Random shutdowns?

Search This thread

kopykatkiller

Jan 31, 2009
Anyone else having issues with the phone shutting itself off at random intervals? It is happening on mine and I have to pull the battery in order to power it back on.

So far have rooted, installed su file browser, and system panel. Only other thing I have done is removed Amazon mp3.

Thanks in advanced, just want to know if I need to exchange my phone or not.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

siberslug

Anyone else having issues with the phone shutting itself off at random intervals? It is happening on mine and I have to pull the battery in order to power it back on.

So far have rooted, installed su file browser, and system panel. Only other thing I have done is removed Amazon mp3.

Thanks in advanced, just want to know if I need to exchange my phone or not.

This happen to me yesterday 3 times after the phone's screen was off for more than 10 min
I uninstalled setcpu and it never happened again so far.

kopykatkiller

Jan 31, 2009
Ok maybe it is a setcpu setting that is defaulting wrong. Anyone with setcpu installed that is not experiencing this? If so, what are your settings?

hpz937

Feb 12, 2009
i also had this happen to me w/ setcpu active, i have yet to have it happen w/o setcpu

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
Are you guys changing the scaling governor? From early reports, the Galaxy S phones can't take ondemand, you have to stick it to conservative.

You can "simulate" ondemand by changing freq step in Advanced to 100%.

MINUS Stl

Jul 1, 2008
St. Louis
www.weplaycod.net
Ya know. I did actually change it to ondemand seeing as that's what I always used on my G1. Gonna reinstall and see how we do. Will definitely report back. Thanks.

UPDATE: 1 hour in on 'conservative' and all is good.

Last edited:

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
I probably have to put a warning or something for Galaxy S for ondemand. It's probably a kernel flaw for that.

For now, it looks like conservative is 100% stable, haven't had reports of crashes on it.

kopykatkiller

Jan 31, 2009
Yes, before the reply about the conservative setting I had messed with it and set to that. Wanted to verify before posting, but as stated that appears that is the key. Thanks guys. :)

Loving this phone by the way.

rUsTyRuSs

Jul 27, 2010
Los Angeles
Are you guys changing the scaling governor? From early reports, the Galaxy S phones can't take ondemand, you have to stick it to conservative.

You can "simulate" ondemand by changing freq step in Advanced to 100%.

I had SetCPU set to Conservative since I installed it. Yesterday it randomly powered off 6 times. I found this post and deleted SetCPU and am currently using Overclock widget. So far I haven't had it power off.
Has anyone else had this issue while having it set to conservative?

darkstrike

Feb 6, 2011
i have also noticed that if i set a profile so that the cpu has a max of 400mhz while screen is off it will crash on me randomly. i have to keep it at at least 800mhz. It has just started doing this.

also does anybody know if it is dangerous to run in performance mode at a constant 1000mhz? it makes my phone super fast(obviously) but sounds dangerous making it run at maximum power constantly while the screen is on.

liddodragon

Dec 23, 2010
I've never used or installed SetCPU and my phone was shutting down by itself as well and had to do the battery pull to get it back on. I found it to be the "Power saving mode" in the display setting. Ever since I turned it off it has not shut down.

chauza01

Feb 9, 2011
Hayward, Ca
I also experienced this once when I try to install setcpu on my vibrant running bionix-v 1.2. Uninstalled it and it never happend again. =)

meng8833

Dec 13, 2010
Twin Cities
this used to happen to me all the time so I got a replacement from tmobile but it continued to happen. It finally stopped when i rooted and flashed my phone

kopykatkiller

Jan 31, 2009
This thread is quite old, and while I do appreciate the contributions, it was long ago when this was posted and was dealing with a very early version of the over-clocked kernel. Please let this thread die, so that current ones maintain priority. :)

pobinghun

Sep 1, 2010
New Orleans
at least you guys are getting something. My phone shuts down 1-3 times a day. it is whether its rooted or not, customized rom or not. It just like to go to deep sleep really bad. Hopefully I can exchange it. But i just get my gps fixed, i dont know if i will get a new one with crappy gps.