Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,220 Members 45,560 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sim Unlock

Tip us?

jentech
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Sim Unlock

Anyone know how to unlock the Captivate once it's rooted? Or do I need to buy a code from one of those sites? Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------
LG G2 (D803) - Bell

mk69
Old
(Last edited by mk69; 19th July 2010 at 04:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentech View Post
Anyone know how to unlock the Captivate once it's rooted? Or do I need to buy a code from one of those sites? Thanks.
Did'nt they pass some law or loose some class action suit, after 90 days in good standing or something like that AT&T has to give you the unlocked code... The only exception I think was the Iphone, something about thats apple's terms to unlock or not....

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=9533

Croak
Old
Thanks Meter 228
You're in the same boat as me. I bought one today knowing it was locked and might not have a code available for a few weeks from one of the "usual" places.

If you did like I did and bought it legit from an AT&T store, there's a chance you can call up AT&T tomorrow (what I'm trying) and get it unlocked all proper like. Otherwise, you may be in for a bit of a wait.

jentech
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk69 View Post
Did'nt they pass some law or loose some class action suit, after 90 days in good standing or something like that AT&T has to give you the unlocked code... The only exception I think was the Iphone, something about thats apple's terms to unlock or not....
Problem is I bought it outright from Best Buy today to use on Rogers in Canada, so I don't have an ATT account. I thought the unlock would be relatively painless.
LG G2 (D803) - Bell

jentech
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
You're in the same boat as me. I bought one today knowing it was locked and might not have a code available for a few weeks from one of the "usual" places.

If you did like I did and bought it legit from an AT&T store, there's a chance you can call up AT&T tomorrow (what I'm trying) and get it unlocked all proper like. Otherwise, you may be in for a bit of a wait.
There's a guy in Burnaby who says it can unlock it using a cable, not a code. Going there tomorrow. Will let you know.
LG G2 (D803) - Bell

Croak
Old
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentech View Post
There's a guy in Burnaby who says it can unlock it using a cable, not a code. Going there tomorrow. Will let you know.
Please do.

jentech
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Please do.
..and likewise let me know how you make out with AT&T.
LG G2 (D803) - Bell

hbkmog
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Yeah me too. One reason I'm hesitating to buy it is that it's sim locked to AT&T. Since I also travel to other countries, I really need a totally unlocked phone. Please let us know how it turns out.

jentech
Old
(Last edited by jentech; 19th July 2010 at 04:08 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Phoned AT&T this morning and was told that the Captivate cannot be unlocked, at least not right now.

I called back (sometimes that helps) and chatted with another rep. and was told that AT&T has a 10 month exclusivity to the Samsung Captivate, and there would be no unlock until then.
10 months?? exclusive?? Get a clue AT&T, this thing is available on every major network, and unlocked on most.
LG G2 (D803) - Bell

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
If you don't have a post-paid AT&T account, you will get no help from AT&T for this unlock.

But most AT&T reps have no clue what it is. You have to explain to them. But only if you meet the qualification (post-paid, at least 90 days etc.).