Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [Evo] (01/29/2011)

Tip us?

dzuchowski
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kminatta View Post
i am new to A2SD and i have searched everywhere for help. i have A2SD enabled (verified in terminal and shows 619 MB free of 959 MB under A2SD), but many of my installed applications show that they could be moved to SD when i go into "Manage Applications" under settings. should i move them to the SD card with "Manage Applications" or one of the APP2SD programs in the Market, or do i leave it alone? is there a way to make sure apps are moving to the SD via A2SD or a way to cause my apps to move again to the SD card? lastly, is there a website where i can get some very detailed instructions on using A2SD (i.e., what zipalign is, etc.)? Thanks!
I also would like to know also

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dcharleyultra
Old
Thanks Meter 176
DT apps2sd uses the "a2sd" commands to work with applications. The initial invoking of DT moves all apps to the ext2/3/4 partition. "a2sd remove" moves the apps off the ex2/3/4 partition. "a2sd reinstall" moves them back.

I use Titanium Backup to check where my apps are stored: The initial page has storage data at the bottom. What you want is about at least 100MB of internal memory free, and your ext partition using a couple 100 or so MBs - depending on the number of apps you have installed.

I think the first couple of posts talk about or have links for the DT commands.

Note: the DT apps2d is different than the "native" Froyo apps2sd, and they use different parts of the sdcard.

Note 2: DT extends the "internal" memory space, so your apps may still have the "Move to SD Card" option, IIRC.

Quote:
i am new to A2SD and i have searched everywhere for help. i have A2SD enabled (verified in terminal and shows 619 MB free of 959 MB under A2SD), but many of my installed applications show that they could be moved to SD when i go into "Manage Applications" under settings. should i move them to the SD card with "Manage Applications" or one of the APP2SD programs in the Market, or do i leave it alone? is there a way to make sure apps are moving to the SD via A2SD or a way to cause my apps to move again to the SD card? lastly, is there a website where i can get some very detailed instructions on using A2SD (i.e., what zipalign is, etc.)? Thanks!
Sprint Galaxy SIII:
Root: CF-Auto-Root
Model: SPH-L710
Baseband: L710VPUCMK3
Kernel: 3.0.31-dkp-gd5473e7
decilmalman@goliath #1
Mon Dec 9 17:34:52 EST 2013
Build: JSS15J.L710VPBUCMK3

chromecast:
Root: flashCast
ROM: Eureka

Galaxy Tab 3 8.0:
Root: eeamshh
Model: SM-T310
Kernel: 3.0.31-1422334
se.infra@SEP-97 #1
Mon Aug 19 08:55:20 KST 2013
Build: JDQ39.T310UEUAMH2

NookColor:
Root: leapinlar CM7 SDcard
CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)

All Rights Reserved
The Following User Says Thank You to dcharleyultra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kminatta
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharleyultra View Post
DT apps2sd uses the "a2sd" commands to work with applications. The initial invoking of DT moves all apps to the ext2/3/4 partition. "a2sd remove" moves the apps off the ex2/3/4 partition. "a2sd reinstall" moves them back.

I use Titanium Backup to check where my apps are stored: The initial page has storage data at the bottom. What you want is about at least 100MB of internal memory free, and your ext partition using a couple 100 or so MBs - depending on the number of apps you have installed.

I think the first couple of posts talk about or have links for the DT commands.

Note: the DT apps2d is different than the "native" Froyo apps2sd, and they use different parts of the sdcard.

Note 2: DT extends the "internal" memory space, so your apps may still have the "Move to SD Card" option, IIRC.
thanks for the help. so if the apps still have the "Move to SD Card" option, should i move them or not? is it just a case of the OS not recognizing that a2sd has moved them to the SD card already? also, i did a "a2sd reinstall" command after a2sd was already set up. it caused a few force closes and immediately rebooted my phone. could doing that if a2sd is set up correctly cause problems or break anything?

-Protos
Old
Thanks Meter 10
As it seems there is still a lot of confusion.

For newcomers, all that is needed is the 'a2sd reinstall' command, this will make ALL applications run from your SD Card.

If you want to run your Dalvik Cache from your SD Card that you should consider the 'a2sd cachesdreset' command (minimum class 4 recommended)

dzuchowski
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Protos View Post
As it seems there is still a lot of confusion.

For newcomers, all that is needed is the 'a2sd reinstall' command, this will make ALL applications run from your SD Card.

If you want to run your Dalvik Cache from your SD Card that you should consider the 'a2sd cachesdreset' command (minimum class 4 recommended)
did the 2sd reinstall and rebooted
did the a2sd cachesdreset and rebooted and using a rom that has this cooked into it.... from your list of approved roms....

tkirton
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Try this: http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2s...03b-signed.zip

This has a fix for a2sd and dtapp (used by the dtinstall script) that I am including in Beta 04. This should fix the issue of quick boot issue (which is Apps2SD thinking you are running it from the command line...Busybox PS kept saying that android.process.acore exists when it didn't....changed the PS command from Busybox to Toolbox.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
Well, I didn't bother to run an a2sd check once the ROM booted up. but I currently am using 2.7.5.2 with no problems. I flashed 2.7.5.3 beta 02, wiped cache/dalvik, and rebooted.

