Voters: 1773. You may not vote on this poll

[Discussion] GPS Problems, Lock speed, Accuracy, Fixes - The Poll

OP oxylos

21st June 2010, 04:02 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 4

124 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyxerakias

This is very worrying, GPS is important for me, I don't want to have another N97 on my hands... fingers crossed it's a software issue....

I'll have another play on the way home and let you know if there's any improvements.
21st June 2010, 05:04 PM   |  #12  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 1

397 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolopolus

I'll have another play on the way home and let you know if there's any improvements.

I've not noticed any problems in Google Navigation. It found me almost instantly, and was so accurate in terms of showing me where I was while driving that there was almost no perceivable lag.

Whatever people are seeing it very unlikely to be a hardware issue, most phones use GPS chips from only 1 or 2 suppliers, its much more likely something temporary like a driver issue.
21st June 2010, 05:15 PM   |  #13  

124 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravUK

I've not noticed any problems in Google Navigation. It found me almost instantly, and was so accurate in terms of showing me where I was while driving that there was almost no perceivable lag.

Whatever people are seeing it very unlikely to be a hardware issue, most phones use GPS chips from only 1 or 2 suppliers, its much more likely something temporary like a driver issue.

TravUK, have you tried google maps - did you have any problems with it? (although I assume navigation would be using the same data to find you)
21st June 2010, 06:35 PM   |  #14  
Flag UK

397 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolopolus

TravUK, have you tried google maps - did you have any problems with it? (although I assume navigation would be using the same data to find you)

Yep, Maps works fine, including latitude. Also used Waze which took a little while to get a fix, but was also ok.
21st June 2010, 06:38 PM   |  #15  

124 posts
Well the journey home was much better! Probably helped that I was sitting by the window on the top deck of the bus, but I managed to get a much better fix, using both google maps and navigation. It wasn't like 100% accurate or anything, but certainly no worse than my hd2. Hardly got the large blue circle, but it did think I was in a field a few times, but that's to be expected. To note, didn't seem to make much difference whether I had both gps and cell data selected, or just gps.
21st June 2010, 09:00 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 9

87 posts
More
My gps works perfect. Google maps finds it instantly and waze and speedometer apps work fine too. Localization is spot on. The gps even connects when I'm inside the house wich my Diamond never did.
21st June 2010, 11:04 PM   |  #17  
Flag Sweden
Thanks Meter: 2

33 posts
More
I tested Navigon, which can be download from Market for a tryal period of 30 days now, and it working great on my Samsung i9000
22nd June 2010, 11:40 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 12

93 posts
More
it may be a firmware issue , everyone who is having problems should post the sw. version for comparision with others
28th June 2010, 07:46 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 3

46 posts
Thumbs down Comparison of Galaxy GPS and iPhone 3G gps.
Hey everyone,

There's been some discussion regarding the "quality" of the GPS function in the Galaxy S, and after testing it out today, I sure hope it's a software bug or I'm going to be very disappointed.

This is my run as recorded by my iPhone 3G (with Fitnio): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/810054/samsu...icture%203.png

Now this is the same run as recorded by my Galaxy S (with RunKeeper): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/810054/samsu...icture%202.png

Take a wild guess which one actually reflects reality. Can anyone shed light on if the new "leaked" firmware fixes these problems?
28th June 2010, 08:19 PM   |  #20  
Flag UK

397 posts
More
They're all based on standard chipsets so its unlikely there's anything wrong with the GPS receiver itself. I hope it gets updated soon as it seems to be affecting a fair number of people.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
branches, firmware, fix, forks, gps, gps fix, jh2, lock, naming, sgs, upgrade
Previous Thread Next Thread