Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 52,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Video for those interested in the Galaxy S and the first Custom Rom MCR R1

Tip us?

aeo087
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Video for those interested in the Galaxy S and the first Custom Rom MCR R1

I got my Galaxy S a couple of days ago and had a couple of problems which I managed to fix. Now it works great! I flashed MoDaCo's MCR 1 and did the stall fix.
Here's a video for those interested in how the phone works with the first custom rom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RYugWwN4R4

Geryatrix
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks for the video, as a newcomer to Android, these informative vids are invaluable.

I'm looking forward to a simple run through of how you did it, as if it is simple enough, with little room for errors, I could be tempted if only to fix the GPS.

shawn_pro
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Hey i just wanted to ask whether u used the modaco's prebaked ROM (free) or the online kitchen where you have to pay for the service.

mark99uk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeo087 View Post
I got my Galaxy S a couple of days ago and had a couple of problems which I managed to fix. Now it works great! I flashed MoDaCo's MCR 1 and did the stall fix.
Here's a video for those interested in how the phone works with the first custom rom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RYugWwN4R4
thanks for the video

you say it is the best android you have used... what have you used before?

its just that, even with this modaco rom.. it still doesnt look from the video to be as snappy/fast as the HTC Desire.... the galaxy s should be more snappy given its better processor and gpu

istnelane
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Do we have to root the phone first?

aeo087
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
To answer a couple of questions:
1. You do not have to root the phone, the MoDaCo rom roots the phone for you, you do need to have flashed the latest firmware JFB.
2. I used the pre-baked, but I will donate to be able to make my own...
3. I've used the Evo, Nexus One, G1, Behold II, moment, and the Incredible.

aeo087
Old
(Last edited by aeo087; 5th July 2010 at 07:40 PM.) Reason: Misread one of the questions.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
"it's just that, even with this modaco rom.. it still doesnt look from the video to be as snappy/fast as the HTC Desire.... the galaxy s should be more snappy given its better processor and gpu"

I do think it's snappier than the Evo or Incredible (haven't used the desire).
I'll make a video with Launcher Pro, the UI is even smoother than with my TW.
You also have to remember that Android does not use the GPU for regular UI purposes, so the faster GPU shouldn't make a noticeable difference; If find that the galaxy s is faster when it comes to handling live wallpapers and the app-drawer. I also have no lag when launching or closing apps.