Beginners GUIDE:Rooting a HTC Dream(T-Mobile G1) and Installing CYANOGENMOD 6 (FROYO)

Search This thread

Pastro100

Jul 17, 2010
pktos.blogspot.com
So I spent about 5-6 hours a few days ago searching for a full tutorial of rooting a T-mobile G1 (HTC Dream) and then installing Android 2.2 Froyo on it (Cyanogenmod 6).

I could not find a full guide anywhere and I ended up using like 5 different sites, going though a million pages, and ended up flashing unstable builds like 4 times so it was a huge headache! So I am creating a full tutorial here for all newbs like me so that all the info is consolidated into one place. =)

I FOUND THIS TO BE THE EASIEST METHOD OF ROOTING A G1 AND INSTALLING A STABLE BUILD OF FROYO.
THIS IS DESIGNED FOR THE COMPLETE BEGINNER!!

I HAVE THIS ON MY G1 WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!

Rooting Your Stock T-Mobile G1 (HTC DREAM) AND INSTALLING A STABLE ANDROID 2.2 FROYO BUILD. (CYANOGENMOD 6.0)

**Please make sure your phone is completely charged before doing this**
**I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. Do this at your own risk**
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was pretty worried about bricking my phone, but it is almost impossible if you do this step by step and correctly. Just make sure to follow the steps!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prerequisites:

**ALL DATA/APPLICATIONS WILL BE REMOVED FROM YOUR PHONE AND IT WILL BE RETURNED TO FACTORY SETTINGS AFTER THE FOLLOWING STEPS. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SYNC SET UP FOR YOUR DATA SO THAT YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR CONTACTS!** (TO SYNC GO TO SETTING > DATA SYNChronization > make sure AUTO SYNC is checked as well as contacts calendar and gmail)

Here is what you will need:
1) Your Phone
2) A Computer
3) USB Cable
Download the following file onto your computer: (DO NOT UNZIP OR CHANGE ANY FILES!)
ALL THE LINKS TO DOWNLOAD THE FILES ARE HERE: pktos.blogspot.com

Original DREAIMG.nbh
Cupcake Update.zip
FlashRec.apk
Amon Ra’s Recovery Image
G1 Radio
G1 HardSPL
Generic G1 ROM w/ Root
CYANOGENMOD 6 ROM
GAPPS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I) Formatting the SD Card and Downgrading to RC29(YOU WILL DELETE EVERYTHING OFF YOUR SD CARD!)

1. Plug your USB cable into your computer and then plug your phone in.
2. Mount your SD card by sliding down the notification bar and selecting mount.
3. Go to My Computer and access your SD card.
4. BACKUP ANY FILES THAT YOU WANT ONTO YOUR COMPUTER. VERY IMPORTANT!
5. Go back to my computer and right click on the drive that is your sd card. Click format. Choose FAT32 from the drop down and hit the format button. This removes all data from your memory card.
6. Once the format is complete: drag and drop "DREAIMG.nbh & Update.zip files that you downloaded into the sd card. (DO NOT create a folder or anything, just put it right in the SD card)
7. Unmount your phone by going through the notification bar and then unplug your phone Turn your phone off. from your computer.
8. Press and hold the camera+end key until until you see a screen with colored bars, then let go. This is the bootloader. The screen will turn gray with blue writing on it.
9. Hit the end key to start the update. DON'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL THIS IS DONE!
10. Once it is finished it press the trackball to reboot. (If it goes back the the colored bar screen and doesn't reboot try holding the home+menu+end key, if this doesn't work, just remove the batter and put it back in and turn the phone on)
11. Once the phone is on, just turn it back off.
12. Now press the Home+End Key until you see a triangle with an exclamation point in it (this is recovery mode). Once you see this let go of the buttons.
13. Open the keyboard and press ALT and L, and then Press ALT and S. Now wait until the phone reboots (it will do this automatically once the update is applied) (Don't worry if you see picture of a box and a g1 or a chip with an arrow)
14. Once the phone reboots, go ahead and and go through the welcome guide and get to the home screen.

