Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,266 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Car chargers 1000ma?

Tip us?

xtripnic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Car chargers 1000ma?

I'm currently using a regular usb cable to charge my phone directly from my car stereo while driving. The problem is that it takes close to an hour for the battery charge to increase 10% when I'm streaming pandora through bluetooth and using the phone's GPS. I'm assuming that the usb port in my stereo is only capable of putting out 500ma, if not less. Curious to see if anyone knows whether a DC to micro usb cable would give me a faster charge (1000ma). Thanks in advance.

gtkansan
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
BEst one ive ever used is the official palm one for the pre or pixi. Completely charges the evo from dead to full in about an hour while on the road on a call via bluetooth. Seriously good, verified a while ago on the precentral.net forums that its 1000 mA. They are only like 15 bucks at best buy, or maybe even less on amazon.

macdon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Go to amazon or google and search for 12V 1Amp USB charger and that should give you exactly what you need...I use a 1Amp charger for all my devices and works just fine...1 thing to note, that if you have time to use a 500ma charger, let it do it, a little bit slower charge will extend the life of the battery(not necessarily run time, but the length of time the battery will hold as good of a charge).

xenokira
Old
(Last edited by xenokira; 7th July 2010 at 04:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I use the one below. Works pretty great..5V/1A, exactly what you'd need. The thing says iPod, but it can be used for any USB charged device. An extra nice feature of this charger is that it sits nearly flush with the dash of your car :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-...&skuId=9235302
Link no longer works...see this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...14&postcount=6

xtripnic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cool, thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with the palm pre charger from amazon, a little pricey at $20, but that's the best deal I could find for it. I'd rather pay a little more than get one that will crap out on me in a month. And it terms of a slower charge (500ma) being more beneficial for a longer battery lifespan, I'd rather dish out $10-$15 in 6 months or so for a new battery than to have to deal with this ridiculously slow charging time

Slappy_G
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Default Another option for 1A (1000mA)...

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I think this may be useful to know:

Several other EVO forums ("fora?") have reported great success with this low-profile charger. I just got it off of amazon myself...

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Micro-A...00Q/ref=sr_1_1

You can also get 1-meter cables from Blackberry themselves on Amazon for $2.50 each, so if you have Amazon Prime, gets you a flexible solution for 11 bucks or so. I have ordered mine and will report back in 2 days...

xenokira
Old
(Last edited by xenokira; 7th July 2010 at 04:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy_G View Post

Several other EVO forums ("fora?") have reported great success with this low-profile charger. I just got it off of amazon myself...

You can also get 1-meter cables from Blackberry themselves on Amazon for $2.50 each, so if you have Amazon Prime, gets you a flexible solution for 11 bucks or so. I have ordered mine and will report back in 2 days...
This is actually the same one I linked earlier minus the iPod cable and much cheaper :P

EDIT: Best Buy seems to have stopped carrying this product. I updated the link in my post above to Slappy_G's post :)

ntron1
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:

+1

Been using this for months on many devices and it works great.

blueblur
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:

I just ordered one from Amazon.com myself... I got it for free since I had a 10 dollar gift card that I forgot I had!!! Thanks for the link.

gottria
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Do they make one with 2 USB ports? One for charging the phone and another for your Bluetooth head piece.