IMPORTANT: If you are having wi-fi issues in sleep even after using this app, please let me know the following
1. Device/Phone Name and Rom version
2. What is the app version that you have?
3. Did you try all the combinations of various workarounds in the advanced options?
4. Can you please enable logging in the advanced options and send me logcat dump for this duration
I did an app to change the wi-fi sleep policy quickly so that you can control whether wi-fi is disconnected or not whenever screen turns off. What's more is that I also did a widget for it, so you can just tap on it to cycle through the various sleep policies.
I hope this can help some people out who get frustrated when their download breaks off as the screen goes down or worse, it switches to slow and expensive mobile data connection which runs your account balance down in a jiffy before you realize it..
You can look for more details on this page (and also report any bugs or suggestions):
Android Wi-Fi Keep Alive
Just try out this app by searching for "wi-fi keep alive" in market or scanning this barcode:
Note: Many would wonder what would be the need of this app when we have a setting for this built-in in android. These are the reasons:
Yes, that is true but as I mentioned earlier in the thread. The reasons to do this app are:
1. Quick access. The setting for this is buried too deep and I wouldn't like to have this set to "never" (e.g.) all the time. I'd like to do it in a tap whenever I'm doing something that doesn't require me to look at the screen but wi-fi needs to be on. You can just tap on the widget and on you go. Otherwise you have most of the settings anyways in Android (for wi-fi/gps/sync/etc), why would you need widgets for them?
2. The android in-built settings don't work always. Although the app provides pretty much the same options to the user as the in-built setting provides but I'm trying to include work-arounds in the back end that would really make it work.
* Configurable pinging interval
* Suggestions welcome
1) Known issue with “on when plugged in” policy is that if you are already plugged in while changing anything in the app, workarounds don’t take place until you plug out and plug in again
2) This is not a known issue with the app but with wi-fi on some devices itself that it stops working on leaving it idle even if the phone is not sleeping. This is not the purview of this particular app and it might not solve it, although few folks say that this app helps in this scenario as well.
3) Some routers/settings are also known to cause issues with wi-fi in sleep. The correct pattern has not been identified yet but many people report that they can stay connected to wi-fi in sleep with some routers but with other routers, it fails. (Work Around 3 might help in such cases but not always)
4) While adding widget, the main app screen will pop-up for widget configuration. You need to choose any one policy (even if desired one already selected) otherwise widget will not be added
1) Please press Menu key in the app and select “Help” to see details about policy and workaround options.
2) Please report any bugs here along with the above mentioned details (labeled IMPORTANT so that i can fix the issues.
02-August-2010 -> 1.4.2
* Better looking & smaller icons (including widget). Thanks a lot to "rori~" for designing the icons Do checkout his other work in the forum. He has designed a lot of nice morphs/themes etc (Note: If the new icons don't appear on existing widget, please delete the widget and add it again)
* Space optimization so that the app takes lesser space on phone.
22-July-2010 -> 1.4.1
* Fixed a bug that can cause wi-fi to keep reconnecting in quick succession in certain situations.
22-July-2010 -> 1.4.0
* Added workaround 4 (Re-associate automatically with access point if all else fails. Needs workaround 3 to be enabled)
* Support for small screens (e.g. XPeria X10 mini)
* Widget/Icons size optimizations for older Android versions
* Resource optimizations for lesser space and faster loading
* Misc. under-the-hood UI tweaks for better/consistent layouts across different screen sizes/densities/android versions.
11-July-2010 -> 1.3.0
* Added workaround 3 (Ping the router gateway regularly)
* Lot of optimizations for battery savings.
* Apply workarounds without needing to select the policy again
06-July-2010 -> 1.2.1
* Changed "Advanced options" to button instead of text
* Bug Fix for a Force Close
* More Optimizations
* Help and Info Menus (to explain options and workarounds)
* Option to disable/enable debug logging
04-July-2010 -> 1.2.0
* Added workarounds to take care of sleep policies not working on some phones
* Optimized the code a bit for faster operations
* Added Configuration screens to widgets (pops up whenever widget is added)
28-June-2010 -> 1.1.0
* Added Widget
27-June-2010 -> 1.0.0
* Initial Version