II) Flashing a Recovery Image

1. Now with your phone at the home screen, go to settings>applications> an turn on unknown sources.
2. Now go to settings>SD card and Phone Storage>Unmount SD Card
3. Now Click format sd card and go ahead and format your sd card. It will automatically remount after.
4. Go back to the home screen and plug and mount the phone to the computer again as you did earlier.
5. Place the following files you downloaded earlier right into the sd card: FlashRec.apk, and Amon Ra's Recovery Image (Again not in any folder or anything, just on the sd card)
6. Once they are transferred go ahead and unmount and unplug your phone from the computer
7. Go and download a file manager from the android market (I suggest LINDA FILE MANAGER)
8. Once downloaded, open the file manager and go to SD card, and click the FlashRec.apk file and then click install. If it asks -> Tell it to use package installer to open it (it probably wont ask but if it does)
9. Once installed click open (it will be on bottom left of screen)
10. Then click the button that says "backup recovery image"
11. Once it says "backup complete" open the keyboard and type the following: /sdcard/recovery.img
12. The click "flash custom recover image" and wit until it says "Flash complete"
13. Go back to the home screen and then turn off the phone.
14. Turn the phone back on into recovery mode by holding down the home and power buttons. You will see a bunch of text on top of a black background with an HTC logo in the middle.

III) Partitioning and Loading the latest radio

1. Scroll down to "Partition SD Card"
2. Click "Partition SD"
3. Press the Home key to confirm
4. Use the trackball to increase the "swap size" to 96MB then press Home key
5. Make sure "EXT2" is set to 512 MB then Click the Home Key
6. Make sure "Fat32 size" is set to remainder and then press the Home Key and then the phone will begin partitioning.
7. Once partitioning is complete scroll down and select to "SD: ext2 to ext3" and then press the Home key. Wait for it to upgrade.
8. Once the Upgrade is complete hit the "back" button to get back to the main menu. Then scroll down and select "USB-MS Toggle" and wait for it to enable.
9. Now plug the phone into the computer again. Now transfer the files downloaded earlier: G1 Radio, G1 HardSPL, Generic G1 Rom w/ root, to the phone. (AGAIN KEEP THE FILES JUST IN THE SD CARD AND NOT IN A FOLDER OR SOMETHING)
10. Once the transfer is complete hit the Home key to disable the USB-MS toggle and return back to the main menu of recovery mode. Unplug your phone.
11. Scroll down and select "Flash .zip from SDcard"
12. Select the G1 Radio file (named OTA Radio or something like that) and hit the Home key to confirm. DO NOT SELECT ANY OTHER FILE, THE RADIO MUST BE DONE FIRST.
13. Once the Radio Flash is complete Press Home+Back to reboot the phone. It will then say "writing radio image" and then reboot back into recover mode (this will take some time)
14. Once back into recovery mode, scroll and select "Flash zip from SDcard" again.
15. This time choose the SPL file (named somthing like "Latest G1 SPL.zip") and then click the HOME KEY to confirm.
16. Once it finishes, hit HOME+Back to reboot once again. It will say "writing boot image" and then reboot
back to recovery mode.
17. Once again scroll to "Flash zip from SDCard" and choose the Generic G1 Rom file (Named something like Generic G1 Root Rom.zip) and click Home to confirm and wait for it to finish.
18. Once finished it should go back to the main menu and say"Install from SD card complete"
19. Now click on the "Reboot System Now" choice. (Home+Back)
20. Wait for the phone to reboot back into Android.

IV)Installing CYANOGENMOD 6 (Android 2.2 Froyo for HTC DREAM)

1. Once back into Android, turn the phone back off.
2. Hold the Home+Back keys to turn the phone on and get it back into recovery mode
3. Select "USB-MS Toggle" and wait for it to enable
4. Once enabled, plug your phone in and transfer the CYANOGENMOD6 and GAPPS file ito your SD card/phone. (again not in any folder, just in the sd card)
5. Once the files are transferred, press the Home key to disable USB-MS Toggle and return to the main menu, and then unplug your phone.
6. Scroll down and select "wipe" and then select "wipe data / factory reset" and then hit the Home key to confirm. Wait for it to finish the wipe. It will say "Data wipe complete"
7. Hit the back key to return to the main menu.
8. Scroll and select "Flash Zip from SDCard"
9. Select the CYANOGENMOD 6 ROM Named something like "update-cm-6.0.0-DS-RC1-signed.zip" and hit Home to confirm and wait for it to finish.
10. Once finished it will go back to the main menu and say "Install from SD Card Complete"
11. Go back to "Flash Zip from SDCard"
12. Select the Gapps File Named something like "gapps-mdpi-FRF91-3-signed.zip" and click home to confirm.
13. Once it is finished you should be back at the main menu. Select "Reboot System Now" and wait for the phone to reboot.
14. The reboot will take some time, (roughly 5-10 minutes) so don't freak out. Just put your phone down and go do something =)

CONGRATS! YOU have successfully rooted your G1 and installed CYANOGENMOD 6 (ANDROID 2.2 Froyo)

------------------------------
Thanks to:
xda
Cyanogen and company (You are all awesome)
TheUnlockr
addictivetips
Androidandme.com

ViMx

Mar 17, 2009
Hi,

Thank you for those nice tips.

I just have a problem when I have to reboot in recovery mode. My G1 stays on my provider screen (Orange FR)

My G1 is rooted.

I tried to use flashrec 1.1.2 and download the recovery img from the web, and it works but i don't see all the options required to make the partitions you ask.

Have you any solution for me ? (Another recovery img ?)

Pastro100

Jul 17, 2010
pktos.blogspot.com
Hey,

So I did some research on your issue and was not able to find any other fix other than downgrading to RC29 (the Dreaimg.nbh file) and then trying the process over again.

Something must have gone wrong when you were flashing the recovery image.

I will continue to see if I can figure out how this may have happened and provide some feedback.

SirThumpaLot

May 29, 2010
Vegas
Awesome tutorial, dood. It took me hours to figure out the whole root thing when I rooted my first G1 and eventually the whole process ended being a combination of multiple tutorials. Took even longer to find a stable ROM I could use as a daily driver. Big-Ups, yo!

Sent from my HTC Dream using XDA App

ViMx

Mar 17, 2009
I think I found the problem ...

I made the all process again and the problem seems to be here:

Attachments

• SANY0219.jpg
    SANY0219.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,177
Reactions: JeromeSama

Pastro100

Jul 17, 2010
pktos.blogspot.com

Hey so after looking at the screen shot it looks like you have a Rogers Dream with an EBI1 (3.22.xx) radio. I found some info here: wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=RE-recovery-img
xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4647751

Looks like you need this recovery image instead:
rapidshare.com/files/387561073/recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0R.img

Let me know.

Reactions: JeromeSama

edru

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
Hey,

So I did some research on your issue and was not able to find any other fix other than downgrading to RC29 (the Dreaimg.nbh file) and then trying the process over again.

Something must have gone wrong when you were flashing the recovery image.

I will continue to see if I can figure out how this may have happened and provide some feedback.

If you look at the CyanogenMod Wiki Page thats one of the first things listed to do.

Nice guide and all but the page has its own guide how to get there fully - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Full_Update_Guide_-_HTC_Dream

mejorguille

Dec 14, 2009
Florida
Good guide. I'm sure it will help out a lot of newbies. You should probably post his somewhere like the tmobile forums where more people will be able to use it. Just so you know, a few of the things you list are redundant and it can be shortened quite a bit. For example, with CM6 there is no need to partition the SD (for now), and swap is only ever helpful in Hero Sense UI roms. I'll help you cut some of the fat from it.

1) Your Phone
2) A Computer
3) USB Cable
Download the following file onto your computer: (DO NOT UNZIP OR CHANGE ANY FILES!)

