Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

To Dev's: why not moving ALL non essential apps from the /system/app

Tip us?

Waza_Be
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
Default To Dev's: why not moving ALL non essential apps from the /system/app

Hello all dev's,

I get really frustrated on most of the ROM's because I get always some applications that I cannot remove manually.

It can be a lot of applications in the "official Froyo+sense" ROM like plurk, Facebook, etc.. Amazon in CyanogenMod, or other stuffs in other ROMs.

Why the hell don't you automatically allow us to remove ALL non essential apps from the settings/applications/manage applications? I have seen that you are able to do that.

Is there a technological reason? Why do you move some applications and not all?

Is that a space matter? A performance or technological reason?

I feel really frustrated on each ROM because I have to always use "adb shell rm system/app/*.apk" and plug my device on the computer.

Please answer me.

Thanks.

Profete162

LBTaylor1984
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Can't answer the question but good call.

personally I think all ROMS should come with Titanium backup and Rom Manager. but everything else should be user modifiable.

Profete162: you could open the zip prior to install and delete the apps you don't want then flash?

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,050
Exactly that - open the ZIP and remove what you don't want. It's the first thing I do with a new ROM and I also add what I do wanna use so it can't get deleted. Hell of a lot easier than adb
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r19

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

Waza_Be
Old
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
Exactly that - open the ZIP and remove what you don't want. It's the first thing I do with a new ROM and I also add what I do wanna use so it can't get deleted. Hell of a lot easier than adb
Yes, but it took maybe 10 minuts for maybe 2.000 users of the ROM or more if the ROM is Cyanogen.

It's a waste of 20.000 minuts for the world.. and we have to do that on each update.flash lol

When the dev with it's experience have only 2 minuts maybe to do that.

I understand that that's not a really big problem and the dev's have a lot of things to keep in mind, baut may be a good suggestion I hope for the next ROMS

abc27
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by profete162 View Post
Yes, but it took maybe 10 minuts for maybe 2.000 users of the ROM or more if the ROM is Cyanogen.

It's a waste of 20.000 minuts for the world.. and we have to do that on each update.flash lol

When the dev with it's experience have only 2 minuts maybe to do that.

I understand that that's not a really big problem and the dev's have a lot of things to keep in mind, baut may be a good suggestion I hope for the next ROMS
The Devs have to cater for everyone. Some people need those apps and would ditch the ROM if they were removed. If you don't need them just open the zip and remove them. It's not as if it takes more than 2 minutes.
http://cycle2013.com
No better cause to donate to

7pellc
Old
Thanks Meter 29
To be fair, this post is just highlighting your laziness to open up an zip manager and press delete a few times. Dev's have to cater for everyone, not just you.
Current Device: Nexus 4

Previous Device: HTC One X Black, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S2, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire, HTC Hero, HTC G1

Waza_Be
Old
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pellc View Post
To be fair, this post is just highlighting your laziness to open up an zip manager and press delete a few times. Dev's have to cater for everyone, not just you.
That's exactly why I ask to Move all the apps in the deletable section. So easier work for the dev's and no complain!!!
That's a request that would fit everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc27 View Post
Some people need those apps and would ditch the ROM if they were removed.
I want to delete them but allow to delete them. I think it's a fair question and you havn't understood the meaning of my request. I would like to add the possibility to remove them, just that.

I don't understand why question sound stupid to you!

The dev's are adding the old app2sd, spare parts, and some apps that it take 2 minuts to add too! So why my request is different from other?

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12,980

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That's exactly why I ask to Move all the apps in the deletable section. So easier work for the dev's and no complain!!!

I want to delete them but allow to delete them. I think it's a fair question and you havn't understood the meaning of my request. I would like to add the possibility to remove them, just that.

I don't understand why question sound stupid to you!

The dev's are adding the old app2sd, spare parts, and some apps that it take 2 minuts to add too! So why my request is different from other?
Those 'non essential' apps are essential to some of us. So why take them out??

It's so much easier to remove apps than it is to add them back in. Just remove them from the zip file as said if you don't like them before you flash.

And why the attitude? Questions that start 'Why the hell ...' and statements like 'I'm so frustrated ....' Mate - get a grip. Relax. It's a phone. You can remove the apps and if not just ignore them.

foxmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Quote:
The issue is that moving it into a user partition is then consuming valuable application space, and the spare space in /system is then effectively wasted.

If it's an issue, why not delete the apps from the zip yourself and then post your stripped down ROM, saving 19990 minutes!

Regards,

Dave

Gregoryrasputin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Hello all dev's,

I get really frustrated on most of the ROM's because I get always some applications that I cannot remove manually.

It can be a lot of applications in the "official Froyo+sense" ROM like plurk, Facebook, etc.. Amazon in CyanogenMod, or other stuffs in other ROMs.

Why the hell don't you automatically allow us to remove ALL non essential apps from the settings/applications/manage applications? I have seen that you are able to do that.

You could always make your own roms, that way it would be catered to your needs