Rooting the Captivate

Tip us?

Balthazar B
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Rooting the Captivate

QQ regarding this:

Are all SGS devices sufficiently similar enough such that a custom ROM for one (say the VzW Fascinate, or a Euro version) will be directly usable by others, or will what differences there are in hardware build (e.g., internal memory, camera flash vs. none, etc.) fragment efforts in the developer community enough that custom ROMs will be slower to achieve?

The Captivate intrigues me since an unlocked version should be very usable in Europe (and for getting rid of ATT bloatware as well as all the other fixes a rooted phone is likely to get before ATT bothers to do so).
pongothemagnificent Old
Thanks Meter
They should all be the exact same internally, meaning the same rooting procedure of the european galaxy S, should also apply on the att version or any other version for that matter, and i hope so cause on the 18th im getting a captive woot =]

warri
Old
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafyvitto View Post
They should all be the exact same internally, meaning the same rooting procedure of the european galaxy S, should also apply on the att version or any other version for that matter, and i hope so cause on the 18th im getting a captive woot =]
im getting a captivate too, however, there are some differences between the hardware and internal guts between the phones. To name a few, Storage Space, Flash for rear camera, and the front facing camera.

These could affect the internal guts/firmware on the device.

But lets hope we can get a sweet and fast root
Follow me on Twitter: w4rri
Hit Thanks If I was helpful

Nexus 5 - AOSPA 4.1 - 16GB - ART

Retired:
Galaxy S3 - Quantum v3 KitKat
HTC One XL - CM10
Captivate - ICS AOKP - Glitch
HTC FUZE - ENERGY ROM -Raphael Cookie Reference
pongothemagnificent Old
(Last edited by pongothemagnificent; 12th July 2010 at 05:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter
Non of the gsm versions have flash beside the camera, ROM capacity and the front facing camera hardware have nothing to do with the rooting of any android device, im almost 100% that the european samsung galaxy S rooting procedure will work on any other samsung galaxy S variation.

Balthazar B
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
We'll know soon enough...perhaps even within a week of the Captivate's release (hey, that's an interesting play on words).

dseo80
Old
Thanks Meter 6
The rooting procedure will work - however the recovery mode my be crippled as the M110S (Korea) version is. Need to wait for a custom recovery - or use ODIN to flash.

But if you dont have backup of the old firmware it might be more difficult to root.

Anyways the samsung version of android is in general pretty easy to root. (no locked bootloader etc)

TexUs
Old
Thanks Meter 8
For all intents and purposes the Vibrant/Captivate should be identical in every aspect except for accessories. (Wonders why those forums weren't just merged together). TMobile's 3G bands are different, too.

Drachen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
There's already a quickie root file posted by justadude over in the Vibrant forum. One file in the .zip needs to be updated to reflect the Captivate model number (SGH-I897) but in theory, it should work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723479

chaoscentral
Old
(Last edited by chaoscentral; 13th July 2010 at 05:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Here is the edited and signed root update. Anyone with a Captivate care to try? It's the Vibrant root with the AT&T model added, so it should work

For reference the Captivate is the SGH-I897

so rename this to update.zip place in the root of the SD connect to adb and type adb reboot recovery and select "Reinstall Packages" using the volume keys and power to select

EDIT: removed the update.zip please see this post for the updated one
Phone:Galaxy Note 3 - VZW w/ Galaxy Gear
Stock

Twitter: chaoscentral

caelestis2
Old
(Last edited by caelestis2; 13th July 2010 at 01:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
nvm 10char

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe