Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,395 Members 45,931 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SGS and burn-in?

Tip us?

AshMa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default SGS and burn-in?

Does the SGS screen suffer from burn-in? And if so, is it permanent?

Pops_G
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Yes and yes. Its most likely to happen to the status bar since it is almost always displayed. You can help prevent it by using a launcher that allows you to hide the status bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_...6_LCD_.26_OLED
Phone: Galaxy Note LTE, Epic 4G, EVO 4G, DROID Incredible, HD2, AT&T Tilt2, AT&T Tilt

systoxity
Old
Thanks Meter 61
wow thnx for the heads up on this garbage! this peeves me, it betta come with warnings like plasma tvs

Pika007
Old
Thanks Meter 21
The problem really isn't that bad.
Tilting the device sideways sometimes to move the status bar around is plenty to prevent burn in of the status bar.

drleospaceman
Old
(Last edited by drleospaceman; 15th July 2010 at 07:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
I've been using a Cowon S9 (AMOLED) everyday since Feb '09 that has static images displayed on it a lot when playing music, and it has absolutely no signs of burn-in.

miker71
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've always been under the impression that only CRT can suffer permanent burn-in. On LCD/LED you can get residual image sometimes but it will not be permanent.

AshMa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I thought the answer to this question would get yes and no answers just like every other SGS issue gets a batch of yes and no's here.

So these dang screens suffer the same as plasma screens of yesterday?! Having to use the SGS differently than other types of devices sounds like another real letdown. The iPhone doesn't have much of a status bar and it's annoying compared to the pulldown status bar of the Evo/Android. In other words, am I the only one who thinks it's no good to have to hide the status bar or any other feature that would be fine on other devices? Not asking for perfection but the SGS does some things better than other devices. It would be nice if it also did all of the other basic things all the other superphones can do like have a status bar always on (without causing damage to the display) because....well......it's a status bar.

drleospaceman
Old
Thanks Meter 9
There really is no evidence that OLED has burn-in issues and with so many OLED devices out now I've not heard of one instance of it; even the wikipedia article posted here doesn't cite it's sources.

AshMa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drleospaceman View Post
There really is no evidence that OLED has burn-in issues; even the wikipedia article posted here doesn't cite it's sources.
I first thought of this after watching a pocketnow.com video in which they said it has happened and that one could just hide the status bar to help prevent this from happening. I don't know why this bothers me, due to the fact that I seem to get knew phones often. Regardless! I would be none too happy if after just a few months I too end up seeing a shadow of the status bar showing up during the boot screens. I'll try to locate that pocket now video.......

drizek
Old
Thanks Meter 14
The siaplay uses a pentile matrix to reduce the powwibility of burn in. Samsung has already considered this and found ways around it, you dint need to treat the phone any differently.