AOSP vs. Sense

OP akarol

17th July 2010, 05:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 262

2,065 posts
More
I've been using HTC Sense since getting my Evo on launch day and have been loving it. However, I keep hearing about AOSP and how the much-awaited Cyanogen ROM that is in development is using it.

What are some of the key differences between both?!
17th July 2010, 05:25 PM   |  #2  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
More
someone should post a picture comparison of Sense vs AOSP so threads like these will stop being created.
17th July 2010, 06:47 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 2,509

7,071 posts
Donate to Me
More
Download and flash evo v9 and find out for yourself.
17th July 2010, 07:45 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDSL

Download and flash evo v9 and find out for yourself.

That does not help very much ...

This question will be asked 4923891x with people posting answers like this. I also have this same question as I have only flashed the Fresh, and Dam rom's.
17th July 2010, 08:05 PM   |  #5  
Flag Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Thanks Meter: 315

2,809 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCLP1

This question will be asked 4923891x with people posting answers like this. I also have this same question as I have only flashed the Fresh, and Dam rom's.

No seriously, take a look for yourself its not that hard....rolls eyes
17th July 2010, 08:05 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 2,509

7,071 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It will happen no matter what..Its not like AOSP is something new. There are countless pics of AOSP on these forums already. Google pic search for AOSP and you will also find many.

You have to use a AOSP ROM to really know how much better then sense it really is. Sure you'll loose some fancy dancy widgets but I have found good replacements for all the ones I used.
Last edited by MrDSL; 17th July 2010 at 08:10 PM.
17th July 2010, 08:19 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDSL

It will happen no matter what..Its not like AOSP is something new. There are countless pics of AOSP on these forums already. Google pic search for AOSP and you will also find many.

You have to use a AOSP ROM to really know how much better then sense it really is. Sure you'll loose some fancy dancy widgets but I have found good replacements for all the ones I used.

Yeah, I have looked at all the pics, etc ... I will just wait for this AOSP Froyo to be released then I will see first hand

You are correct this will be asked more times than it should, but better answers help sometimes. (and it was not like this was a bad question, vs some that I have seen)
17th July 2010, 09:15 PM   |  #8  
Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 40

475 posts
More
Here are some screen shots, I'll try to add more later.

Quote:

Yeah, I have looked at all the pics, etc ... I will just wait for this AOSP Froyo to be released then I will see first hand

You are correct this will be asked more times than it should, but better answers help sometimes. (and it was not like this was a bad question, vs some that I have seen)

It is a very different feel. I like clean/simple things (I like Apples computers and gadgets, for example) and to me AOSP has a more clean simple feel. I think Sense has a great look to it, but some of the bubbliness is tacky to me. The lock screen and rosie are nice, but most of the apps (calendar, RSS, etc.) and widgets are gaudy to me. I particularly dislike the bubble at the bottom to switch tabs thing, just ugly to me.

I also think there are some big UI mistakes in Sense. Editing a contact is confusing for instance.

However I do like the black notification bar, and I like Bugless Beast's launcher with a black google search bar.

In the end it is a matter of taste. One of the reasons I moved from my iPhone to an Android phone was to have more options in regards to this kind of stuff.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread