I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's really bad. 304 17.16%
Other/See Results. 162 9.14%
Voters: 1772. You may not vote on this poll

[Discussion] GPS Problems, Lock speed, Accuracy, Fixes - The Poll

Tip us?

TravUK
Old
Thanks Meter 1
To be sure is working you need to use something like GPS Test. If you just run maps it will use cell towers and wifi too. So may look like its working better than it really is.

Although for every one of us with a problem, there seems to be another with GPS working fine.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
Samsung Galaxy S II - Android 2.3.3(XWKF3)

Views expressed here are my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Beards
Old
Thanks Meter 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravUK View Post
To be sure is working you need to use something like GPS Test. If you just run maps it will use cell towers and wifi too. So may look like its working better than it really is.

Although for every one of us with a problem, there seems to be another with GPS working fine.

Agree.... The GPSTest app is great in what it does...... just a shame the Galaxy S performs nowhere near as good as my HD2 and the older HD.
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.

P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.

pinoypower
Old
Thanks Meter 21
mine is working great. It finds me in no time. The navigation is a lot smoother than my Tomtom XL Live, I don't like the voice though. Can this be changed at all? Can't find an option to do this....

Phone History: Motorola Micro TAC | Nokia 3210 | Nokia 3310 | Nokia 3320 | Nokia 6610 | Nokia 6600 | Sony Ericsson T68i (back-up) | Nokia N73 | Motorola C385 (back-up) | Nokia N95 | HTC Touch Diamond | Samsung Omnia i900 | Samsung i780 | Samsung Galaxy S | Sony Ericsson ARC | Samsung Galaxy Note | HTC One S | Galaxy Tab 8.9 3G | Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi | Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ....

TravUK
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards View Post
This will be interesting....
Hope you manage to get through Mark.
Actually, from the spec's it does look like one of ours, namely the InCrystal 20751, with GPS/BT3/FM support. So anything I did learn I wouldnt be able to share anyway.

Views expressed here are my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Pika007
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravUK View Post
Can you post a pic from GPS Test, with the phone locking on satellites below 20.

Thanks.
Will do as soon as i manage to get such a lock again.

sjdean
Old
Thanks Meter 5
It's not 22, the Samsung Galaxy S won't lock onto anything of 20 SnR or below unlike HTC Desire/G1 etc.

If you see a grey bar in "GPS Test", that is not a lock on, that is just "I can see this satellite".

The current XXJF3 software seems intent on only using upto 8 satellites, even though you may see 11 all with a good signal, you will only ever use 8.

I wonder if this is half of the problem, it cannot use all the satellites it sees, so when there's a bad signal from a couple in one direction, you lose your lock and it has to try to work frantically to establish a lock elsewhere.

Does XXJF5 allow a lock to more than 8 satellites? Does it open up use to Signal Strength of 20 or below?

peterlan
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakalamaka View Post
I have flashed the JF5 firmware on my phone and the GPS quality improved drastically.
Not on my phone. The GPS is still useless.

sjdean
Old
Thanks Meter 5
For those whose GPS is working fine, we need to know I think what your baseband version is, and whether you rebooted your phone prior?

I seem to get a better signal after a reboot. Better, but not perfect.

I must admit as well, you need to walk around the block and see what happens.

Although I think those of us with GPS problems will see problems when stationery, sometimes, you do get a strong lock on. But walk around a bit, and the thing gets confused. If you take a look at the Sky Map or Satellite Position maps in GPS Test et al, you will the direction "North" bounce around all over the place.

TravUK
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hmm, this is interesting. Have just tried it again, and now it can see 8 and locks to 8, but the weather has changed in the past couple of hours as the temperature has dropped and its clouded over, so from I have just seen, I wonder if atmospherics have something to do with it.

SgtJoe86
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I too am facing some problem with getting a proper GPS lockon. Even after finding an open spot and spending couple of minutes searching for my destination, the phone still encounters problem getting a proper lockon. Sometimes it took a restart of the navigation app and turning off and on of the GPS receiver before it can finally get proper lock on the satellites.

Does it got anything to do with the phone design or firmware issue?

Tags
branches, firmware, fix, forks, gps, gps fix, jh2, lock, naming, sgs, upgrade