Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 51,278 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Msm7kCpuSpeed - Overclock Raphael/Diamond/Topaz/Rhodium/Blackstone/Whitestone

Tip us?

NetRipper
Old
(Last edited by NetRipper; 31st July 2010 at 09:32 AM.) Reason: Updated title - MSM7k is a bit too wide, now mentioning specific devices
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] Msm7kCpuSpeed - Overclock Raphael/Diamond/Topaz/Rhodium/Blackstone/Whitestone

After LeoCpuSpeed to overclock the HD2, I've been working on overclocking the MSM7k SoC on the Raphael, with success. The same processor is present on the Diamond, Rhodium and the Topaz, so it should work on all of these devices. I've been able to underclock to 57MHz and overclock up to 710MHz, using small 19.2MHz steps. It can clock even further, but it depends on the quality of the processor in your device where the limit for you lies.

Supported devices
- Raphael
- Diamond
- Rhodium (check out this post for a nice guide and this app by oruam57 to prevent SOD)
- Topaz
- Blackstone
- Whitestone
- More?

Features
- The CPU speed is calculated from the actual clock registers, not via some dll or shady method.
- CPU speed is updated every 250ms (I haven't seen it auto-scale to other frequencies yet, but kept this feature from LeoCpuSpeed).
- A small dot blinks on each update so that you can see if your device hangs or not.
- Under- or overclock by moving the slider
- Automatically apply setting at boot

- While waiting for version 3 of this app, oruam57 made a little app that automatically scales down when the screen is off and overclocks again when exiting standby, effectively preventing SOD.

Notes on overclocking
1) AT YOUR OWN RISK
2) Only works while connected to AC power (depending on device)
3) The "604MHz" OC frequency is a special one. Only with this frequency set, you can remove AC power without having a lockup. So: after you overclock and want to remove your USB cable, set it to 604MHz first! You'll see it go back to the default 528MHz a second after you remove the cable. That's something the device does, not my app.
4) Overclocking while on battery gives insta-hang (for me). It seems this depends on the device.
5) Use "Apply at boot" wisely! If you use a setting that is unstable, your device may not boot up anymore! You'd need a hard-reset (factory settings).

When using TCPMP to benchmark the overclock, be aware that this tool overclocks the CPU, not the GPU.

Battery
I have not done any tests regarding battery life. The voltage to the processor is the same as when it is on 528MHz. It seems it cannot be increased. However, more speed will result in more heat, which means energy from your battery.
(And before you ask, I haven't performed any temperature tests either).

Screenshots

Versions
v2
- Enabled apply at boot option (Choose wisely, if your device hangs on boot, you'll need a hard reset)
- Fix app crash (trackbar exception) when going into standby
- Increased max freq to 902.4MHz for those fortunate enough
- SoD/hang on battery/etc not fixed yet

v1
- Initial release

Known issues
Q: My device hangs when unplugging from AC power
A: Read the overclock notes.

Q: When on battery and I press the "604MHz" button, it shows 604MHz for a brief second, and then goes back to "528MHz".
A: Some driver, module, or whatever in Windows Mobile enforces CPU speed every second, overriding the overclock. This is a known issue.

Q: My device hangs after standby (Sleep Of Death)
A: This is a known problem. Until fixed, only solution is to clock to "604" (the special frequency) before putting your phone away.

Q: Msm7kCpuSpeed crashes. When it does, and I click "details", it says something about System.Windows.Forms.Trackbar.set_Value.
A: This is a known problem. The app calculates frequency every 250ms. When the device goes into standby, there's a small window where the CPU is set to 19.2MHz, but my app isn't put to sleep by Windows Mobile yet. When in this small window, it calculates the frequency and updates the app, it crashes. This is because the lowest frequency in my app is 57.6MHz, and it can't find 19.2MHz (or 38MHz). Fixed in v2.

Credits
Thanks to phhusson and bzo for their overclock in the Linux kernel for MSM7k devices, where I could lend some code from.
And thanks to BASSMANBOB for letting me know such a tool is in demand.

Download
v2 HERE
v1 HERE
░ Wizard ► Hermes ► Raphael ► Leo ░ My Tech BlogTwitterDonate
TorchButtonKeypadLedControlLeoExtendedNotificationsLeoCpuSpeedMsm7kCpuSpeed
░ Linux on Diamond/Raphael and Leo
The Following User Says Thank You to NetRipper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NetRipper
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
reserved space

shaolin95
Old
Thanks Meter 875
Sweet...testing!

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel

mike2nl
Old
Thanks Meter 535
Hi NetRipper,

i hope that's real . I have installed the app without any issue on my phone (signature).

After starting the app the 528 MHz was shown.
A max from 787 MHz was possible to set.

>>The "604MHz" OC frequency is a special one. Only with this frequency set, you can remove AC power without having a lockup

I was able to set the 787 MHz and disconnect the AC power and no hangup.
I have to test now the BatterLifeTime. But this is at the moment not so important.
Sensation XE: 光盤 6, PYDX & AIO latest
SGT 7 3G: CM 11, 4.4.2 storm31
HD2: 光盤 3.7, marc 0.2.3
Teams: CHTBeta, CHTArt, CD
Apps: 3D Photo Browser Mods
Android Test Links: USB Echo

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 489
I confirm that there is no lockup after disconnecting from USB.
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

bennib.
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Working on Blackstone

Hi NetRipper,

I can confirm your tool works on the Touch HD (Blackstone). Made a short benchmark using SKTools Integer Test:

Result:
Default 528Mhz: ~295
710Mhz: ~425

It really boosts CPU performance! Any chance to get this working in Battery Mode? As you wrote the device crashes when trying to set a higher Value in Battery Mode.

Thank you very much!

boardsportsrule
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Works for me, both plugged in and unplugged.

@ stock speed interger test gives about 310,

@710 gives about 440,

tested unplugged @710 ~440,

tested unplugged, program exited @710 ~440.

THANKS!

ps. haven't tested lock screen.

ROM is JACKOS S2 full version with recommended radio

core7x
Old
Thanks Meter 26
waiting long time
[ro.product.model]: [GT-I8190N]
[ro.product.name]: [goldennfcxx]
[gsm.version.baseband]: [I8190NDXLL7]

HD T8282 [security unlocked]
Radio : 1.17.25.09
HSPL : 1.56.OliNex

Haret ROM Chainloader Emulator
// Linux on Blackstone
/* latest zImage builds

nearst @freenode

NetRipper
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennib. View Post
Hi NetRipper,

I can confirm your tool works on the Touch HD (Blackstone). Made a short benchmark using SKTools Integer Test:

Result:
Default 528Mhz: ~295
710Mhz: ~425

It really boosts CPU performance! Any chance to get this working in Battery Mode? As you wrote the device crashes when trying to set a higher Value in Battery Mode.

Thank you very much!
Thanks for letting me know it works on blackstone. Added that to the list.

I'm hoping I can get it to work in battery mode, but I still need to find the cause. I have the same issue on Leo also still, same cause probably. Will probably involve more disassembling and runtime patching to get this to work :s it's a pain.

shaolin95
Old
(Last edited by shaolin95; 14th July 2010 at 06:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 875
Awesome... 750Mhz = 465 :)
On battery working fine but I started in on AC though.

PS, unfortunately it is not quite stable at that speed but it looks cool anyway lol

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel

Tags
htc, msm7k, overclock, rhodium, touch pro2