Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 49,923 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.1+] New Speed Dial App - Sign

Tip us?

simplyapplied
Old
(Last edited by simplyapplied; 23rd July 2012 at 10:47 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [APP][2.1+] New Speed Dial App - Sign

We just released our first app, a speed dial widget, Sign. We would love to get everyone's feedback and comments. Here's a brief description.

Sign is a unique, gesture based speed dialer for Android which lets you call or text your friends by simply drawing a gesture (signing) directly from your home screen.

Unlike other speed dial options such as direct dial icons or quick dial widgets, you don’t have to worry about accidentally calling somebody just because you inadvertently bump your phone’s screen. Sign is still extremely fast, easy to use, and best of all, you decide how to activate a text or phone call. Simply assign a gesture to any contact. To make a call or text, all you have to do is activate the widget and Sign right from your home screen. Simple and secure, it’s easy to use without even looking at your phone to find contacts or phone numbers.

We developed an enhanced recognition engine to provide a more accurate, consistent, and reliable system to recognize the gestures you assign to your contacts. Sign lets you assign single OR multi-stroke “Signs” to the people you call or text most often.

The free version, Sign Lite, has a limit of 3 Signs

and the full version, Sign ($1.99) has unlimited Signs

I can't post the QR Codes due to new user restrictions, but search Sign in the market.

Give it a try and let us know how you like it. If you have any issues with it at all, please send us an e-mail, we'll respond quickly to fix any problems. Also, we have quite a few ideas for future updates, but suggestions are always welcome.

Based on previous suggestions, we are working to allow user control over whether the default action is call or text.

simplyapplied
Old
(Last edited by simplyapplied; 8th July 2010 at 09:06 AM.) Reason: Now able to post links and images!!!
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Ok, I am now approved to submit images and links.

http://www.simplyapplied.com

I've put the screenshots in the following post.

Thanks for checking it out.

simplyapplied
Old
(Last edited by simplyapplied; 8th July 2010 at 09:08 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Ok, finally figured out how to get approval to post images/links.

I took the following screenshots using a free app called ShootMe (Johan Cloetens), which worked great. These do a better job of indicating how you Sign from the homescreen than the ones in the market.

I apologize in advance for the size of the first two, I have resized them about 10 different times but I can't get them to shrink.

The contact list with assigned gestures

A single stroke Sign on the homescreen (half cut off)

A multi-stroke Sign on the homescreen

Multiple gestures within one Sign (although this would defeat the purpose of a "speed" dial, it is possible to have up to 8 strokes in any Sign)

Call confirmation

The settings screen

Contact Assignment Screen

simplyapplied
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
A quick note - We've had mostly positive reviews so far and only one significant bug identified - Sign currently only syncs with Google contacts, so if you use EAS/3rd party contact lists, these currently do not show up in the list of contacts you can assign a gesture to. This is a known issue that the programmer is working to implement a fix. If you have this issue and want us to keep you updated, send us an e-mail at simplyapplied@gmail.com and we will let you know as soon as that problem has been resolved.

Also, if you have any suggestions or comments, please let us know. We are currently working on an update to implement a few suggestions we've already received. The primary change will be to allow the user to set either call OR text as the default action. Hopefully that will reduce how often you have to select one or the other.

Thanks to everyone who has tried it out.

SA

bhaiwaah
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Great app

Nice idea which is implemented well

meo
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Cool a dream - gesture for hardware back button

hy

is it possible to use it for the hardware back button ?
it will be great, because i can say go back with simple gesture and my hardware button will not use. This is a great usebillity.
i know it is only for the contacts but for the future ......

somethink like tasker -> : http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

simplyapplied
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo View Post
hy

is it possible to use it for the hardware back button ?
it will be great, because i can say go back with simple gesture and my hardware button will not use. This is a great usebillity.
i know it is only for the contacts but for the future ......

somethink like tasker -> : http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
Meo:

Thanks for the comment and I'm glad to hear you like the usability. Sign is currently for contacts only; however, we have discussed implementing some additional gesture controls for other actions on the phone and we are investigating how to do that effectively.

One issue with implementing additional functionality into Sign is that as a speed dial application, it is important for it to remain lightweight, responsive, and fast, otherwise people will choose other speed dial options. My initial thought is that if we do include the type of functionality you mention, it would be within its own separate application and not within the Sign speed dial application.

We do have other ideas for gesture-related applications that are currently in the design stages. You can check our webpage for regular updates on what we are working on. However, our primary focus now is to make sure everyone who has Sign is satisfied.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
AdrianK Old
Thanks Meter
Sounds great, I'll try it out in a bit. Before I do, I'd like to sugggest using the standard Android theme (or a Sense UI ROM/device if you really must) for screenshots. The one you're using on your device looks awful and it messes with the standard Android UI elements too.

saltorio
Old
Thanks Meter 65
I like it so far.

My only request would be to add a "Text Message" button to the call/cancel dialog, rather than using the buttons at the bottom.

It's more natural for me to launch Sign and make the gesture for my fiancee immediately, but I keep forgetting to select "Text Message" first.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N900W8) || Android 4.4.2 || Kernel: 3.4.0-859721 || Stock Rogers
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8010)
|| Android 4.1.2 || Kernel: 3.0.31 || Android Revolution HD 10.0
Samsung Galaxy Gear (V700)
|| Software JDQ39.V700XXUBNA6

simplyapplied
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaiwaah View Post
Nice idea which is implemented well
Thanks, glad you like it!