MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

SIM network unlock PIN for Samsung Galaxy S

OP Techno79

30th June 2010, 09:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22

337 posts
Probably a silly question but I have the following problem:
I have 3 cards (Orange and 2 x T-Mobile). When I put either T-Mobile SIM in my phone, it requests a SIM network unlock PIN. I have the option of entering this in or clicking a dismiss button which will take me pass this screen but doesn't register onto the GSM network. This doesn't happen on my Orange SIM as this registers straight away onto the GSM network.

All 3 SIM cards do not request a PIN when I use them with two other phones that I have (HTC Hero and HTC TyTn 2).

On the SGS I have tried the pins 0000, 12345 and 1234 which are default PINs that I recall. I've checked the manual for the SGS and the literature that came with my T-Mobile SIM card and neither give any hints about a default PIN or about a SIM network unlock PIN.

I'm not sure if the PIN request is coming from the phone or the SIM card. I'm guessing it's coming from the phone but I don't know why it doesn't request this when I use my Orange SIM card.

I purchased the phone SIM free. The Orange SIM is a PAYG and the two T-Mobile SIMs are pay monthly contracts. I know all 3 SIMs work without PINs in my other phone.

Can anyone help? I'm assuming I'm missing something really simple but can't figure out what. I've already tried a dozen google searches with no luck. Please please help. I feel I'm being deprived of my 2 hour old SGS phone
1st July 2010, 01:08 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

337 posts
I've now taken a video of the boot up sequence to show you what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-RvvCK2bM

Can anyone confirm or refute whether this is happening on their SGS too? It seems like it's a Security Code on the handset but I can't find any setting for such a code.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
1st July 2010, 02:17 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno79

Can anyone confirm or refute whether this is happening on their SGS too? It seems like it's a Security Code on the handset but I can't find any setting for such a code.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don't think your phone is actually SIM free... no issues here using any SIM I like (purchased from Unlocked Mobiles). Where did you get yours?
1st July 2010, 07:33 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

337 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4nick

Don't think your phone is actually SIM free... no issues here using any SIM I like (purchased from Unlocked Mobiles). Where did you get yours?

I purchases it from handtec. I don't think it is Sim free for the following reasons:
1. It was listed as Sim free
2. The box it came in also seems to indicate it is Sim free
3. There is no carrier logo on the phone or anything it came with
4. Seems to work with my Orange Sim card (which implies the phone came from orange if it was Sim free and this phone hasn't been released on Orange).

I'm guessing by the single thread reply that no one else has come into this issue before? And it's probably not just a simple default security code?
1st July 2010, 09:36 AM   |  #5  
Flag Northampton
Thanks Meter: 9

120 posts
More
I don't know if this will help, but when I was asked for a sim code on a new Nokia phone, about two years ago, I rang Voda and asked for the pin code. In your case you would need to ask T Mobile.
1st July 2010, 12:34 PM   |  #6  

2 posts
I have the exact same issue with my Galaxy from Handtec which arrived today. I hope they aren't selling sim-locked phones as sim-free... Time to call Voda...
1st July 2010, 12:55 PM   |  #7  

2 posts
Ok, apparently it's a known issue. Just spoke to handtec, they say they got a batch of phones from Samsung which are locked to Orange. Call them for a replacement/refund. Don't mess about with the phone support line, it just points you to the website and disconnects you, call them and speak to sales. 01733 298500
1st July 2010, 06:44 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

337 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleancraig

Ok, apparently it's a known issue. Just spoke to handtec, they say they got a batch of phones from Samsung which are locked to Orange. Call them for a replacement/refund. Don't mess about with the phone support line, it just points you to the website and disconnects you, call them and speak to sales. 01733 298500

Ah ok, that makes sense and which is why my Orange SIM card worked but not T-Mobile. I may have come to this conclusion if I had a Vodafone and O2 SIM knocking about.

Thanks for the info. Will be returning the phone for a replacement.
1st July 2010, 06:56 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

337 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4nick

@n4nick: It appears as though you were right although the phone doesn't look like an Orange locked phone. Orange are notorious for plastering their big ugly logo on the physical phone and all over the software. They even put their logo on the box, accessories and manuals. This phone really looks like a SIM free version.

I wonder if the Orange locked batch were due to go to Orange for them to do their usual carrier differentiation before they then go out to customers.
17th July 2010, 04:37 PM   |  #10  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 250

249 posts
More
Hi!, I've bought Samsung Galaxy S from handtec too and I get the same message: sim network unlock pin. I've just sent request to Handtec support.
What about you? Did you somehow unlock? Or did you change your phone?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread