[ROM][BBQ] CyanogenMod-6.1 for Dream & Magic :: V6.1.0 (12/05/2010)

Search This thread

cyanogen

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.2 (Froyo) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This version is for the old radio on both Dream and Magic. I plan to support the new radio soon.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

This is an AOSP-based build with extra contributions from many people which you can use without any type of Google applications. I found a link from some other project that can be used to restore the Google parts, which can be found below or elsewhere in the thread. I've still included the various hardware-specific code, which seems to be slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Visit the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes and features!

If you'd like to to contribute to CyanogenMod, checkout our Gerrit instance.

It's important to know that the "DangerSPL" (or DeathSPL or Haykuro's SPL or whatever you prefer) is a prerequisite for Dream/G1 users. Magic (MT3G etc) users do *not* need to do this. Ciwrl has written a guide to installing this bootloader. Flashing this bootloader under the wrong conditions can actually brick your device, so pay attention to the guide. CM releases have always avoided this requirement, but the new bootloader frees up enough space so that no crazy hacks are required for a fully functional system, and it's easier to keep in sync with the N1/Droid releases.

INSTRUCTIONS:
- First time flashing CM 6 to your Dream/Sapphire (or coming from another ROM)?
1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery via ROM Manager or Amon_RA's recovery image
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Update your radio if necessary
4. WIPE
5. Install the ROM
5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM6?
1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?
- Was it a hard reboot? Get me the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
- Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
- Pastebin links preferred
- Please use the issue tracker whenever possible!

Please visit the CyanogenMod Wiki for step-by-step installation walkthroughs and tons of other useful information.

The preferred method of installation is via ROM Manager, or you can head over to the CM Forums for manual downloads.

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!

Last edited:

PSP_Hacker

Apr 8, 2009
WOO HOO MY G1 IS GETTING THE REAL FROYOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

This is fantastic! I flashed defconoi's CM6 nightly build 2 hours ago but I have to wipe and try out the official sauce :D

GO CYANOGEN

B6gSix

flashing asap. good work cyan. by the way is the clock work recovery working fine with this rom cause i kno with defcon's there was some contraversey. but just asking

Now flashing rc2....lets see were this goes.... good work cyanogen.

Last edited:

jaygajay

Oct 25, 2007
Altamonte Springs
OnePlus 7 Pro
ROM running smoothly so far. Will see how it keeps up over time. But knowing Cyan it will definitely satisfy. Just updating from Nightly to RC1. And I thought they said it couldn't do that to the G1. LOL.

I wish people wouldn't post stupid stuff about posting on the first page and stuff. Why can people never have something useful to contribute than "First". No wonder people can never find anything around here.

ytj87

Jul 16, 2009
If someone a year ago had predicted this for the G1, I and probably everyone else would have laughed. UNBELIEVABLE work. Congrats to the whole team.

ctbeiser

Apr 24, 2010
It's cliche, but...

And they said it couldn't be done. Well, you showed them, Cyanogen. Many, many, many thanks.

JAguirre1231

ROM running smoothly so far. Will see how it keeps up over time. But knowing Cyan it will definitely satisfy. Just updating from Nightly to RC1. And I thought they said it couldn't do that to the G1. LOL.

I wish people wouldn't post stupid stuff about posting on the first page and stuff. Why can people never have something useful to contribute than "First". No wonder people can never find anything around here.

First to quote your post. OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!1!

Best FroYo I've run so far kind sir.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.2 (Froyo) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This version is for the old radio on both Dream and Magic. I plan to support the new radio soon.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is an AOSP-based build with extra contributions from many people which you can use without any type of Google applications. I found a link from some other project that can be used to restore the Google parts, which can be found below or elsewhere in the thread. I've still included the various hardware-specific code, which seems to be slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Visit the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes and features!

If you'd like to to contribute to CyanogenMod, checkout our Gerrit instance.

It's important to know that the "DangerSPL" (or DeathSPL or Haykuro's SPL or whatever you prefer) is a prerequisite for Dream/G1 users. Magic (MT3G etc) users do *not* need to do this. Ciwrl has written a guide to installing this bootloader. Flashing this bootloader under the wrong conditions can actually brick your device, so pay attention to the guide. CM releases have always avoided this requirement, but the new bootloader frees up enough space so that no crazy hacks are required for a fully functional system, and it's easier to keep in sync with the N1/Droid releases.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    - First time flashing CM 6 to your Dream/Sapphire (or coming from another ROM)?
    1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery via ROM Manager or Amon_RA's recovery image
    2. Do a Nandroid backup!
    3. Update your radio if necessary
    4. WIPE
    5. Install the ROM
    5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM6?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?
    - Was it a hard reboot? Get me the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
    - Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
    - Pastebin links preferred
    - Please use the issue tracker whenever possible!

Please visit the CyanogenMod Wiki for step-by-step installation walkthroughs and tons of other useful information.

The preferred method of installation is via ROM Manager, or you can head over to the CM Forums for manual downloads.

