Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,152 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AOSP vs. Sense

Tip us?

akarol
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 241
Default AOSP vs. Sense

I've been using HTC Sense since getting my Evo on launch day and have been loving it. However, I keep hearing about AOSP and how the much-awaited Cyanogen ROM that is in development is using it.

What are some of the key differences between both?!

geekykid
Old
Thanks Meter 1
someone should post a picture comparison of Sense vs AOSP so threads like these will stop being created.
my current phones:
evo4g (since release day)
epic4g (the wife's phone)
nookColor
thunderbolt (cause sprints service sucks in dc

retired phones:
palm pre (original)
samsung instinct
sanyo 8200 (had about eight of these, literally)

MrDSL
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2509

DONATE TO ME
Download and flash evo v9 and find out for yourself.
Phone: Optimus G Pro
ROM: CM10
Kernel
Theme: Mixer
Radio: BM9615A

Follow me on Twitter @Mr_DSL

IAMCLP1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDSL View Post
Download and flash evo v9 and find out for yourself.
That does not help very much ...

This question will be asked 4923891x with people posting answers like this. I also have this same question as I have only flashed the Fresh, and Dam rom's.

BrianDigital
Old
Thanks Meter 309

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCLP1 View Post

This question will be asked 4923891x with people posting answers like this. I also have this same question as I have only flashed the Fresh, and Dam rom's.
No seriously, take a look for yourself its not that hard....rolls eyes

MrDSL
Old
(Last edited by MrDSL; 17th July 2010 at 08:10 PM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2509

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

It will happen no matter what..Its not like AOSP is something new. There are countless pics of AOSP on these forums already. Google pic search for AOSP and you will also find many.

You have to use a AOSP ROM to really know how much better then sense it really is. Sure you'll loose some fancy dancy widgets but I have found good replacements for all the ones I used.
Phone: Optimus G Pro
ROM: CM10
Kernel
Theme: Mixer
Radio: BM9615A

Follow me on Twitter @Mr_DSL

IAMCLP1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDSL View Post
It will happen no matter what..Its not like AOSP is something new. There are countless pics of AOSP on these forums already. Google pic search for AOSP and you will also find many.

You have to use a AOSP ROM to really know how much better then sense it really is. Sure you'll loose some fancy dancy widgets but I have found good replacements for all the ones I used.
Yeah, I have looked at all the pics, etc ... I will just wait for this AOSP Froyo to be released then I will see first hand

You are correct this will be asked more times than it should, but better answers help sometimes. (and it was not like this was a bad question, vs some that I have seen)

laydros
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Here are some screen shots, I'll try to add more later.

Quote:
Yeah, I have looked at all the pics, etc ... I will just wait for this AOSP Froyo to be released then I will see first hand

You are correct this will be asked more times than it should, but better answers help sometimes. (and it was not like this was a bad question, vs some that I have seen)
It is a very different feel. I like clean/simple things (I like Apples computers and gadgets, for example) and to me AOSP has a more clean simple feel. I think Sense has a great look to it, but some of the bubbliness is tacky to me. The lock screen and rosie are nice, but most of the apps (calendar, RSS, etc.) and widgets are gaudy to me. I particularly dislike the bubble at the bottom to switch tabs thing, just ugly to me.

I also think there are some big UI mistakes in Sense. Editing a contact is confusing for instance.

However I do like the black notification bar, and I like Bugless Beast's launcher with a black google search bar.

In the end it is a matter of taste. One of the reasons I moved from my iPhone to an Android phone was to have more options in regards to this kind of stuff.