Note for HD2-users: Although this version can be also used for the HD2, you may like this version more (the HD2 version doesn't require that you provide a "preflash" .nbh file - see further).
FlashaholicRUU (FRUU) is a customized version of the HTC Rom Update utility that will simplify the rom update proces by:
1. performing a task29 before updating a rom
2. allowing the user to navigate through the dialog windows without having to check checkboxes (s)he has seen a gazillion times before.
3. allowing the user to use only the keyboard to go through the dialog boxes (enter -> next window, esc -> quit fruu)
Task 29 is performed by flashing a .nbh file before the (custom) rom file. Because the tool is meant to be general applicable for all devices you need to provide this "pre flashable" .nbh file yourself. In principle you can use any .nbh file for this. To speed up this first step though it is recommended to use a radio for your own device or better yet, a .nbh file containing only the splashscreen for your device. Rename this file (radio, splashscreen ) preflash.nbh and put it in a directory together with your custom rom file (may have any name as long as it has an .nbh extension) and the general_FlashaholicRUU.exe. Make sure there aren't any other files in the directory.
For the rest follow the instructions described in the section Usage
This program will take you through the steps of performing a Task29 (formatting your roms storage memory) and then flashing a new rom. It is not advised to use this if you are totally new to flashing roms as if it is done incorrectly you will end up with no rom on your phone and a permanent look of terror on your face
This is not for noobs!!
1. Make sure your phone is booted up
2. Sync your pc and phone
3. (you may skip this step if you've read the prerequisite) Copy the general_FlashaholicRUU.exe file to a new folder with JUST the roms .nbh file present and a rom you want to flash before you flash your rom. Rename this last rom file, the one you want to flash first, preflash.nbh
4. Run the general_FlashaholicRUU.exe and follow the instructions in the program
5. Click on the "perform task29" button to format your roms memory
6. As soon as the percentage bar reaches 100% hold your "volume down" button and continue holding until the phone reboots and enters the bootloader screen
NOTE: If you get a white screen with "hTC" in the middle then you need to take out your battery and enter bootloader mode manually before continuing (take battery out and put it back in, then hold the volume down button and briefly press the power button. Keep holding the volume down button until the bootloader screen appears).
7. When the white box in the bottom of the bootloader screen says "USB" then click on "Flash Rom" in the Flashaholic program
8. Follow the onscreen instructions and lastly click on "Flash" to flash the rom to your phone
9. You will now have a percentage bar on your phone and your new rom is being flashed
10. Once your Rom has flashed your phone will reboot and you can go through the setup screens.
Run your new Rom for a few hours, search for another one and start again with step 1 (if you want to become a real senior flashaholic)
NOTE: There is no need to perform a Hard Reset after flashing the Rom using this program as the Task29 performs a much more thorough job.
When you want to flash a rom without performing task 29 (for example when you want to flash a new radio) just hit <ESC> on the first screen of step 1. This will take you right to step 2 in which you can flash your rom
Video of the app on a computer of a fellow flashaholic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3pGbW-vag. Thank you claub. Keep on flashin'
- Note to chefs:
You can pack FRUU with your Roms. You can even customize FRUU for your Rom series. For example you can use your own images, text, info etc. I have written some general instructions about customizing the RUU here. (Notice that in FRUU ModelID.fig is used for the first task29 step and RUU.fig is used for the second step. The dialogs for the first step are part of RUUResource.dll. Dialogs for the second step you will find in CustomizedRomResource.dll. Instead of the setup.bat and setup.vbs I mentioned in the aforementioned post I used the files run.bat and run.vbs. For exra information you can PM me)
Thanks to: doloop (for his non-mtty task 29 tool)
Note: this tool should work for any (newer) htc device. Nevertheless make sure that your bootloader will support task 29 and that experiments with mtty task 29 has positive results for your device (look at the development section for your device forum)
Devices on which this tool is reported to work:
* Leo (HD2)
* Rhodium (Touch Pro 2, Tilt 2)
* Topaz (Diamond 2, Pure)
* Raphael (Touch Pro, Fuze)
(please pm me or report your device in this thread if the tool worked also for your device and that device is not in this list yet)