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!
    Not to piss off anyone, but I'd like to point out that I haven't heard any echo of logic here, from both parties.
    I have heard the ungrateful rant of a very poor (as in spirit, not money) person, and the fallacy of "I-am-oh-so-logic" of unknowingly-consumistic-driven people.

I am very grateful to Cyanogen & Team for all the work they've done, I would never, ever, complain to them if they dropped support for my G1 -which they did due to reasonable, understandable lack of interest- and moved on with more pleasant stuff.

I don't think, however, that two years is a reasonable age for a phone to die. My previous mobiles lasted way longer, and died of... "key broke", "battery worn out" and not "you should feel obsolete, and guilty, so buy a new phone from us". I have had a Pentium 200 MMX serve as my home server up to last year (1995-2010), when I replaced it because of.... it was noisy and my brother-in-law was tossing away a new (silent) computer.

I do not want to tell you you're wrong in following consumism but... what does it have to do with the BBQ of CyanogenMod-6.1 "they said it couldn't be done"? I don't want to hear it as much I don't want to hear ungrateful and silly comments about how Cyanogen & Team should spend their time. Can we drop both, please?

Ezterry has started something great on xda

a source repo for gingerbread dream/sapphire

its very much a 'support yourself' affair
    but if you are smart and post logcats, then some attention may be paid to it

within that thread are my Magpie builds, basically they are Ezterry's builds with CM5 like a2sdext ( Magpie ) added in.

some very kewl features with these builds
    Ezterry has recently added AutoKernel to the build system ( far superior to the script based AutoKernel I cobbled together )
    this means that one zip supports three different kernel types
    • ebi0 ( standard 32b )
    • ebi1 ( 32a and Rogers )
    • 2708 ( 32b with the extra 15mb ram )
    the correct kernel is installed automatically

• GPS is working
    • gapps and su working ( see bypass's posts in the thread )
    • internet calling ( see call settings in settings )
    • gmail has a bug, where you can't read 'long' emails , but the basic email app works fine
    • other stuff I can't remember

in general the ROM works very well,
    it doesn't have all the extra features people have come to expect from a CM, the main reason ( and I have to agree here ) is that ezterry wants a clean base, and some of the extras impinge on performance without any real gain.

if you look at ezterry's issues list on github you will see that he has indicated that he wants to shift the current build system towards one more akin to CM's , so that it can at some point be integrated with CM7

Find
    ezterry's builds in post 2
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=882356

The current Magpie can be found here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10678784#post10678784
    it is based on Ezterry's 2011-01-17 code

Magpie zips can be found here
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0uefg5g8kyeja

regards gapps, look in that thread
    I'll look at putting up some gapps zips
    personally I like the minimum on system, getting most from Market

so I'll do SuperTiny, Tiny and Full Fat ( might skip the full fat , and just package extra bloat to flash over a SuperTiny )

some of the gapps that are being linked in that thread are not great, they include hdmi which is just a waste of space for us

so what are you waiting for?
    nand backup and get flashing

and if you have 15-20 gb free on a Linux box, repo sync , and push some kewl changes to github ;)
    How is this ROM runnin on your phones? In mine it was very sloooow, I had Cyanogen4 (android 1.6) installed until last week and it was very fast (I had this phone as a backup) and tried to upgrade to Cyanogen6.1 because some apps do not exist for 1.6, I had many problems to find the proper files (spl, the rom, the google apps) no mirrors working. After all the struggle to find them, I installed and it was working fine but terribly slow even after full wipe and no apps installed and no widgets around.

I decided to downgrade to Cyano 5.0.8 and I have to say that I am much more happier (no mirror problems here btw), it is still an android (2.x) and it is working 3 (or even more) times faster, no longer I have to wait 5 seconds for the awk to load, or 10 seconds to swap between apps...

None else is experiencing this?

You could have got all the files you needed in one zip file from my sig. If CM6.1 is too slow for you, there's also a tweak guide in my sig, as well.
    Tutorial Update!

To everyone who used it or linked to it, my old tutorial has been updated for CM6.1.0. I also replaced the post with a link to a PDF of instructions. The PDF also contains a clickable link to download an archive of all the files needed for my setup. It's easier for me to update and also prevents my original tutorial post from ever disappearing, for whatever reason. REALLY wouldn't want to have to write that over again :D

Anyways, the link to the PDF guide is now in my sig, too. The link to the archived files is on the first page of the PDF. And If I ever have to update it, I'll make a post that there's an update. Hope it helps as much as it has in the past!
    Updated the guide. Mostly just a few minor revisions to SetCPU settings, a comment on how to easily enable swap (if you want to) and the inclusion of the swap script in the package (which the guide links to).

Unfortunately, MediaFire's free account only allows so many updates of links (to maintain the same link). So, irritably, the link to my guide has changed. You can find the updated link in my signature. Sorry to everyone who links to it in there's; you'll have to change it until I find a different hosting provider (or I just create a new user account on MediaFire...heh heh).

mediafire lets you maintain one folder 'shortcut'
    so link the folder and have as many revisions as you like ;)

also
    tinyurl has a handy feature, link a mediafire folder with a memorable name ;)