Buy from Dell or o2?

6th July 2010, 07:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I am planning on getting a Streak as a replacement for my HD2

I will be using an o2 sim card with the Streak. Would you recommend buying it from o2 or Dell? Are there any differences between the devices?
6th July 2010, 07:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 22

366 posts
More
o2. it will save you 20. 449 from dell, 429 from cpw locked to o2. plus you can walk into a cpw and get it on the day
6th July 2010, 07:26 PM   |  #3  
Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,485

9,512 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by regtee2

I am planning on getting a Streak as a replacement for my HD2

I will be using an o2 sim card with the Streak. Would you recommend buying it from o2 or Dell? Are there any differences between the devices?

The only difference is from o2 it has a bit of o2 software on it and its locked to o2. From dell its unbranded and unlocked and they are both the same price but dell has added 20 delivery on to there total. I would recommend getting one from dell you don't know in 6 months you may not be on o2 and you would have a phone locked to them where as for a extra 20 you can have any Sim card
6th July 2010, 07:31 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Thanks for the replies

Dell are doing 10% discount on the Streak through EPP - So that means I can get it for 409.08 including delivery.

Will we be able to upgrade the device with Dell's firmware, or would you have to wait for o2 to release their version of the firmware?
6th July 2010, 08:20 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

63 posts
Quote:

Thanks for the replies

Dell are doing 10% discount on the Streak through EPP - So that means I can get it for 409.08 including delivery.

Will we be able to upgrade the device with Dell's firmware, or would you have to wait for o2 to release their version of the firmware?

If other devices are anything to go by updates for the unbranded Streak will be out before the operator versions...
6th July 2010, 08:34 PM   |  #6  
Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,485

9,512 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbowz

If other devices are anything to go by updates for the unbranded Streak will be out before the operator versions...

Dell said at the launch that it will defiantly get 2.2 so cannot see them going back on that just wonder why they did not build it with 2.1 on board strange
6th July 2010, 11:19 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

310 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the replies

Hi Regtee2 - Can I ask how do you get this 10% EPP? Have googled it and tried various things on the Dell website and the most I can achieve is 3% EPP off a dell desktop.. Have you actually gone through to the basket and got this 10%? Ta.
6th July 2010, 11:36 PM   |  #8  

18 posts
You can get it from O2 online for 399. Thats 50 saving over Dell UK.
http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/Dell/Streak_16GB_PayG

EDIT: Just to confirm I have ordered one and will be receiving it tomorrow total cost 399. I tried getting one from a O2 store but they wanted me to purchase a 10 top up aswell. I already have an O2 contract I want to use, didn't fancy spending a tenner to chuck in the bin.
Last edited by d0s; 6th July 2010 at 11:41 PM.
9th July 2010, 04:16 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
I went into 3 O2 shops and tried to buy a Dell Streak on PAYG. Two of the shops wouldn't sell it to me on PAYG, just contract and the third said they can't sell it until the 24th July.

Think I'll go buy direct via Dell.
10th July 2010, 07:58 AM   |  #10  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 10

181 posts
More
Hi all

Just a couple of points the only branding on the Streak from 02 is an 02 splash screen on boot up and some 02 themed wallpapers and that's it. Oh and the first bookmark and the page that the Browser opens up to is set up to be 02 but this is easily changed or can even be deleted if you want.

Also the update will be coming over the air direct from Dell not from 02 as their is no 02 branding on the device for them to need to approve it thankfully.

Marc

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread