Galaxy S getting hot at times? Or is it just mine?

Search This thread

neoraiden

Aug 6, 2009
I've had my Galaxy S for a week and of all the reported problems the worst for me is the phone gets hot sometimes in use and while charging. I checked in the application system I downloaded from the android market and it showed temperatures up to 53 degrees celsius. This makes the phone impossible to hold to the ear for a phone call and even internet browsing difficult as it gets too hot to touch.

As a side note unless the carphonewarehouse offer you a 7/14 day return policy don't buy from them. I'm having problems now because of it.

I can't post links to the pictures I took showing this as my account is still new, but it's on picasa web album under galaxy s temperatures and I can send you the link in a message if you want.

Has anyone else experience this problem?

Last edited:

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
I did notice that the phone can get quite warm at times. But for me even after 1hour in the sun outside the phone wasn't uncomfortable to touch. Much less to hot to hold to the ear.

My phone is charging right now and temp is 44 degrees centigrade. But considering the room-temp is almost 35, its not that bad. I'd rather have my phone becoming a bit warm than it taking forever to charge.

Wazco

Dec 6, 2008
Ive only noticed this when gaming and charging from AC, its not that big a problem for me really, all smartphones suffer from this to some degree. My old Touch HD would get really hot if just wifi was active which is more annoying than this.

neoraiden

Aug 6, 2009
Well I have the desire as well and had many smart phones in the past that got warm but never as hot as the galaxy s, nor as frequently when used. It doesn't stay hot, but when it gets hot I can't put it to my ear to phone people. It happens mid call after I've use the phone for awhile.

Wazco

Dec 6, 2008
Well that doesnt sound right, mine doesnt get hot like that, so perhaps yours is faulty?

kenny326

Jan 17, 2009
I just got a new one (old one replaced) and I'm disappointed I'm suffering from this problem also. Mine also reaches up to 53 degrees.

snuk

Feb 8, 2008
Bucharest
have same problem but....

I downloaded a app "Advanced Task Killer" and killed all the apps that were working in background and i use from time to time, like YMessenger, Mail....
now the phone even if its charging the temp is between 35C and 40C. and maybe the battery will not discharge that fast :D

wheelboy

Aug 2, 2010
eindhoven
well it gets warm here 2 . but i had the same with my iphone 3g .i think its the working of the processor that makes it hot .its the same as with a pc when you run it to its high performance it gets hot 2

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
Well I have the desire as well and had many smart phones in the past that got warm but never as hot as the galaxy s, nor as frequently when used. It doesn't stay hot, but when it gets hot I can't put it to my ear to phone people. It happens mid call after I've use the phone for awhile.

that sounds like normal

my old HTC Athena, gets really hot after long sessions of WiFi, 3G, or GPS, and in the SGS i get similar temperature when using the same stuff.

no heat from Bluetooth, or at least it's not noticeable

but ALL cell phones gets hot after long voice conversations.

jamessimon

Aug 4, 2010
Victoria
From the troubleshootig section of the manual -
Your device is hot to the touch
When you use applications that require more power or use
applications on your device for an extended period of time,
your device may feel hot to the touch. This is normal and
should not affect your device's lifespan or performance.

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
It gets quite hot sometimes. Battery might rise from 33C in idle to around 45C on load.

I think it is the GPS chipset doing really weird calculations. That happened to me in the hardest math classes in college. Whenever I was totally lost and clueless about something during a calculus test I'd always get nervous and hot and sweaty.

Never killed me tho. I think the SGS will be fine even while hot.

solidkundi

Sep 27, 2008
I had the VIbrant for a week now.. i can't really say its gotten hot... maybe once.. but its not something severe, because i can't really remember how hot it was...

but from my research... iPhone4 is doing it, people complained they couldn't hold it close to their face while talking..... All the 1ghz SnapDragon's been doing it...there has been reports of the device too hot to even charge....even the underlcocked Acer Liquid E....

I've actually overused it the first few days...i can't really recall this happening to my phone...

Snuble

Aug 5, 2010
Charging with screen on made my SGS rather hot. So now I try to leave the screen off when charging. Come winter that might change, not always a disadvantage to have something hot in a cold car :)

Ancient_One

Jul 20, 2010
Sydney
Seems to get hot in a location around the SIM card area on the phone when charging from USB or AC.

Not worried about it though.

michaelnct

Jul 30, 2010
Today try out the Fancy Widget, but later uninstalled it, I already disabled auto refresh everything, but my SGS get overheated and battery down by 50% just in 5 hours.. ......Anyone know why?

tyj82

Jan 17, 2006
www.tyjtyj.com
charging time

How long does your phone takes to charge ?
Mine takes about 3-4 hour hours on pc usb and about 3 hours on power adapter come with the phone.

My HTC tytn2 with extended battery 2800 only takes 2.5 hours to charge over the pc usb charge.

Fatherboard

Nov 9, 2009
Mine's getting a little bit hot after trying some 3d games (asphalt i.e, i don't play too much) or clips (few minutes). it seems to have a particular "hot spot" at the portion of the sim card/sd card, the rest of the phone feels quite cool, and i can hold it without any hassle.

ivanchin99

Aug 13, 2010
Charging the phone at the moment. 42 celcius.

Are you using setcpu? 10 mins ago I was using setcpu and noticed my phone gotten hot suddenly - I didnt do any sort of ocing. Checked the temperature and was shocked to see 53c :eek: Uninstalled it and the temperatre returns to a more acceptable level :D