It was then that I realized the quick boot time meant no ext3 and from there the app drawer had none of my programs in it. So, I just assumed it was because of beta status and nandroided.

Should I give beta 03a a shot?

tkirton
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Well, then the excuse after Froyo will be they are waiting for Gingerbread to drop.

I'll see what I can do. I can't promise anything, but I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 View Post
well the excuses from the epic devs is they are waiting for official froyo to drop first!

BUT if you can port it ill be glad to test for you and ill donate.

tkirton
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
This is the common confusion that happened when Froyo was released.

Starting with Froyo, Google included an implementation of Apps2SD that uses the existing FAT32 partition on your SD card. It creates a special folder on your SD card that is normally hidden (most File Managers can see it, though). The options you are seeing regarding moving apps to SD card is from this version of Apps2SD.

This version only moves applications. Dalvik-cache is still left in internal storage and can eat away at your phone storage, even with applications on your SD card. Plus, program data is also left on internal storage, so any web browsing and additional program information will eat away at your internal storage.

The plus side on this implementation is you don't need to know anything else and you don't need to root. Plus, if the programs are compiled using at least Froyo SDK, you can choose which programs move to SD card and which ones stay (some programs will automatically move to the SD card...Angry Birds is one example).

The minus is that some report is that it is a slower implementation of Apps2SD, plus you can't move dalvik-cache or program data. Also, this implementation is only available in version 2.2 and greater (Froyo, Gingerbread). Also, unless programs were recompiled using the Froyo or Gingerbread SDK, they will not move to the SD card without using a third party program or a rom that is designed to force the move.

Classic Apps2SD (also knows as A2SD+, Apps2EXT, SD-EXT) is an implementation that has existed since Cupcake (version 1.5..it may have existed before that). This implementation uses a native Linux (EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4) partition you create on your SD card to move your applications to. The benefit to this is that since Android's kernel is Linux, there is no special instructions to get applications to run in this partition. The trick to this implementation is that it uses a well-documented Linux function called Symbolic Links. Symbolic links perform a similar function as shortcuts do in Windows. The application directory is not located in internal storage, but on the SD card. A pointer file is created to redirect any programs to reference the SD card. This function is behind the scenes...Android will always think it is saving to internal storage when it is really saving to the SD card.

The plus side to this is that some people claim operations are faster in this implementation (since it is using native Linux filesystem). Also, using the same redirections, other files can be put on the SD card (dalvik-cache [Dalvik2SD, Cache2SD] and program data [Data2SD]), freeing up more internal space. Plus, it is compatible with all versions of Android.

The minus side to this is that you would have to repartition your SD card into two partitions (EXT2 / EXT3 / EXT4, and FAT32). You will need to root your phone. Stock roms (or the original software that came on your phone) will not work with this implementation unless it is modified. Also, you will need a third-party implementation (most roms have some form of Apps2SD/Apps2EXT implementation, so this is not usually a concern). You will usually not be able to pick and choose which program to send to external storage...it's usually all or nothing.

Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkirton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freeza
Old
(Last edited by freeza; 29th January 2011 at 10:33 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9507

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirton View Post
Try this: http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2s...03b-signed.zip

This has a fix for a2sd and dtapp (used by the dtinstall script) that I am including in Beta 04. This should fix the issue of quick boot issue (which is Apps2SD thinking you are running it from the command line...Busybox PS kept saying that android.process.acore exists when it didn't....changed the PS command from Busybox to Toolbox.)
Unfortunately, no go. Boot loops.

working ver: 2.7.5.2
dalvik-cache: cache partition
apps: 2GB EXT3
card: 32GB Class 10
Attached Files
File Type: zip dta2sd.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.3 KB, 27 views)

FastJoe78
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:

Here's what you need to know...When you are in the app manager and you see apps on the SD tab they are actually on the FAT32 partition and not on the EXT2/3/4 partition. This is common with certain apps like google sky map and angry birds because they are coded to automatically install themselves on the FAT32 partition. When you see an app on the SD tab in app manager simply click on the move to phone(which is actually not the internal storage anymore but the EXT2/3/4 partition you created). By moving it from SD to phone from the native app manager you are tricking the OS into using DT a2sd which is different from froyo apps2sd...so if an app in the app manager says you can move it to phone go ahead and do that...This is rare and usually only happens for very large apps that were already designed to use the native apps2sd...I also recently became aware that after updates to certain apps they move themselves back to the FAT32 partition do to how they are written...simply go to app manager and move to phone anything showing on the SD tab and you are good to go....

The Following User Says Thank You to FastJoe78 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
a2sd, apps2sd, boogers on my sdcard, darktremor, holy batman apps on sd