Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,438 Members 44,222 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUT] Ubuntu on Evo 4g

Tip us?

bobdude5
Old
(Last edited by bobdude5; 11th July 2010 at 02:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Exclamation [TUT] Ubuntu on Evo 4g

First you have to flash this zimage
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...1&d=1278649181

Do this by rebooting your phone into fastboot
adb reboot-bootloader

then,
fastboot flash zimage zImage

then reboot and follow the instructions on this tutorial and it will work like a charm

http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-hacks...on-htc-evo-4g/

Thank vinny75 for compiling the zimage that makes this work for the evo
and thank the guy who wrote the tutorial for everything else..
thank me for nothing because i didnt do anything lol

EDIT: EVERYBODY JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THIS LINK
http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-hacks...on-htc-evo-4g/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 18.jpg
Views:	6231
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	357258  

Jykinturah
Old
(Last edited by Jykinturah; 10th July 2010 at 09:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Please, wrong section... I am begging you. The Q&A section is two clicks away.

Ubuntu hasn't been ported to the Evo. It is a highly involved process. You can't expect a ROM for the Nexus One to work on the Evo right? There are drivers to port, kernel modifications to be made. Lots of stuff have to happen first.

The website you pointed to mentions that he is working on a port anyhow. Wait for that to come out.
I'm going to leave this here, because mistakes shouldn't be hidden under a rug, but acknowledged and learned from. I am following this thread, and I may give it a try when I am done with my Physics studies this weekend.
Jykinturah Ryuukami

bobdude5
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jykinturah View Post

Ubuntu hasn't been ported to the Evo. It is a highly involved process. You can't expect a ROM for the Nexus One to work on the Evo right? There are drivers to port, kernel modifications to be made. Lots of stuff have to happen first.

The website you pointed to mentions that he is working on a port anyhow. Wait for that to come out.
i messaged toast and he told me to put it in the development section

OneStepAhead
Old
Thanks Meter 452
Seems like a development thread to me

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
Diztronic Owner

My Current Devices:
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (AT&T)
  • OnePlus One
  • Asus Nexus 7
  • Apple iPad (Verizon - 3rd Generation)

EtherealRemnant
Old
Thanks Meter 531
There is the Linux for android app in the market but it will only work with a loop file system which our kernels don't have or a specially partitioned SD card.

joeykrim
Old
(Last edited by joeykrim; 8th July 2010 at 05:02 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
There is the Linux for android app in the market but it will only work with a loop file system which our kernels don't have or a specially partitioned SD card.
if loop file system is required and loop support isnt compiled into the stock kernel, i haven't checked this, but with the HTC source coded release last week, shouldn't be an issue to compile your own kernel adding in loop support or having a ROM/kernel dev add in loop support.
edit: if i remember right, its a simple option to check under file system in the make kernel config.

pseudoremora
Old
(Last edited by pseudoremora; 8th July 2010 at 03:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Why is it you repeatedly insist on trolling this "wrong section" bull**** on almost all the threads? It's not your job.

Toast will take care of it. bobdude5 isn't a new member and yet you treat him as such? His question obviously belongs in this section and even when you call him out on it... a Mod has already authorized him to post in section? I bet you feel dumb.

It seems to me, you have no idea where most questions belong, it's probably best you keep your mouth shut and let Toast worry about those who are posting in the wrong section -- it's not even that hard for a Mod to move certain questions to a different section.

Add your input, just don't be a troll.

Jykinturah
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoremora View Post
Why is it you repeatedly insist on trolling this "wrong section" bull**** on almost all the threads? It's not your job.

Toast will take care of it. bobdude5 isn't a new member and yet you treat him as such? His question obviously belongs in this section and even when you call him out on it... a Mod has already authorized him to post in section? I bet you feel dumb.

It seems to me, you have no idea where most questions belong, it's probably best you keep your mouth shut and let Toast worry about those who are posting in the wrong section -- it's not even that hard for a Mod to move certain questions to a different section.

Add your input, just don't be a troll.
Yes, I feel dumb. And I am also very sorry. I will stop.
Jykinturah Ryuukami

|Jason8|
Old
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It's appreciated.

I'd be interested in getting Ubuntu working on the EVO 4G. This is definitely a kick-start kind of thread to get that done, too, and could definitely be a start to a larger project that didn't have much visibility before.

pseudoremora
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
I too apologize for my overbearing tone, it's just there are a tun of new people here and then there are veterans -- most of which know the rules by now and understand the ramifications for there actions; don't take it upon yourself to worry about them; that's what the mods are for. Again, sorry.... and thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Jason8| View Post
It's appreciated.

I'd be interested in getting Ubuntu working on the EVO 4G. This is definitely a kick-start kind of thread to get that done, too, and could definitely be a start to a larger project that didn't have much visibility before.
You might want to check the Nexus One thread, someone has gotten Ubuntu to work on it... the setup might be able to work with the EVO.