Original DREAIMG.nbh
Cupcake Update.zip
FlashRec.apk
Amon Ra’s Recovery Image
G1 Radio
G1 HardSPL
Generic G1 ROM w/ Root
CYANOGENMOD 6 ROM
GAPPS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I) Formatting the SD Card and Downgrading to RC29(YOU WILL DELETE EVERYTHING OFF YOUR SD CARD!)
No need to format the SD card before rooting. The sdcard is FAT32 by default.
4. drag and drop "DREAIMG.nbh & Update.zip files that you downloaded into the sd card. (DO NOT create a folder or anything, just put it right in the SD card)
7. Unmount your phone by going through the notification bar and then unplug your phone Turn your phone off. from your computer.
8. Press and hold the camera+end key until until you see a screen with colored bars, then let go. This is the bootloader. The screen will turn gray with blue writing on it.
10. Once it is finished it press the trackball to reboot. (If it goes back the the colored bar screen and doesn't reboot try holding the home+menu+end key, if this doesn't work, just remove the batter and put it back in and turn the phone on)
12. Now press the Home+End Key until you see a triangle with an exclamation point in it (this is recovery mode). Once you see this let go of the buttons.
13. Open the keyboard and press ALT and L, and then Press ALT and S. Now wait until the phone reboots (it will do this automatically once the update is applied) (Don't worry if you see picture of a box and a g1 or a chip with an arrow)
14. Once the phone reboots, go ahead and and go through the welcome guide and get to the home screen.

1. Now with your phone at the home screen, go to settings>applications> an turn on unknown sources.
4. Go back to the home screen and plug and mount the phone to the computer again as you did earlier.
5. Place the following files you downloaded earlier right into the sd card: FlashRec.apk, and Amon Ra's Recovery Image (Again not in any folder or anything, just on the sd card)
6. Once they are transferred go ahead and unmount and unplug your phone from the computer
7. Go and download a file manager from the android market (I suggest LINDA FILE MANAGER)
8. Once downloaded, open the file manager and go to SD card, and click the FlashRec.apk file and then click install. If it asks -> Tell it to use package installer to open it (it probably wont ask but if it does)
11. Once it says "backup complete" open the keyboard and type the following: /sdcard/recovery.img
12. The click "flash custom recover image" and wit until it says "Flash complete"
14. Turn the phone back on into recovery mode by holding down the home and power buttons. You will see a bunch of text on top of a black background with an HTC logo in the middle.

It's redundant tohave an ext partition on CM6. No apps to EXT yet.
8. Once the Upgrade is complete hit the "back" button to get back to the main menu. Then scroll down and select "USB-MS Toggle" and wait for it to enable.
9. Now plug the phone into the computer again. Now transfer the files downloaded earlier: G1 Radio, G1 HardSPL, Generic G1 Rom w/ root, to the phone. (AGAIN KEEP THE FILES JUST IN THE SD CARD AND NOT IN A FOLDER OR SOMETHING)
10. Once the transfer is complete hit the Home key to disable the USB-MS toggle and return back to the main menu of recovery mode. Unplug your phone.
12. Select the G1 Radio file (named OTA Radio or something like that) and hit the Home key to confirm. DO NOT SELECT ANY OTHER FILE, THE RADIO MUST BE DONE FIRST.
13. Once the Radio Flash is complete Press Home+Back to reboot the phone. It will then say "writing radio image" and then reboot back into recover mode (this will take some time)
Hard SPL? psssht. After the radio update, you should either install an engineering SPL like 1.33.2003 or 1.33.2005. Note that the .2005 SPL is called danger. If flashed with an incompatible radio img (any 1.x radio), you will brick your phone. The .2003 spl is safe coming from stock 0.95.0000, so you can flash that with or without the radio image. 1.33.2005 is more useful though because it had 89 MB on /system vs 67.5 MB on stock. This should be flashed through fastboot, part of adb (android debug bridge)

2. Hold the Home+Back keys to turn the phone on and get it back into recovery mode
4. Once enabled, plug your phone in and transfer the CYANOGENMOD6 and GAPPS file ito your SD card/phone. (again not in any folder, just in the sd card)
5. Once the files are transferred, press the Home key to disable USB-MS Toggle and return to the main menu, and then unplug your phone.
6. Scroll down and select "wipe" and then select "wipe data / factory reset" and then hit the Home key to confirm. Wait for it to finish the wipe. It will say "Data wipe complete"
9. Select the CYANOGENMOD 6 ROM Named something like "update-cm-6.0.0-DS-RC1-signed.zip" and hit Home to confirm and wait for it to finish.
10. Once finished it will go back to the main menu and say "Install from SD Card Complete"
12. Select the Gapps File Named something like "gapps-mdpi-FRF91-3-signed.zip" and click home to confirm.
13. Once it is finished you should be back at the main menu. Select "Reboot System Now" and wait for the phone to reboot.
14. The reboot will take some time, (roughly 5-10 minutes) so don't freak out. Just put your phone down and go do something =)
From here I suggest navigation to steeings->CM settings and turning on CC, turn off dithering, and lower vm heap size to 12. Also, go to ADW settings->UI settings and check system performance. Reboot the phone.
CONGRATS! YOU have successfully rooted your G1 and installed CYANOGENMOD 6 (ANDROID 2.2 Froyo)
From here I suggest installing ADB on your computer. It gives you access to fastboot to flash dangerous files like DANGER spl and radio's safely, push files to the phone, make backups, run shell commands, and LOGCAT! If you get any FC's, run adb logcat and send the log to the dev! it make's finding bugs so much easier.

Thanks to:
xda
TheUnlockr
addictivetips
Androidandme.com

I think I removed enough things to make it a little shorter. I am not sure which SPL you are referring to as Hard spl. Can you reboot via camara+power and tell me what your hboot version is? Also you should probably look at firerats custom MTD partitions thread, it means that you don't need danger anymore.

D

Deleted member 804010

Great write-up, worked perfectly - even for an android newb like me

Thanks for the help

Have a good one

zenity

Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
For example, with CM6 there is no need to partition the SD (for now), and swap is only ever helpful in Hero Sense UI roms.

Also you should probably look at firerats custom MTD partitions thread, it means that you don't need danger anymore.

Wait... you mean we don't need to go through all the angst of 'should I / shouldn't I' over DangerSPL any more, if only I'd known that 20 minuters ago, ( didn't brick anything, but I did worry somewhat :D ).

And I'll just go repartiton my SD card again shall I? Lmao...... Yeah, new(ish) G1, you'd think I'd have learned to search and read more by now huh?

Excellent guide though, as a complete G1 noob it got me though it with a little less confusion than some other guides, ( I mean how do you flash a radio if you never did it before, most other guides assume you know how, or do not explicitly guide you through that step, given DangerSPL's reputation, I'd have considered that almost obligatory).

Happily running my favoured CM5 again, yes I know the guide is for CM6, but I stepped off the guide just a little to go for eclair rather than froyo ( almost feel guilty saying it, but it's just the same as my Nand flashed Kaiser now, perhaps a bit faster).

Thanks and cookies :) (off to do a little userbar and sig work :) )

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
San Francisco
Curious about Hard/Danger

Is that right? CM6 works with HardSPL just as with DangerSPL? Same apps (not neutered at all)?

Gonna try this guide with HardSPL for the first time. I haven't found actual evidence of performance differences, so if I notice anything I'll post back. I had rooted and install CM5.0.8 on another friends G1. We'll see how this goes. Thanks for the guide.

mejorguille

Dec 14, 2009
Florida
Is that right? CM6 works with HardSPL just as with DangerSPL? Same apps (not neutered at all)?

Gonna try this guide with HardSPL for the first time. I haven't found actual evidence of performance differences, so if I notice anything I'll post back. I had rooted and install CM5.0.8 on another friends G1. We'll see how this goes. Thanks for the guide.
No Hardspl won't work unless you use firerat's mtd hack.

vonpixel

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
Good guide! Im excieted to see so many positive posts.
I however have run into a problem.

During this step:

The screen does not go grey with blue writing. It stays light blue/white and gives the two options.
Do you want to start update?
<action> yes
<power> no

If I hit the end key it goes back to <send> fast boot mode and does nothing at really. Is this right? I left it for an hour and nothing has happened at all. I have no indication that it is doing anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I spent about 5-6 hours a few days ago searching for a full tutorial of rooting a T-mobile G1 (HTC Dream) and then installing Android 2.2 Froyo on it (Cyanogenmod 6).

