5,605,250 Members 38,554 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Due to get Desire on Three network - ireland, options to upgrade/de-brand

Tip us?

ted crilly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Due to get Desire on Three network - ireland, options to upgrade/de-brand

Hi

To sum it up should I buy sim free (expensive) or go with Desire on the Three network?

I am due to get a Desire handset on the Three network in Ireland through a work contract.

As I understand it the rollout is currently delayed due to issues loading the Three applications, branding and customisations on to the devices in Ireland..

I am assuming if this is the case, that the handset will then be both locked and branded, also whenever Froyo comes to device via HTC i will not be able to upgrade due to the Three branding and apps.

So to get froyo (whenever) i assume I will have to unlock and debrand, and get the stock HTC rom - is this all possible? anybody been through this?

Otherwise I am seriously considering just purchasing SIM free althought that will be at least double the price.

Just looking for advice on my best option?

Cheers for any experience, advice (maybe from three UK customers)

TC

AndroHero
Old
Thanks Meter 890
hi, if you intend to use the device on the 3 network there is no need to unlock it, debranding your phone is also easy, look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696189 this will tell you how to make a goldcard, once you have a goldcard you can easly flash any generic desire rom
------------------------------------------------------------
My Device
HTC Sensation XL
Rom Version - 3 Musketeers Insanely Cool Sense v2.2.1
Baseband - 10.10.12_M
Kernel - 2.6.35.13