img: http://rapidshare.com/files/39326736...s-v22.214.171.124.img
- Note: UnMount your SDcard after copying these files, but keep your phone plugged in
17) In your terminal type "adb shell" and hit Enter
18) In your terminal type "su" and hit Enter
- Tip: At this point, it will hang until you choose "Allow" on your phone with the SuperUser app pop-up
- Tip: $ should now be replaced with #
19) In your terminal, type "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" and hit Enter
20) In your terminal, type "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image" and hit Enter
21) In your terminal, type "chmod 775 /system/bin/flash_image" and hit Enter
22) In your terminal, type "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-nexus-v126.96.36.199.img" and hit Enter
23) In your terminal, type "rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh" and hit Enter
24) In your terminal, type "rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p" and hit Enter
You can now boot into your new Recovery by turning off your phone and turning back on while holding Volume Down.
If you want the latest CyanogenMod, please continue.
25) Download the following to the root of your SDcard
- update-CM-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip: http://cyanogen-updater.googlecode.c...-N1-signed.zip
- gapps-passion-EPF30-signed.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjzwozjojkh
26) Nandroid backup
- Tip: In Recovery, choose "Backup/Restore" then "Nand backup"
- Tip: This will give you an exact copy of your system's current state which you can revert back to at any time
27) Wipe your phone
- Tip: In Recovery, Choose "Wipe" then "Wipe data/factory reset"
28) Apply zip "update-CM-5.0.8-N1-signed.zip"
- Tip: In Recovery, Choose "Flash zip from sdcard"
29) Apply zip "gapps-passion-EPF30-signed.zip"
30) Reboot into your newly rooted phone!