I could not find a full guide anywhere and I ended up using like 5 different sites, going though a million pages, and ended up flashing unstable builds like 4 times so it was a huge headache! So I am creating a full tutorial here for all newbs like me so that all the info is consolidated into one place. =)

I FOUND THIS TO BE THE EASIEST METHOD OF ROOTING A G1 AND INSTALLING A STABLE BUILD OF FROYO.
    THIS IS DESIGNED FOR THE COMPLETE BEGINNER!!

I HAVE THIS ON MY G1 WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!

Rooting Your Stock T-Mobile G1 (HTC DREAM) AND INSTALLING A STABLE ANDROID 2.2 FROYO BUILD. (CYANOGENMOD 6.0)

**Please make sure your phone is completely charged before doing this**
    **I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. Do this at your own risk**
    I was pretty worried about bricking my phone, but it is almost impossible if you do this step by step and correctly. Just make sure to follow the steps!
    Prerequisites:

**ALL DATA/APPLICATIONS WILL BE REMOVED FROM YOUR PHONE AND IT WILL BE RETURNED TO FACTORY SETTINGS AFTER THE FOLLOWING STEPS. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SYNC SET UP FOR YOUR DATA SO THAT YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR CONTACTS!** (TO SYNC GO TO SETTING > DATA SYNChronization > make sure AUTO SYNC is checked as well as contacts calendar and gmail)

1) Your Phone
    2) A Computer
    3) USB Cable

Original DREAIMG.nbh
    Cupcake Update.zip
    FlashRec.apk
    Amon Ra’s Recovery Image
    G1 Radio
    G1 HardSPL
    Generic G1 ROM w/ Root
    CYANOGENMOD 6 ROM
    GAPPS

4. BACKUP ANY FILES THAT YOU WANT ONTO YOUR COMPUTER. VERY IMPORTANT!
    5. Go back to my computer and right click on the drive that is your sd card. Click format. Choose FAT32 from the drop down and hit the format button. This removes all data from your memory card.
    6. Once the format is complete: drag and drop "DREAIMG.nbh & Update.zip files that you downloaded into the sd card. (DO NOT create a folder or anything, just put it right in the SD card)

3. Now Click format sd card and go ahead and format your sd card. It will automatically remount after.

1. Scroll down to "Partition SD Card"
    2. Click "Partition SD"
    3. Press the Home key to confirm
    4. Use the trackball to increase the "swap size" to 96MB then press Home key
    5. Make sure "EXT2" is set to 512 MB then Click the Home Key
    6. Make sure "Fat32 size" is set to remainder and then press the Home Key and then the phone will begin partitioning.
    7. Once partitioning is complete scroll down and select to "SD: ext2 to ext3" and then press the Home key. Wait for it to upgrade.
    14. Once back into recovery mode, scroll and select "Flash zip from SDcard" again.
    15. This time choose the SPL file (named somthing like "Latest G1 SPL.zip") and then click the HOME KEY to confirm.
    16. Once it finishes, hit HOME+Back to reboot once again. It will say "writing boot image" and then reboot
    back to recovery mode.
    17. Once again scroll to "Flash zip from SDCard" and choose the Generic G1 Rom file (Named something like Generic G1 Root Rom.zip) and click Home to confirm and wait for it to finish.
    18. Once finished it should go back to the main menu and say"Install from SD card complete"
    19. Now click on the "Reboot System Now" choice. (Home+Back)
    20. Wait for the phone to reboot back into Android.

Thanks to:
    xda
    TheUnlockr
    addictivetips
    Androidandme.com

Hey so after looking at the screen shot it looks like you have a Rogers Dream with an EBI1 (3.22.xx) radio. I found some info here: wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=RE-recovery-img
    xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4647751

Looks like you need this recovery image instead:
    rapidshare.com/files/387561073/recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0R.img

Let me know.
    probably not the same files, find the htc desire thread and you should get all the help you need there
    of course, but just so you know not all senior members have all the answers :)