Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,551 Members 37,532 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Phone 7 WILL NOT be supported on ANY current WinMo Phones

Tip us?

RustyGrom
Old
(Last edited by RustyGrom; 18th July 2010 at 03:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default Windows Phone 7 WILL NOT be supported on ANY current WinMo Phones

Yes, that's correct. Windows Phone 7 will NOT be officially supported on anything that is currently on the market. Microsoft has repeatedly stated this. It has rather high end specs that very few phones on the market can even support. In addition, Microsoft has a very firm mandate on things such as having the 3, and only 3, buttons on the front of the device.

So will someone here be able to port WP7 to a current device, unofficially? It depends on which device. Does your phone have a Snapdragon CPU? If the answer is no then there is very, and I mean very, little chance of your phone ever seeing WP7. There's a few reasons but the first and foremost being that all of the binaries are compiled with the ARMv7 instruction set. So basically the only phones (that I know of) are the HTC HD2, Acer neotouch, and Toshiba TG01. The most likely is the HD2 which is actively being worked on by Da_G and probably some other people. Several Android phones also sport the snapdragon but we've yet to see an android phone with WM6 running on it so I doubt we'll see WP7 on one either. So I won't straight up rule out other phones from getting some sort of WP7 hack but it's extremely unlikely. If it somehow does, expect the performance to be extremely crappy. There's a reason MS set the requirements to what they did.

Mods: please sticky.
aka FlatSurfSucks aka @AdamUCF.

Da_G
Old
(Last edited by Da_G; 18th July 2010 at 03:30 AM.)
Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,515

DONATE TO ME
Stickied. WP7/CE6/(future CE7) is quite the different ball game from WM2003/WM5/WM6/WM6.5/CE5/CE5.x...

There's also the LG Expo which runs QSD/ARMv7, so is a possible target.

The major hurdle with porting is that our current devices contain Radio ROMs, Drivers, and Bootloaders which all target the CE5.x platform. CE6+ is a different beast on a low level (in a good way, there are major improvements across the board which required breaking API compatibility - these improvements have been long overdue)

With access to whitepapers documenting the hardware's interface(s) and initialization routines, Platform Builder for WP7, and a good bit of time it's certainly possible to bring any platform supporting ARMv7 up to WP7. However such information/software is not public, so it's up to the OEM to either develop this (not at all likely) or release the requisite platform BSP (also not at all likely) to enable anyone to port their devices to WP7.

There are other possible methods such as emulation, but the amount of work involved would outweigh the end result by a good margin. The OEMs major concerns with porting ROMs is the sharing of 3rd party software to which they are not authorized to license distribution (for example, HTC licenses WM from MSFT, and also licenses a number of other technologies such as swype)

One possible solution for this in an ideal world is for Qualcomm to license HTC to distribute a binary-only driver solution, similar to Nvidias driver license on *nix. Combining that with HTC's own OEM specific binary-only libraries, would give us a bare-bones Platform BSP. This would contain only technologies owned by Qualcomm and HTC. They could then release this bare bones, binary-only, pre-linking BSP, and we could, on our end, combine it with the WP7 Platform Builder, and come out with a completely stock WP7 ROM.

This would allow us to constantly update the OS version, add our own 3rd party software as needed, and eliminate the need to use "cooking" tools to build a ROM (instead we could use MSFT's own PB or a derivative of such)

In this situation there wouldn't be any licensing issues outside of Qualcomm and HTC's own IP. Will they ever do this? I doubt it. But it would be very, very nice! It would satisfy the OEM's requirement that we don't redistribute 3rd party software, and satisfy our own needs to tweak our phones to perfection. Note that Qualcomm/HTC is interchangable with any SoC developer and any OEM. Rather than Qualcomm/HTC it could be Texas Instruments/Samsung, or xxxx/yyyy

Of course there are some other snags with this (WP7 Platform Builder is not publicly available), but one can dream right?

Side note, for more info on what a BSP is from the horses mouth, look here.
Support my work! The more phones I can get my hands on the more ROM goodness I can churn out. Like BUTTAH

kalpeshmist
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Da_G, respecting all the tries that have been made till now, if ever Windows Phone 7 would be ported it would be on very certain device - like lg expo or hd2, as per the hardware requirements. it would be better to buy a windows phone 7 device than buying and porting wp7 on the above devices.

microsoft is trying to create a hype for windows phone 7, and is in the news though not much. almost all windows mobile OEMs are making wp7 devices. if an OEM is making a device with high end specs, it won't port its own software(ui) on the buggy windows mobile, but will buy license for let's say android or why not wp7. we have seen how the OEM tried hard to optimise windows mobile 6.1 and 6.5 on snapdragon. windows mobile still got the future but with limited hardware..
HTC Hero (GSM 2.1)

www.TechIt.in
twitter: @kalpeshmistry

pack21
Old
Thanks Meter 201
I am one of many owners of an HD2.

Who will lose is the MS.

Will lose many WM7 ambassadors..... will a HD2 owner, buy a new WM7 device ?.......no!.......we will port the HD2 to Android, and become one more Droid embassador.

This is the business of MS in the world of smartphones.....a no upgrade SO\Device seller.
HTC HD2 - Lumia 800 - Nexus 7 - Galaxy S4 LTE

Windcape
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Why would you swap to Android? When you need a new phone, a WP7 would make a good replacement for any Windows Mobile device.

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcape View Post
Why would you swap to Android? When you need a new phone, a WP7 would make a good replacement for any Windows Mobile device.
Because its Android....its open source, its just better ok, dont question!

i think the issue is that the HD2 is more than capable of doing a lot more than it currently does and i for one have an issue with upgrading phones because of software, if i want an upgrade its for hardware reasons so naturally if other OS's can be ported to the HD2 then it will sustain my device a bit longer. until its no longer able to run what i want it to run.

Windcape
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Android phones are as open source as iPhones are (Android OS, and Darwin OS is open source, most of the rest is closed-source modifications).

Anyway, I don't think it's Microsoft's choice if HD2 get WP7 or not, but HTCs. And HTC look forward to a large profit margin by selling extra much hardware this year, so obviously they wouldn't want to upgrade HD2 -- at least not the first six months.

pack21
Old
(Last edited by pack21; 31st July 2010 at 01:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcape View Post
Because I paid well for it,a shortly time, and i dont want to spend more money, to bought a new Device, always MS upgrade the OS....opposite of the top devices with Android or iphone.

was my mistake, I can not blame anyone else, I was naive in thinking that it would take a WM7 upgrade due to good specs of HD2.

my mistake.

But I will not throw out my HD2
HTC HD2 - Lumia 800 - Nexus 7 - Galaxy S4 LTE

Windcape
Old
Thanks Meter 4
For the iPhone you get a upgrade for a small price, for Android you're completely relying on the mercy of your manufacturer. And the less you pay, the less chance in hell there is you get a update, special for Android phones.

You're being naive if you think Android is any different here.

istoica
Old
Thanks Meter 18
3 buttons is a must? Nog sure if that could be true... some manufacturers would be left out/give up themselves because of this constraint.
7 for phones... MSFT is losing smartphones market share. Trust me... they will make it available for the... gen pop
SAMSUNG GALAXY S III (I9300) Video review: VIDEO 1 | VIDEO 2 | VIDEO 3