Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 46,162 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS?

Tip us?

nricci
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwijib0 View Post
... but in both GPS test apps I'm seeing SNRs well into the 30s on 9+ satellites and I never get a lock.
That is encouraging.

But until we see the phone locking in several satellites, we can't say we have a fix.

temperbad
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon.mott View Post
For the record, guys... I used my vibrant for navigation again today... used Google Nav: the blue arrow never pointed the wrong way, and I got lock on two satellites out of 11 visible... so it CAN lock multiple satellites. The entire time I ran 20-25 feet of accuracy.
I also got 2 locked out of the 7 it found.

nricci
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by temperbad View Post
I also got 2 locked out of the 7 it found.
During my tests, 2 was the max number of satellites my phones were able to lock to.

Most of the time it locked to one satellite, sometimes to two. Never more than that.

temperbad
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nricci View Post
During my tests, 2 was the max number of satellites my phones were able to lock to.

Most of the time it locked to one satellite, sometimes to two. Never more than that.
same here, may not be the best but thats all I need as I only use it maybe once every month or so.

dcam1075
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Same here, using GPS Test I can usually see 11 satelittes or more but I have never been able to lock on to more than 3 at anyone time. With my MT3G Slide sitting right next to the Vibrant it locks on to 9 or more instantly. Definitely something wonky with either the GPS hardware or software. It works for navigation because you dont need that precise level of accurancy, but if you try to use it in a high rise area or an area with dense tree cover or mountains it fails all over the place. I really hope this is a software issue and Samsung addresses it quickly!

larryccf
Old
(Last edited by larryccf; 18th July 2010 at 07:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nricci View Post
I hope you are right and this can be fixed by software. I really need to upgrade our aging G1s.

hopefully i am

gave this some thought - i first started out researching this phone and got sucked into this info addiction and finding myself spending way too much time on what is basically a tool, and that i expect to work, nearly flawlessly out of the box

mine is due in tomorrow - if it demos this issue, and the software fix doesn't correct it or an update before the 14 day return period is up, it's going back and i'll get a garminfone - there's none of these issues being reported on that model, and while it's only a "600mHz" chipset, it will still be faster than the MyTouch 3G i had until recent (already missing it, it was basically a 1967 chevy 6 cyl, that just ran everytime you put the key in the ignition) -

the vibrant has a ton of "gee whiz" features, but nav, especially in rural areas is far more important to me, and to be honest, those gee whiz features are, well, gee whiz neat but not really that important to me, i won't use most of them like the younger generation will -

my target goal had been to incorporate a cellphone, internet 3G tethered access, and nav in one device, saving me from carrying a portable GPS unit for rental car use. I figured someone would come out with a decent android gps mapping program for android (hell i'm surprised garmin hasn't already released theirs alongside the garminfone), and with android 2.2 run it off the sd card

but the headaches i'm seeing, give me a little hesitation

jblade1000
Old
Thanks Meter 13
just wanted to provide another update. I got to drive a lot on sunday, from where i live (10 miles from downtown chicago), out to my parents, (25 miles away), then back into the city to the hyde park neighborhood to my cousins house (you go through downtown and take the famous lake shore drive).

To the parents house:
So, im not sure what the routing logic is defaulted to or if it can be changed in Google Maps with Navigation, but it wanted me to take a local road south for 6 miles and then get on a highway when I live a quarter of a mile from another highway. Maybe is shorter distance vs shorter time? Anyways, i got on there and it rerouted but kept trying to get me to get off at each exit for about 2 miles. It also lagged behind with its exit announcements (like i was moving too fast for it lol). It eventually caught up fine and had no issues once it realized what route i had chosen to take over the one it recommended.

From Parents to cousins:

This was interesting. So first off I want to preface this by saying i was following my parents and therefore was already moving when i decided to use the navigation. I went into my contacts, clicked my cousins address which opened up maps, and i hit the blue arrow to launch Navigation. But GPS wasnt on, and it asked me if i wanted to go to settings and enable it. I did, and it couldnt find me. It stated i was in a town about 18 miles away. Couldnt lock. i closed down maps and navigation, turned off gps and then turned it back on. Then i went back to my contacts, to the address which opened maps and this time i hit my location first. instant lock and accurate. then i hit the blue arrow, navigation came up with my route and all was good. I dont have a cradle or dock for my phone yet so i decided to test it out. at no point did it have a direct line of sight outside the car, I purposely kept it in the cubby hole in my dash. It worked flawlessly from then on.

Cousins to home:

I again chose to leave the phone in the cubby hole with no line of sight outside the car. I also detoured through downtown up and down Michigan Ave, Madison, Canal, Jackson, Adams (all of the major, touristy, skyskraper area, "The Loop"). I lost a signal once in my 20 minute downtown excursion and i believe it was the 3g that was lost, not the satellite. I then proceed home with no issues and a battery at 24% lol.

gotta get that dock and car charger....

P.S. My recommendation would be to always make sure gps is on before launching maps or navigation, and if your in maps, hit the mylocation button first before doing anything (searching, navigating, etc) it seems to like that order best.

heygrl
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I put it back on the stock settings. Works the same, Samsung will need to step in on this matter. I tried to turn MS-Based back on and it locked my phone up comPLETELY.. the fact that the phone sees strong sat signals means that there is nothing too serious going on here.
-Samsung Galaxy S III Ceramic/Marble White on T-Mobile
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant
-Samsung Captivate on T-Mobile

PolishDude
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I got a lock on 4 satellites today when i tested it out

larryccf
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yesterday I posted this elsewhere but figured it might serve this thread:

to give folks that are waiting for their phone to arrive and are worried this is a problem across all the vibrants shipping, i received my phone today, and first thing after getting the basics set up, went outside walking around the neighborhood - within 40 seconds of turning the GPS on, it had 11 satellites in view, and six locked

i wasn't using any of the downloaded GPS test apps, just found some gps performance pages in the native OS

when i opened google nav maps, it took slightly longer, first locating me about 100 feet from where i actually was, but in maybe 1.5 minutes it had me perfectly, to the point that i was standing dead center of the street at a "T" intersection right in front of my house, and it had me in that exact placement on the map

in case it helps some that e-wreck's fix didn't, i checked my settings, and under "SUPL/CP Settings" ,the SERVER & PORT are www.spirent-lcs.com. (and yes the "www" is there) and the port is 7275

I'm not smart enough to tell whether e-wreck's fix is a work around for a weak/defective gps chipset or corrupted software, i just know mine worked as well (actually better) than my MT3G and my garmin nuvi 680, neither of which could pull a gps signal inside my house. While obviously the vibrant is running A-GPS chips, so is the MT3G

have no idea what firmware this phone is running, tried the secret code listed elsewhere on this forum, but think it must be for the samsung i9000, but on my vibrant i kept getting an error msg that "could not process the request"

tomorrow i'm going to take it on a short 25 mile trip using "My Tracks" -
anyway, in case that helps anyone

under operation mode, it's set for "standalone"

and contrary to a lot of reports, my compass is on the money as well

also fwiw, my phone was ordered online 11:00PM on the 14th, so it isn't like it's one of the last ones shipped